Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:18:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 473
Total: 475

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: man was charged after he had sex without informing he had HIV  (Read 4788 times)

Offline em

recent news report 

A Florida man was charged with three felonies after he had sex with multiple women without informing them he was HIV positive, authorities said. bit.ly/2OXXag1

so this latest news . might make  one to think it is better not to get tested because your life would be over.

if you are out there having sex and you do not know the other person well enough to know what is going on in their lives maybe you should not be having sex with them ?

copied from facebook

what are your thoughts?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: man was charged after he had sex without informing he had HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:11:01 pm »
if you are out there having sex and you do not know the other person well enough to know what is going on in their lives maybe you should not be having sex with them ?
nah. just protect yourself and enjoy the sex :)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:12:48 pm »
This is all 'alkegedly'

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 04:51:06 am »
“innocent until proven guilty” . you meant allegedly right. it did not say if the victims got HIV just that he had HIV and did not disclose .  that is the crime .

at least that is what I thought it was about

Offline fabio

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:31:05 am »
So,If by chance he is undetectable and the women had protected sex and "if by chance" found out he was hiv positive,would that still be a crime?

Offline em

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 10:54:05 am »
it does not say . but the article seems to be about not telling your status and that is the crime ,  he is being charged with

the person that posted this on face book wrote : Local comments here in Tampa are of capital punishment from general public.

ignorance I thought was bliss but in this case it is insane like most of what is going on lately

bit.ly/2OXXag1     ;  copy into your browser this web address and the article will pop up.   

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:14:58 am by em »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 11:58:17 am »
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/florida-man-accused-of-knowingly-transmitting-hiv-to-partner

VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - A Florida man is accused of failing to disclose his HIV-positive status to his sexual partners, which resulted in one of them contracting the virus, according to the Volusia County Sheriff's Office.

Deputies said a woman contacted them recently saying that she believed she contracted HIV from Gentry Burns, 26, when she dated him in 2013, and she believed that other woman could be infected.

Three people told detectives they had sex with Burns after he was diagnosed in January 2014 and he never disclosed his status to them, according to a news release.

Deputies said one of those victims tested positive for HIV in 2017 after dating Burns in 2016.

Burns was already in the Volusia County Jail on a burglary and aggravated assault charge when deputies added three felony counts for failure to disclose.

In Florida, it's illegal for anyone diagnosed with HIV, chancroid, gonorrhea, granuloma inguinale, lymphogranuloma venereum, genital herpes simplex, chlamydia, nongonococcal urethritis (NGU), pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)/acute salpingitis or syphilis to have sex with another person without disclosing their condition.

Deputies said Burns traveled extensively along the East Coast of the United States and could have more victims in other states. Anyone who believes they could be at risk is urged to see a doctor and call the Volusia County Sheriff's Office
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 12:04:09 pm »
the person that posted this on face book wrote : Local comments here in Tampa are of capital punishment from general public.
take heart. most of those comments are probably by bots or russian trolls just stirring the pot some more :(
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »
Sorry he had a responsibility to be forthright.  Sometimes knowingly doing the wrong thing makes it worse.  While the women in question were taking their own risks that does not eliminate his side of the equation.  Your life isn't over it just gets a bit more complicated.  It's the failure to notify at issue.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline em

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 12:33:33 am »
A law and punishment for spreading a virus what next if someone dies from the flew the person that gave it to them should be brought up on man slaughter murder and capital punishment ?

technology getting better they might be able to trace viral infection paths of the flew and other illness should the person who spread a illness that was non sexual be charged as well.  or is it that this is an intimate disease sexual transmission that having been spread by sex that it should be punished . 

if he did not know should he be charged. if that is not the case this might make  people not get tested and help spread the virus .

stigma fear and over reactions might  take place like pitch forks and torches as the town folk  hunt down these monsters with HIV . 

what if someone thinks or says so so so gave me HIV and the mob hunts them down for justice !  if it is a law then some might think swift justice an acceptable  recourse .  should be episode of law and order or something .  that new show bluff city law  but I bet a TV show lacks the nerve to take on such a touchy subject .

How about this for a TV show great grand Ma Josephine died from the flew. the very large family she has grabs their pitch forks and torches and they hang  uncle bill from the family tree for his crime  of giving her the flew. justice was served they say.

is this the world we live in ?

these are great times we live in

I do not know which expression do you think makes a greater impact ?

world we live in or times we live in ?  come on help me out here . 

all the best to you

EM

( hey maybe cause this is my idea I should be a lawyer on the show who has HIV and is a LTS to play a lawyer who has HIV and is also a LTS that way there it would have realism. ya like that would happen ) 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:58:26 am by em »

Offline em

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 01:10:35 am »
sorry I wanted to modify . 

have the lawyer address the jury and say . HIV should not be a crime . I was tested 35 years ago and have kept  it my secret . I work I eat I go home fearful everyday my secret will get out . that someone would point the finger at me and say he was the one that gave me HIV is this the world we have built the times we live in ?

yada yada bla bla bla   O well you get the idea . sorry this is to far and would ad fuel to the fire  I should just delete it

maybe he could say well like life imitating art or art imitating life . he could say I have a wife two kids and a dig . and none of them have HIV

great message for getting tested

whatever , like this would ever make it in the media

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:36:32 am by em »

Offline Expat1

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 05:20:06 am »

great message for getting tested

Actually since the crime is knowingly passing the virus.  If one were never tested then it would not be a crime.  This is a big problem, probably one reason HIV is spreading so fast in the South.  IF not tested, no crime.

