Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:29:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 215
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 2009 pipeline report  (Read 19840 times)

Offline hahaha

2009 pipeline report
« on: August 10, 2009, 04:32:56 am »
Finally, the 2009 pipeline report is out. 
Great effort from Treatment Action Group.  Thanks a lot.

http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/uploadedFiles/About/Publications/TAG_Publications/2009/2009%20Pipeline%20web.pdf
Aug 9, 2006 Get infected in Japan #$%^*
Oct 2006 CD4 239
Nov 2006 CD4 299 VL 60,000
Dec 1, Sustiva, Ziagan and 3TC
Jan 07, CD4 400

Offline xman

Re: 2009 pipeline report
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:01 pm »
Sadly this report reflects exactly what I posted in other threads. The current pipeline is dry and there are only a few compounds in final clinical phases. Nothing revolutionary on the horizon.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:41:27 pm by xman »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:21:16 pm »
Sadly this report reflects exactly what I posted in other threads. The current pipeline is dry and there are only a few compounds in final clinical phases. Nothing revolutionary on the horizon.

These things should be viewed with some historical perspective. Not every year can be filled with revolutionary strategies. As the pipeline report itself states:

It is worth remembering that clouds of doom enshrouded the antiretroviral field at the Berlin AIDS conference in 1993, only to be dispelled by the HAART revolution that occurred just three years later.

And this 2009 pipeline is far from empty, especially if compared to earlier times such as 1993, as cited above.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:22:48 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:28:00 pm »
xman, your eternal lack of any context is tedious.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline xman

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:37:56 pm »
xman, your eternal lack of any context is tedious.

instead of criticizing my view of point post some arguments that proves the opposite.

please comment on this (copied from the report):

Unfortunately, many clinicians in the United States and Europe are content with the
current drugs and complacent about the need for developing the next generation of
therapy. This means that some drug makers do not hear a compelling demand to make
major investments in HIV research. In 2009 there has been consolidation among the
big HIV drug makers—Schering with Merck; Pfizer with GlaxoSmithKline—and
other companies, such as Roche and Abbott, are backing away from new research in the
field
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:46:25 pm by xman »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:50:19 pm »
instead of criticizing my view of point post some arguments that proves the opposite.

Naw, not much use to do that.  All anyone here need do is click on your old posts and see that you're a one trick pony song and dance routine.

Offline xman

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 03:08:58 pm »
Naw, not much use to do that.  All anyone here need do is click on your old posts and see that you're a one trick pony song and dance routine.

i only post what i think and it is some way confirmed by the latest studies and observations. i don't care about your irony about me. i'm free to think whatever i want. my opinion remains that there could be much much more effort. i'm still healthy and without the needs for meds (don't know how long) but you have still felt the taste of azt and all the nice side effects. i don't want to eat that shit for the rest of my life.

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:48:56 pm »
x-man
already has an American cured of hiv.
this in case that he is the only one?
why only it?
other people cannot make the same therapy?
to have faith better days they will come.
to cityofhoper of the one hope tip. to also zinc finger. to also dermavir. bavituximab and others

Offline xman

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 04:19:41 pm »
yes i'm aware of this studies. dermavir is interesting but the development and testing process is too long. if you look to trials the first results are not available before 2015 and it is only in phase 2. my only hope resides in gene therapy and immune based treatments which would perhaps teach our system to battle the virus for itself. this research is encouraging but it's also time consuming.

there's poor interest in testing eradication. there are drugs like saha able to reactivate latent infected cells. why not begin immediately a trial to see the efficacy? what are we waiting for? my opinion is there's no company interested in financing clinical trials to test this approach.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 04:38:39 pm by xman »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 05:44:54 pm »

i don't want to eat that shit for the rest of my life.

Well, here's a thought. Don't take them. Keep moaning that you can't have a drug that you take and hey, presto, no more hiv. Don't take what's available to keep your ass alive. Just keep bitching. You won't be bitching for too many years.

why not begin immediately a trial to see the efficacy? what are we waiting for? my opinion is there's no company interested in financing clinical trials to test this approach.

