Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:34:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 524
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Starting Truvada and Sustiva this Sat, any tips?  (Read 5616 times)

Offline 9941_K

Starting Truvada and Sustiva this Sat, any tips?
« on: January 08, 2008, 08:01:45 am »
Hello everyone

Haven't logged on for a while and hope you guys are fine and ok!!  :)

A few weeks ago I posted on starting meds soon
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17551.msg222565#msg222565

After compromising with doc I will start truvada & sustiva this Sat. I know my body is on downhill and its about time to start meds (though I feel very fine)

Now I'm abit worried about Sustiva. I have a pretty demanding & busy job during day time and need my full attention. I know Sustiva will affect central nervous system and wonder if there's any tips to minimise its impact during daytime, esp. in setting my intake time before sleep?

Is there any tips / suggestions, esp for those who went through the adjustment period!

I would be also grateful if there's any special change I should take note on my body in the coming weeks and to learn more about the long term side effect of Sustiva

The road in front of me is really unknown but I'll try my best to cope with it. I'm so glad to have found this site which has been really helpful and supportive for me

Hugs
K

25 Jul 07 - worst day in my life :( :( :(
27 Jul - CD4 143 (13.00%); T4/T8 0.22; VL 26,000
9 Oct - CD4 202 (12.63%); T4/T8 0.13; VL n/a
5 Nov - CD4 162 (11.57%); T4/T8 0.18; VL 64,000
12 Jan 08 - Start truvada & sustiva

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting Truvada and Sustiva this Sat, any tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 08:21:19 am »
When you take the Sustiva, don't eat foods that have high fat content.  That will greatly intensify the side effects of brainfog.  I'm sure others will have some good advice for you as well.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline btobaby

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 09:15:29 am »
I have found taking sustiva in the evening to be the best. Taking it before bed so that the high I feel helps me fall asleep but early enough so that I'm not foggy in the morning. It takes a little fine tuning. Good luck.
B

Offline randym431

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 04:46:58 pm »
Im not on truvada itself (on something else), but I am on sustiva as part of my combo.
You'll feel wacky the first few hours (like drunk or wobblie).
But only for the first few hours. When you awake you should feel fine again.
So thats why they say to take at night, to sleep it off. And miss the 3-4 hour drunk feeling.
But after a week or three, even those first few hour drunk feeling sides should lessen a lot.
My sides lasted 10 days (the drunk feeling) and  really only the first time was a problem,
cause its a new drug you're taking and never felt its sides before, so I kinda worried
but just be calm, try to go to sleep. It wont kill you, just feels weird.

After 10 days, I usually felt hardly no sides at all. I really could take it day or night and still function like normal.
They say the body takes a few months to get use to the sides, but I found it was more like a few days.

Its just that sustiva does, especially for the first time, make you feel weird or different. Cold-ish, clam-ish,
dizzy and general just weird. But just keep calm and try to sleep those first few hours off.
Like I said, it wont kill you but you might feel really weird. This new feeling can set off a panic attack
in those that have panic attacks, so you might have someone in the household be aware of you starting the new
drug, so you can wake then and talk and get your mind off it, if a panic attack starts up. Or have a friend handy to call
on the phone if you need someone to talk to. This all is more for any panic attack one might get, not the drug.
It helps to talk to someone if you're thinking your having a panic attack, due to those new weird drug sides.

You may feel so weird that you think something is going wrong and then the panic attack thing can trigger.
So talking to someone else can bring you back to earth and calm you down.

Just try to remember, this drug is so good, that you will get to undetectable really fast!!!
And once the virus is put down, your CD4 will over time recover too, but that can take months.
Also, you should be on some anti biotic while your cd4 tests below 200, to keep from getting
any of the nasty bugs that one can get with a low cd4. Hope your doctor is up on that.
All the best!
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline littlefire

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:47:28 pm »
It takes me about 6 hours to sleep off Sustiva. I aim to take it at 11 at night, then it starts fogging me over at about 12 - nice time to hit the hay :)

