Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:45:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 615
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CMV concern  (Read 10866 times)

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
CMV concern
« on: May 31, 2023, 06:18:12 am »
hi! just got diagnose with HIV last may 22 this year. I am currently taking isoniazid as tuberculosis preventative treatment. I'll be able to start taking arv after 2 weeks of isoniazid.

now back to the main topic. I've had conjunctivitis recently, thinking it will recover on its own, didn't do anything. It lasted one month and went to the doctor. the doctor prescribed antibacterial ointment and thankfully it cleared after five days. 2 days after the recovery, I still have a bit of blurriness in my eyes. I was wondering if this is cmv and would like to ask what are your experiences with cmv. I don't have the what we call "floaters" and "blind spot" though..

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: CMV concern
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 06:27:40 am »
Hiya,

You should go back to your doctor and let them check and treat the blurred vision, as plenty of things can cause that, not just CMV.  No point focusing on something most likely isn't causing the issue before ruling out other issues. If your doctor thinks CMV retinitis is a concern, I believe it would be an ophthalmologic exam to confirm.

hi! just got diagnose with HIV last may 22 this year. I am currently taking isoniazid as tuberculosis preventative treatment. I'll be able to start taking arv after 2 weeks of isoniazid.

Sorry, to hear about the diagnosis; what was your recent CD4 count/viral load?
Glad to hear you have access to HIV treatment and will start soon. Any idea what HIV treatment you will be starting on?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 06:34:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 06:41:39 am »

Glad to hear you have access to HIV treatment and will start soon. Any idea what HIV treatment you will be starting on?

I'll be starting on cART, TLD specifically. as per CD4 count and viral load, I'll know it when I get back to the treatment center on june 6. It's sure its going to be an issue in terms of adherence but i know i'll manage and adjust. thank you for this support group, my body felt lighter.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 07:03:18 am by Kaki22 »

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 09:01:13 am »

ojo.            Hi there!!… welcome to the forum.

When I got CMV RETINITIS my cd4 level was zero, first symptoms, floaters, then retinal detachments. I never had pink eye, so check with your doctor. You need to know if your CD4 levels to see if you are at risk of getting CMV, meanwhile, check with your doctor about your pink eye.

CMV is a serious infection, I hope you don’t have to deal with it… please keep us posted

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 10:18:31 pm »

unfortunately, i will have to wait for 1 year after arv to have a free cd4 count/ viral load test. I'll start saving money for these tests so I can get earlier results. I need the results because I'm afraid i might have a drug resistant HIV.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 05:49:04 am »
unfortunately, i will have to wait for 1 year after arv to have a free cd4 count/ viral load test. I'll start saving money for these tests so I can get earlier results. I need the results because I'm afraid i might have a drug resistant HIV.
where do you live? It seems like there should be at least one cd4/vl test in any country to make sure the meds are working long before a year's weight. Maybe knowing your country, someone can offer up some information/assistance.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 07:42:03 am »
where do you live? It seems like there should be at least one cd4/vl test in any country to make sure the meds are working long before a year's weight. Maybe knowing your country, someone can offer up some information/assistance.

I'm from the Philippines, there are many clinics that offer cd4/vl test but are expensive. There are free tests but it takes one year after the start of taking arv. They said that as long as I adhere to the medication, the virus won't develop drug resistance. I'll have to contact my other healthcare provider for help and second opinion.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 08:06:52 am by Kaki22 »

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 12:56:18 pm »

ojo.             Hi kaki22… usually, when you are diagnosed doctors check your viral load and cd4 levels so they can tell how much the virus has “damage” your immune system and do you have a base line so they can see how your medication is working… another for you to have a risk of CMV retinitis. You will had to be diagnosed with aids which is less than 200 cd4. wishing you the best and please keep us posted.

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 10:31:17 am »

do you have a base line so they can see how your medication is working… another for you to have a risk of CMV retinitis. You will had to be diagnosed with aids which is less than 200 cd4. wishing you the best and please keep us posted.

my healthcare provider explained to me that the treatment hub is lacking enough resources, particularly the cartridge for the cd4/viral load test. so the earliest they can do it is 3 months after the arv medication. i also kind off felt like they think there's no need to rush because the HIV infection is in the early stages, got tested for HIV on april and its negative, then became positive on may after my second testing.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:34:39 am by Kaki22 »

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 01:07:02 pm »

ojo.             Hello there!