On one hand you bitch and moan about potential side-effects. On the other hand, you bitch and moan about the time it takes to bring a new med to market. Do you not see that perhaps the time it takes to bring something to market has to do with finding out if there ARE side-effects?

Read your damn history, mate. You're lucky to have been diagnosed in the 21 century rather than in the 1980s. Get a grip already. We're tired of hearing your tin-hat conspiracy theories.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline xman

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:54:22 pm »
We're tired of hearing your tin-hat conspiracy theories.

Ann

hey ann, take a breath and calm down. why shoud i think that pharma companies don't act like any other industry in the world? they spend money for research and they need assurance on a profitable outcome of their products. merck, pfizer and company are not charities. do you want to convince me that they work only for our benefits? wake up and welcome to capitalism.

Offline xman

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 06:09:34 pm »
what also surprises me is this sort of resignation most people have. maybe if there would be more activism like in the eighties we would have some improvement in the research. i don't see any willingness in doing something. it seems that everyone is happy with what we actually have. staying to your profile you are off meds too. maybe you declined to begin the therapy fearing the potential side effects?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:23:52 pm »
i don't see any willingness in doing something.

And what, pray tell, are you doing beyond posting obsessively on an internet message board?

Offline xman

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 06:48:42 pm »
And what, pray tell, are you doing beyond posting obsessively on an internet message board?

at the actual time on the other half of the globe there's not much to do but during the day i'm probably more active than you. finally i think i'm not more obsessive than any other member here in the research forum.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:52:20 pm by xman »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 06:59:13 pm »
So the answer is "I'm not doing anything about what I just whined about" much as I thought.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline xman

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:07 pm »
So the answer is "I'm not doing anything about what I just whined about" much as I thought.  Thanks for the clarification.

i don't need to clarify anything with you. i have my opinions and i have the right to posting them. i don't ask to be understood or to be supported.

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 07:18:21 pm »
Can't we all just get along. Be happy for the time we have. Enjoy each day to the fullest. Don't worry about what we don't have and enjoy what gives us life today. Use each challenge that you have in life  and seize the opprutunity to have that challenge make you a better person, and help others with that knowledge.  None of us are getting back yesterday, and none of us are guaranteed tomarrow, so I say enjoy life.  ;D
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 07:19:03 pm »
When you complain about a lack of activism, then aren't willing to BE an activist -- what does that say to everyone?  

I'm sure everyone else reading here can figure out the answer to this question.

Offline xman

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 07:30:24 pm »
The Drug Pipeline
Let's discuss the next category on my list: clinical trials of new and current antiretrovirals. I've noticed from the last few conferences that there doesn't seem to be that many drugs in the pipeline.

Not as much as we used to see, but it was encouraging that there still is a bit of a pipeline. The drug that got the most attention was the new integrase inhibitor from GlaxoSmithKline and Shionogi.4

It was a very short, 10-day monotherapy trial, but it showed really superb viral suppression at 10 days, with a well-tolerated drug that has a long half-life at a fairly low dose, and doesn't require ritonavir [RTV, Norvir] boosting, and is likely to be able to be co-formulated with other products. So that was pretty exciting.

But there weren't a whole lot of other drugs that were talked about at the same level.

Are there other drugs currently being studied that will be presented at future conferences?

Yes. There are still other nucleoside analogs [NRTIs], other non-nukes [NNRTIs], other CCR5 inhibitors. So there is still a pipeline. But I do continue to think that it will be several years before we see drugs that could rescue people who have resistance to the currently available options.

http://www.thebody.com/content/art53122.html

Dr. Gallant doesn't believe in new treatment options for several years. The chance of a cure was not even mentioned. The interest in further developments is getting lower. This even considering the new infections which occurs every day and in most cases in developing countries. It remains a mystery how all these people will be treated with no or poor access to HAART.

Dr. Gallant is the man that refuses the invitation of a trial by Andrea Savarino who discovered the Shock & Kill method to probably eradicate HIV infection.

