Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:18:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 457
Total: 459

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why Some Monkeys Don't Get AIDS( what became of this discovery )  (Read 9979 times)

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
Why Some Monkeys Don't Get AIDS( what became of this discovery )
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:53:13 am »
   http://www.physorg.com/news179085831.html

" Sooty mangabeys are able to rapidly shut down the immune response after the initial SIV infection, and remain healthy. The mangabeys respond to SIV in a manner similar to rhesus macaques, which get sick, or to humans infected with HIV, but the mangabeys do not get sick,” says first author Steven E. Bosinger, PhD , a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.

“The Penn study is a step forward in understanding why some African monkeys do not get sick when they are infected with SIV, which is a key question in contemporary AIDS research,” says senior author Guido Silvestri, MD, associate professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Director of Clinical Virology."

Anybody know what became of this discovery ?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:05:41 am by sam66 »
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline georgep77

Re: Why Some Monkeys Don't Get AIDS( what became of this discovery )
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 09:24:30 am »
  http://www.physorg.com/news179085831.html

That the Sooty monkeys wasn't bitten by the tiger.

;D
Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 10:00:53 am »

It's a recent discovery, so I don't think they've done much yet with it.
But you could always drop Prof. Silvestri an e-mail :)

Guido Silvestri, M.D.

Associate Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Director, Clinical Virology

Office Address:
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Suite 705 Stellar-Chance Laboratories
422 Curie Boulevard
Philadelphia PA 19104

Office: 215.573.5363
Lab: TBA
Fax: 215.573.5369
E-mail: gsilvest@mail.med.upenn.edu

Our laboratory is interested in understanding the pathogenesis of the AIDS-associated depletion of CD4+ T lymphocytes. In particular, we are interested in the mechanisms by which SIV infection of natural hosts, such as the sooty mangabeys (an African monkey species) is not followed by CD4+ T cell depletion and AIDS despite chronic high levels of viral replication. This circumstance is strikingly different from the HIV infection of humans, or the SIV infection of non-natural hosts, i.e. rhesus macaques. Our studies focus on the host determinants that determine the rate of T cell depletion and progression to AIDS, and on the role that the host cellular immune responses play in suppressing virus replication, or alternatively, in inducing pathogenic consequences. We plan to apply these concepts to (i) the development of new, immune-based therapies for HIV infection (i.e., IL-2, IL-7) to be used in addition to standard antiretroviral therapy, and (ii) the design of T-cell-based AIDS vaccines that will generate memory T cell responses against HIV/SIV that may confer significant protection while not inducing any relevant immunopathology.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:42:00 am »
As Trout mentions, it's  a recent discovery.

Maybe you are referring to other studies such as the one done on New World Owl Monkeys, in which it was found that they have a protein (AoT5Cyp) that potently blocks HIV infection.

Scientists have been able to engineer a human version of this protein by fusing human cyclophilin A to human TRIM5 (hT5Cyp). According to an article in Science Daily, "The authors concluded that hT5Cyp is a robust inhibitor of HIV-1 replication and a promising anti–HIV-1 gene therapy candidate."

There was a recent thread that discussed this discovery:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28867.0

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:13:08 am »
Maybe you are referring to other studies such as the one done on New World Owl Monkeys, in which it was found that they have a protein (AoT5Cyp) that potently blocks HIV infection.

Scientists have been able to engineer a human version of this protein by fusing human cyclophilin A to human TRIM5 (hT5Cyp).
The side effect is a constant craving for bananas and a tendency to flash your genitals in public.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 11:21:22 am »
The side effect is a constant craving for bananas and a tendency to flash your genitals in public.

LOL

Not a bad trade-off for getting rid of HIV.

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 05:19:49 pm »
maybe we should be more interested in knowing what "humans" are doing on current promissing trials rather than wondering about monkeys !!!
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:32:19 pm »
maybe we should be more interested in knowing what "humans" are doing on current promissing trials rather than wondering about monkeys !!!

Per usual, you fail to understand the significance of this research before flipping your hair and tossing out a dumb comment. There's no "wondering" here.  If they hadn't studied these HIV-resistant monkeys they never would have found this protein, which could be the cure for HIV. 

But you probably can't understand that and think Santa will bring us the cure...

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »
GNYC09  it's rude and disrespectfull to acuse others of being dumb,i could have replied in the same manner ,but i refuse to make this board a medium for imature behavior.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 07:37:32 pm »

I don't think your dumb sensual and I don't think GNYC09 does either.  Perhaps you should read his last post a little slower so you can understand. ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 08:03:56 pm »
I thought they discovered the simians who became ill were all disco-dancing poppers-snorting sexually promiscuous homosexuals who took massive doses of AZT...

Just ask Christine Maggiore if you can find a good medium.

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:07:00 pm »
GNYC, you need to find the way to express a dissenting opinion without slamming the member you're responding to. Rude comments such as your latest are not acceptable here.

Say whatever  you want to but without attacking anyone.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 10:07:45 pm »
why testing mice,then monkeys,then humans ? if you want to save 35 000 000 people infected !,why not monkeys then few humans and make it quicker . Or are they concerned about monkeys life so they test rats first ? i cant understand this.
a month ago, you thought research with monkeys was just fine.
How come you don't like monkeys anymore?
 ???

I have noticed that you seem pretty angry a lot of the time because research isn't moving at the pace or in the direction that you would like it to. I would kindly suggest that you would be better served by channeling that energy into perhaps getting more education, going into research yourself, and finding the cure; or being an activist, marching an Washington, and demanding they spent the money better to find the cure. Taking it out on a bunch of people in the AidsMeds forum who have nothing to do with the actual research and are just reporting the news and updates just seems rude and unproductive. Just saying. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 10:30:19 pm »

!!! Yes !!!

er, I mean, welcome back....
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:06 am »
I thought they discovered the simians who became ill were all disco-dancing poppers-snorting sexually promiscuous homosexuals who took massive doses of AZT...

Just ask Christine Maggiore if you can find a good medium.

LOL..  Boo welcome back!

Offline sam66

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 08:53:21 am »

I read somewhere recently we share 50% of our genes with earth worms.
         And 95- 98 % of our genes with chimpanzees and gorillas.

We might be related to these creatures more than we think or want to be.

On the other hand may be the monkeys are really pissedoff we closely related to them.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 09:01:29 am by sam66 »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 02:29:16 pm »
  I read somewhere recently we share 50% of our genes with earth worms.
       [/quote

I guess this why my mother use to say my uncle was scum of the earth...

Offline sam66

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 12:32:43 pm »

Hey  Skeebo,

Talking about worms and monkeys, I just heard  this Global warming is  a
                    big con started by Polar Bears;   they just want a free ride in our zoos.   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.