Other tips... hmmm... stick to your dosing times :P

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:37:35 pm »
I've said this before, but I'll say it again.  When the Sustiva makes me feel drunk/high, I just go with it and try to enjoy it. ;)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 07:35:15 pm »
sustiva gave me a bad case of the jiters the firdst night, cold yet hot feeling, very much like a bad acid trip...but the second nite was just fine

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:56:05 pm »
I've been on Sustiva for 5+ years (with Truvada for the past two) and I have only recently stopped getting the drunk feeling.  I take it about an hour before bed.  Yes, the drunk feeling is kinda fun, nothing to be scared of, like being on a merry go round at the park.  Oh, and I never got any wild, erotic dreams like they promised!   >:(

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:55:20 am »
Hello, I have been taking this combo for 3 years and have found(for me) it's best to take it right before bed. And I try to get 8 per night but I know someone else said 6 is sufficient to clear the effect. Now it did kinda make me anxious the first night but after that I have been fine with it. My #'s are good and VL undetectable.   It effects everyone a little different. Hope you do well on it. Cristy       

Offline 9941_K

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 09:38:41 am »
Thanks alot everyone for kind advice

A little bit more background. I'm from Asia, sleep fairly little (approx 5 hours per night) and hate dreaming. Tried and get drunk only once in my life. So taking sustiva may like an adventure for me  ;D

Like what Bettytacy said, go with the flow  :D

Right now my schedule is planned at 1030 pm, then spend another hour bathing etc before hitting the bed for approx 6 hours sleep. Hope it works fine (but I'm prepared to have fine adjustment)

But well noted the possibility of getting a panic attack. In fact I don't want my family to know about it but don't wanna bother my friends in the mid of midnight at local time. So anyone who's willing to offer help on this please PM me  :)

I'm happy to learn the drug works well for many of us and looking forward to having improved numbers soon!

Many thanks again and hugs
K

Offline littlefire

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:44 am »
MOONLIGHT1114: I remember the Sustiva brochure said that I might get some nightmares. Never had those, and am quite pissed off about it because I quite liked my nightmares. I'm a horror kinda freak though :) Now you say you're supposed to have erotic dreams? Damn I feel so marginalised now :(

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 10:57:40 pm »
I echo everything everyone has said...  and encourage you to drink lots of water.

My sustiva adventures still render me a bit drunk the next morning if I get less than my regular 8 hours of sleep.  Additionally, after two weeks of taking it, I became a little emotionally unstable.

Hopefully, a gym membership and a dedicated daily workout will be able to cure it.  We'll see.

Good luck!

-joseph

Offline 9941_K

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:43:09 am »
Thanks alot Joseph  :)

Starting meds tomorrow and will have a big drink party tonight to farewell my final alcohol consumption at night!

Will keep you guys posted how I adjust to the meds which maybe helpful to other newbies!

Take care and hugs
K

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 06:45:21 am »
K:

You might be interested in this lesson on AIDSmeds.com:

Tips & Tricks on Taking Sustiva

I wrote this "lesson," soon after Sustiva was approved, to help AIDSmeds.com member better understand some of the side effects they've been experiencing or are hearing about. While it's true that side effects of Sustiva therapy can be frustrating and make life difficult, there are steps that can be taken to help lessen their severity and, in some cases, prevent them from occurring in the first place.

Hope you find it helpful,

Tim Horn

Offline komnaes

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 10:19:55 pm »

Starting meds tomorrow and will have a big drink party tonight to farewell my final alcohol consumption at night!

.. and you didn't invite me! Good luck and a big hug to you K.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Gary

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 09:50:34 am »
Hi, I'm on this combo and I've never felt better in my life, it really works for me. no matter what you do, your first few doses (maybe few weeks) on sustiva might make you a bit out of it but it gets better, like everyone else has said, take it before bed. I take mine 2 hours before and remember if you eat something fatty about an hour before, the side effects are worse.
I've never had a bad dream in the 4 years I've been on it, vivid dreams, yes!....and rude ones  :o

Offline libvet

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 01:04:32 pm »
Unless you find yourself totally disabled by Sustiva, don't throw in the towel if it takes a few weeks to get past the initial effects.  For the vast majority of people, the vivid dreams and stuff tend to subside after a couple of weeks.

I've been on it for 8 years now and have been undetectable every single time since I started this regimen.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.