When I read those statements I can't be as optimistic as many are here.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 07:46:44 pm by xman »

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 07:55:17 pm »
Xman,

I am with you. I don't think we will see a cure to this awful illness in our lifetime. I am 44 and am thankful for the medication we currently have right now. Thank GOD for it or I would be pushing up Daisey's right now. If I were you I would be encouraged by the host of medications you will have available to you once you have to start HAART. I think the medication will continue to improve, and I would expect you to live a full life. GOD willing of course.  I have been on Atripla, and do find that I have some minor side affects, like sleep issues, but for the most part the medication has been good to me. I don't think you need to fear the medication, only the virus if you refuse to take the medication.

I do feel for anyone who has multiple resistance and are running out of options, and in those cases I share your eagerness to have a pipeline full of new options for all people at an affordable rate.

I am very optimistic that the treatments will improve and the ways to take and manage the virus will also get easier and more convenient.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 08:23:43 pm by MYSTERY »
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 09:38:45 pm »
Xman, the problem is that you are so predictably tragic.  You trot out the same Debbie Downer material over and over again.  I think you'd only be more dramatic if you carried yourself in nailed to a cross.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:51:01 pm by GNYC09 »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 09:54:27 pm »
With all due respect Xman, in the short time that I have been a member, I find most of your replies to be more toxic than any of the meds that you so persistently dismiss

My feeling is that you're simply seeking a reaction from the members of these forums.  In no way I would consider that to be "ACTIVISM."

Now, back to our regular programming...
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »
One thing I found enlightening in the pipeline report is what they said about CCR5 antagonists:

These drugs are relatively immune to resistance, and they seem to have unparalleled penetration into the brain.

I figured they were relatively immune to resistance, since they don't target the virus itself, so it was nice to have that bit of information corroborated.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »

hey ann, take a breath and calm down..

No, mate, YOU calm down. If it weren't for those phama companies you are so quick to deride, most of us would be dead. Like I said to you before, read your damned history before you go shooting your mouth off.

what also surprises me is this sort of resignation most people have.

It's not resignation, it's realism. Wake up.

staying to your profile you are off meds too. maybe you declined to begin the therapy fearing the potential side effects?

Nope, my being treatment naive has NOTHING to do with fear of side-effects and everything to do with my numbers being good. I'll start treatment tomorrow if my numbers say it's time. And rather than piss and moan about there not being a cure, I'll thank my lucky stars that there are meds available to keep me healthy.

i don't need to clarify anything with you. i have my opinions and i have the right to posting them. i don't ask to be understood or to be supported.

Sure, you have every right to your (ill-informed) opinion. And we (who understand what went before) have every right to shoot you down in flames.

Grow up. You have hiv. Would you be so stroppy if you had cancer? Cancer has been around for a helluva lot longer than hiv and yet you're not guaranteed of a cure there either. Grow up and get real.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »
And anyway, never-mind people who have no idea how lucky they actually are...

I was so very touched by the fact that this report was dedicated to Martin Delaney. Of course, people who don't know the history won't have a clue why this is so significant.

Thank you Martin, for all you have done for us all. RIP.

And don't, please don't, let the tin-hatters make you think your efforts were in vain. There are those of us who appreciate your efforts.

In sadness,
Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 10:41:05 pm »
I was so very touched by the fact that this report was dedicated to Martin Delaney. Of course, people who don't know the history won't have a clue why this is so significant.

Thank you Martin, for all you have done for us all. RIP.

Thank you Ann for highlighting this.  Now that's ACTIVISM.  All that I can say (especially feeling as I do today) is THANK YOU Mr. Delaney.  May he rest in peace.

M.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 10:47:10 pm »
Yes, Ann, thanks for reminding us of Martin Delaney, a true hero.

By the way, I love your choice of words. stroppy? tin-hatters? I don't know what they mean . . . but I like 'em!