Well, if your infection is recent, you don’t have to worry about opportunistic infections let alone CMV retinitis. I am sorry about the lack of resources in your country… good luck and please keep us posted

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 01:11:46 am »
Hi! Currently on my 17th day of taking arvs, TLD in particular. I just wanna ask if my schedule is 1pm, do I have to take it 1pm sharp, or is there a window period?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 01:31:34 am »
Hiya,

Ideally, you take the meds at the same time every day; Having a set routine & time helps prevent you from forgetting to take your meds; However, life happens, and a few hours early or late isn't going to be an issue.

I aim to take my pills within the same four-hour window per day. I get up in the morning around 6 am and take my meds at some time between 6 am - 10 am.  Things that can help are setting a reminder on your phone or, if 1 pm isn't working out, pick a better time to take your meds.

This question has come up before, adding a few thread links as you might find it useful to read.

Adherence
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73377.msg

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=64111.msg

Adherence?
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71153.msg
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2023, 12:09:50 am »
Thank you. I was stressing about adherence recently. I'm also taking multivitamins with my arv treatment. Should I also take probiotics and omega 3? If there's any supplement I could take to assist my treatment, let me know.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 12:12:33 am by Kaki22 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2023, 06:41:39 am »
If there's any supplement I could take to assist my treatment
HIV is reduced to UD by taking daily meds. Your cd4s recover based on your genetics. There really isn't anything else to do or to take that will change your VL or cd4 count.

If taking vitamins, probiotics or omega3 makes you feel healthier, then go ahead because being healthier never hurts; but it won't make any difference in your HIV treatment.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2023, 08:45:35 am »
Update
In general, this is how HIV diagnosis and treatment work in the Philippines (at least in public treatment centers).
When you obtain a positive result, you immediately start arv treatment following some lab tests (essentially testing your liver, kidney, heart, and lung condition). There is no cd4 test for persons like me because it is only given to people in the advanced stage (they will classify you as such if you only display symptoms of opportunistic infections). Every year, my viral load is measured (so I won't know whether I have art failure or not any time soon). In addition, if I have art failure, my healthcare professional will simply move on to the next regimen without genotyping it.
On the lighter note, arvs are free here.
I can still take cd4 and viral load test as early as I can, however it will be expensive. I’m concerned and was planning to get a private doctor and a health insurance to cover the costs of genotyping, cd4 count and viral load.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2023, 08:57:57 am »
I can still take cd4 and viral load test as early as I can, however it will be expensive. I’m concerned and was planning to get a private doctor and a health insurance to cover the costs of genotyping, cd4 count and viral load.

You most likely missed the boat on doing this as standard genotypic resistance testing, so don't bother paying for that.

See standard genotypic resistance testing requires that there is a viral load present. If your meds are working, genotypic resistance testing will not offer any insights, it would be a waste of resources, and if the meds are working, it would suggest there most likely aren't any resistance issues. 

The time to do this was before starting treatment.

https://clinicalinfo.hiv.gov/en/guidelines/hiv-clinical-guidelines-adult-and-adolescent-arv/drug-resistance-testing

Now, I should add there was a paper on using proviral DNA to test for drug resistance testing when the viral load is suppressed, but I doubt it will ever be standard even if resource-wealthy nations.https://www.aidsmap.com/news/jan-2020/proviral-dna-resistance-testing-allows-treatment-switches-without-viral-rebound

cd4 count

Also somewhat irrelevant now. Don't bother.

As you started treatment already, the only thing that matters now is VL to check the treatment is working and standard labs to check your health, kidney function etc, routinely.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 09:02:36 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kaki22

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 07:56:25 am »
Hi! its been 5 months already since my diagnosis. I'm about to get my 1st vl test this december. since i don't have any quantitative testing, i'm gonna to see it based on my observation. I've been taking TLD and i'm feeling better, this is because I only have runny nose once ever since taking it, and I recovered with just 2 days (i'm assuming that my immune system is working properly). I stiil need to do vl test though to have accurate analysis on my health. but with my observation, could this be a good sign? I'm also taking probiotics from time to time to help my gut health.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 06:27:45 am »
I'm glad to hear you are starting to feel better.

with my observation, could this be a good sign?

Not being dead or in the ICU is always a good sign but otherwise, it doesn't mean much.

I'm about to get my 1st vl test this december

Good, keep us posted.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2023, 09:58:25 am »
I stiil need to do vl test though to have accurate analysis on my health

The VL is going to tell you if your HIV meds are doing their job and suppressing the virus. This is really important to know your meds are working and having a suppressed viral load means the virus is no longer doing unchallenged measured and unmeasured damage to your health.

However, the VL is not a measurement or analysis of your health.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2023, 12:24:36 pm »
the VL is not a measurement or analysis of your health.
just a note that the CD4 count is not a measurement of your health either. It's just a measurement of one part of your immune system.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.