One more reason not to move to Florida.

Offline em

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 07:51:49 am »
Actually  the remark great reason to get tested : was about not spreading the virus and all you can have .  your life is not over with HIV  taken out of context .  was misleading .

but l do like your short answer concise and to the point. very well  said.

the law does make the point that getting tested and then getting punished

if you do not get tested you will not get in trouble   this would add to the spread of HIV instead of slowing it .

they do not see this as something to worry about . 

Offline em

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 09:21:27 am »
how about this small unnoticed part if he had been having  unprotected sex with men and did not disclose would it have gone this far or made the news at all  or would it have gone unnoticed it would be they get what they deserve and the more gay men who get sick the better who cares but because it was an evil monster of a man who had done this and with  the virtuous defenseless flower of   southern womanhood  . they will do all it takes to protect the precious virtue and lives of their southern women from monsters like this ???  the reason it made the news and was not dismissed disregarded and not made into such a big deal,   the poor defenseless women unable to defend themselves need to be protected from evil men like this.   .  so much for equality under the law .  I am just stocking the fire and adding fuel to a bad situation but every aspect needs to be examined . He is going to go down for this . He is going to punished to  the fullest extent of the law to be made an example to prevent good honest women from falling prey to evil predators like this .   

to bad he got tested or he would have gotten away with it . O that is going to do so much harm and help spread the virus like a wild fire ...   

just hold on and enjoy  the nightmare that will ensue.  then they will say how could this happen not even noticing the precedence the they had set in motion 

I hope you take this with a grain of salt and not tale it to heart just wanted to show how a bad situation can make other situations even worse ..

all my best to you and God bless

EM

what do you think might happen if

how about this scenario for a entertainment purposes. a black inner city young man is accused of knowing he had the virus but giving HIV to  a white southern flower of virtue . the jury is six old stanch white man and six  old white women . the defense attorney says to his client . you are going down . there is no way I can defend you  they find him beaten beyond recognition in his jail cell hanging from a  his pants .  they rule it  suicide .   end of story .
the world is one sick place but what if  should be something to think about

sorry if this is pushing to far but injustice is everywhere this would probably not even make the news . it would e swept under the rug unnoticed . just a thought i felt worth kicking around for further thought if you will .

the world is sick place and horrible things happen that go unnoticed

more fuel for the fire
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:48:19 am by em »

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 01:51:50 pm »
Look if we do not want to be stigmatized there is a level of responsability.  You can't just shame people out of their side of the story.  Declaring people ignorant is not a good way to alter their view.  Education helps, but deliberately hiding things does not help.  Even before dx I was a huge vaccine advocate and avoided kids in winter as walking vectors. 

We gotta be out of the dark if we want people to trust us.  U=U is not our decision to make for others. 
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 02:12:47 pm »
My two cents, Disclosure laws, let's see at this stage I have a medical condition that is none of your business as I can't transmit it to you.

Doesn't make much sense, adds no value whatsoever. In fact HIV disclosure laws drives down testing, increases transmission rates etc. Unhelpful.

Would be different if I had something that could effect someone else or did so aka in a case of transmission
HIV transmission laws are unfortunately from the dark ages and need serious rework with up-to-date info and applying only to actual transmission through negligence etc but it's needed for the scumbag cases

Jim

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:24:48 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 04:25:04 pm »
While the women in question were taking their own risks that does not eliminate his side of the equation.
personally I have always believed that personal responsibility means that anyone having sex is taking their own risk and it's their problem. Obviously these women/people also didn't care about being infected with chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, or becoming pregnant.

Deputies said a woman contacted them recently saying that she believed she contracted HIV from Gentry Burns, 26, when she dated him in 2013, and she believed that other woman could be infected.

Three people told detectives they had sex with Burns after he was diagnosed in January 2014 and he never disclosed his status to them, according to a news release.

Deputies said one of those victims tested positive for HIV in 2017 after dating Burns in 2016.
some issues to consider with the limited info in these articles:

woman #1 says she was infected a year before Burns was diagnosed or would have known to disclose, so I don't see where her case is.

people #2,3,4 say they had sex after his diagnosis but the articles don't say how many people were actually infected - nor if those people were having unprotected sex with other people. Can they actually prove that Burns was the vector of transmission?

one of those people say they were diagnosed in 2017, three years after Burns was diagnosed. If Burns were diagnosed in 2014 he should have been prescribed treatment immediately and possibly may have been undetectable long before sex with any of those people and therefore not transmitted HIV. I understand Burns could be "guilty" of not disclosing; but if no one became HIV infected, just what is behind their complaint? Just fear but no reality of being HIV+?

The person who dated him in 2016 wasn't diagnosed until the following year.... how frequently were they being tested while they were having unprotected sex? How many other people were they having unprotected sex with in that time period?

as always, press stories leave out a lot of information. sadly disclosure laws are 25+ years out-of-date with the science of transmission and prevention.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Loa111

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 05:32:32 am »
Wonder if laws will ever change on this and/or disclosure... meaning modern treatment and state of U=U will be accepted.
i.e. U=U for people on treatment, private medical condition, no threat of passing it on,  so why have laws against it? (in the future, as time goes forward).

Someone with the flu is more worrying!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.