;)

Offline xman

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »
If it weren't for those phama companies you are so quick to deride, most of us would be dead.

sadly in third world countries they continue to die even if haart is a reality but only for those who have access to them. so i thank all the careful pharma companies for sueing small independent companies for distributing cheaper generic drugs. thank you very much for still letting die millions of people.

don't tell me about pepfar which is a good thing but only for a fraction of the total infected in poor countries.

please consider that most of the 33 million infected have little or no chances to live a normal life span due to the lack of medicines.

in addition a lot of the older patients are developing resistance. here's just an example:
http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/antiretroviral_therapy/antiretroviral_agents/investigational_antiretroviral_agents/very_resistant....future_options_.html?contentInstanceId=447733&siteId=7151

i'm not seeking a reaction but probably i'm waiting for somebody saying that i'm wrong but i still believe that there wouldn't be much improvement in the forseeable future with all the concerns related to those out of options.

i still not made a resistance test but i pray for not beeing one of those unlucky folks.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:58:25 pm by xman »

Offline xman

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 02:14:48 pm »
here's interesting discussion about the possibilities of a cure for hiv. i honestly hope that dr. gallant is wrong but he continues to argue that there will not be one even in our lifetime.

what surprises me is that he celebrates the fast advance of hiv research in only 15 years but on the other side he proves to be pessimistic about a major breakthrough in coming years. why?

this is the thread were also andrea savarino posted his comment and invitation of a study which gallant declines

http://www.hopkins-hivguide.org/q_a/patient/cure/italian_study.html?contentInstanceId=487412&siteId=7151

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:31:51 pm by xman »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 05:21:12 pm »

what surprises me is that he celebrates the fast advance of hiv research in only 15 years but on the other side he proves to be pessimistic about a major breakthrough in coming years. why?

I heard that Big Pharma pays off Dr. Gallant to sew seeds of pessimism with the pozzie crowd.

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 05:33:36 pm »
I do not understand.
where is the patient who was cured in Germany?
 why not repeat with another?
This method was able to defeat the latent reservoir. then the doctor comes and says that Galant is no cure. as if a patient is cured. make this method so lacking in common practice. I believe that one day in my life I will live free of HIV.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 05:41:14 pm »

what surprises me is that he celebrates the fast advance of hiv research in only 15 years but on the other side he proves to be pessimistic about a major breakthrough in coming years. why

I love Dr. Gallant, he is a real authority when it comes to HIV treatment but he is not exactly the person to go to when seeking an opinion about research toward a cure. I read him every day and have asked him questions several times and have read almost everything he's written that's available online.

He is aware of some of the research toward a cure, mainly the stuff that gets more publicized, but he does not (and based on how busy he is, cannot) follow it that closely. The reason he did not take Savarino up on his offer is that this is not what he does, he is a clinician, his ambit is treating patients and everything else he does, the teaching, the writing, etc revolves around that. He is not involved with efforts toward a cure, it's just not his area.

I heard that Big Pharma pays off Dr. Gallant to sew seeds of pessimism with the pozzie crowd.

lol

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:29:29 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:32 pm »
Xman, you're the poster child for antidepressants.  Please consider taking a bath with a plugged in toaster.
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 06:33:04 am »

Xman, you're the poster child for antidepressants.  Please consider taking a bath with a plugged in toaster.

Free,

It's one thing to express your disagreement with another person's point of view or opinion, but it's another thing completely to suggest they commit suicide. This is a personal attack.

And as such, this is an official warning. You've been here long enough to know that personal attacks are not allowed here. And this is a pretty serious one, suggesting someone kill themselves.

Don't let me see you doing this again. It's despicable. And don't bother coming back into this thread to defend your heinous comment. The only thing I'd want to see from you in this thread is an apology. If you can't do the right thing and apologise, stay out of the thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline xman

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »
The latest news from Mitsuyasu on gene therapy trials. At least a useful information that for the next decade his trials will not evolve. We can only hope in alternatives but since HIV is no more the emergency it was 20 years ago since we have HAART I guess we will not see a repetition of the rapid progress made in the early years of the epidemic from 1985 to 1996. Only ten years to develop the multidrug therapy. Since 1996 another 13 years passed. There was improvement with more meds and less side effects but nothing really exciting. For those who celebrate CCR5 meds please consider the cancerogenic risk involved since the process blocked by the drugs is used also by the body.

To summarize, still a long way to go.

Dr Ronald Mitsuyasu reply to gene therapy trials
Aug 13, 2009

Dear Dr Robert, thank you for your information to get started in gene therapy,

l contacted Dr Ronald Mitsuyasu and he has told me it will be a few years before he will be starting gene therapy trials again for hiv,

Dr Ronald also said in 10 years time we will see gene therapy treatments coming into force to combat hiv,

Once again thank you so much Dr Bob for your help and support and also Dr Ronald told me to say hello,

Dr Bob this should give us all hope that we could have cutting edge new treatments in 10 years or so that will take us a step closer to the holy grail cure for hiv

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q203332.html

Offline brazilianman

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 10:03:40 am »
in 10 years has hope of cure. I hope alive.
in 20 years has hope of cure. I hope alive.
in 30 years has hope of cure. I hope alive.
in 40 years has hope of cure. I hope alive.
in 50 years has hope of cure. I hope alive.

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2009, 05:05:06 pm »
Personally I can understand what Xman is saying. But the conspiracy theories that the big pharma companies are stopping this from a cure is political.

I think it is more about being realistic. Rememeber there are people from the 80's or 90's who took AZT. That stuff was toxic as hell. People in the 21st century with HIV have more options. Which is a good thing.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2009, 05:09:28 pm »
 For those who celebrate CCR5 meds please consider the cancerogenic risk involved since the process blocked by the drugs is used also by the body.

Can you be more specific about this? I've never heard that CCR5 blockers can cause cancer. Quite the opposite, since for many people it is a natural mutation the thinking is that it is perfectly safe to do without CCR5. Do you by any chance have any articles you can link that explain or support the cancer link you bring up?

Thanks ;)

Offline xman

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:34 pm »
Can you be more specific about this? I've never heard that CCR5 blockers can cause cancer. Quite the opposite, since for many people it is a natural mutation the thinking is that it is perfectly safe to do without CCR5. Do you by any chance have any articles you can link that explain or support the cancer link you bring up?

Thanks ;)

Sure, this is noted in the side effects of Selzentry on this website. There's only a theoretical risk but since the drug only exists a few years and cancers normally develop slowly we can't exaclty know what will happen to those taking it now.

Because Selzentry blocks the CCR5 coreceptor located on some immune system cells, there is a theoretical risk of developing infections and cancers. However, rates of infections and cancer were no higher among patients receiving Selzentry, versus those receiving placebo, in year-long clinical trials.

Here's the link to the page:
http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/selzentry_1629.shtml

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 07:07:50 pm »
Sure, this is noted in the side effects of Selzentry on this website. There's only a theoretical risk but since the drug only exists a few years and cancers normally develop slowly we can't exaclty know what will happen to those taking it now.

Because Selzentry blocks the CCR5 coreceptor located on some immune system cells, there is a theoretical risk of developing infections and cancers. However, rates of infections and cancer were no higher among patients receiving Selzentry, versus those receiving placebo, in year-long clinical trials.

Here's the link to the page:
http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/selzentry_1629.shtml

This is not something to be worried about. They must cover themselves legally. If you start looking at all the disclosures and warnings for any drug you could drive yourself nuts and not take anything. They must state this because by blocking CCR5 you are altering the Tcells and so theoretically and only theoretically, in a very general sense, this could be a problem.

The reason in this particular case it is unlikely to be a problem is that many people naturally have the delta-32 mutation and are able to function perfectly well and have no higher instances of cancers than those without the mutation. Blocking CCR5 in those who do not have the delta-32 mutation should not pose a problem. At any rate it's way too soon to be making such pronouncements.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:29:57 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2009, 07:32:45 pm »

I think CCR5 blockers might make one more susceptible to West Nile virus . See http://jem.rupress.org/cgi/content/full/203/1/4a .

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.