Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:23:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 470
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Where is the international funding of HIV research?  (Read 6811 times)

Offline buginme2

Where is the international funding of HIV research?
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:38:43 am »
So it was announced today the U.S. Govt (NIH specifically) was ponying up $70 million for HIV cure research (topic on a different thread).  Now that got me thinking, since I was diagnosed I have increased my reading and alertness regarding HIV research and I cannot honestly recall coming across an article that states "British govt awards $70 million for HIV research" nor  the French, Germans, Australians, etc.  The only other entity I have seen that funds research to that scale is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and they are a private enterprise not a government.  Why is it that the Gates Foundation funds research to a greater extent than most other wealthy countries? 

Now I understand that since I live in the U.S. I am reading US biased news coverage and all.  But you would think if other countries were funding research on a large scale we would read about it.   Is it just not making the news here?

I'm I missing something? If the UK, France, Germany, Australia all pony'd up $70 million think of the progress!  Do they fund it quietly?

Also, I do recognize the French for their early work in HiV, just dont hear a lot from them lately.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline buginme2

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Where is the international funding of HIV research?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:30:38 pm »
I don't have much of an inclination to research this for you, but a quick google shows that until recently Italy spent €25 million a year for their NIH equivalent.

Now, instead of asking why any singular country isn't paying what the US does, a less disingenuous method would be to pro-rate the US amount by any one country's GDP.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:35:58 am »
I don't have much of an inclination to research this for you, but a quick google shows that until recently Italy spent €25 million a year for their NIH equivalent.

Now, instead of asking why any singular country isn't paying what the US does, a less disingenuous method would be to pro-rate the US amount by any one country's GDP.

That article you link states that in the 1990's Italy spent 25million Euros on HIV research and that the Ministry of Health in 2009 awarded HIV/AIDS projects only €2 million. 

The problem is..I have search and I cant find much...and 2million Euros is shamefull (in my opinion)

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 02:24:47 am »
I cannot honestly recall coming across an article that states "British govt awards $70 million for HIV research" nor  the French, Germans, Australians, etc.  T

Maybe they think the money is better spent on keeping those who are already living with HIV alive and healthy by giving them free medication... it would seem the US is more interested in research and not so much on helping US citizens who are going without because they won't fund the medication, last I heard there was a desperate need for Meds, especially  for those  living with HIV and can't afford insurance...just saying.

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 02:32:10 am »
Anniebc,

I was actually just thinking the exact same thing you wrote.  It then leads to huge moral questions such as which is the way to go?  If we don't spend the $$ on research then we don't have any treatment to provide anyway.   So which is more valuable?  Spend money on research or treatment..without research there is no treatment.

Also, isn't the rest of the world (meaning developed countries) that provide treatment for their citizens instead of research doing so off of the treatment's that were paid for by the US government? 

Offline LM

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 12:21:40 pm »
Most developed and developing countries hold some kind of research.

New treatment options are developed by the pharmaceutical companies, not the US government. Sure, it may receive funding, but it certainly is not "paid" by it. Also, many of these companies and research centers are really international, full of people from everywhere, regardless of where they are based.

Let's recall as well that Dr. Françoise Barré-Sinoussi, French, is leading efforts to make the international community turn its attention to HIV cure research. And also that Dr. Gero Hutter, German, was the one who cured the "Berlin patient". These countries and many others, like China, India, Brazil and others have research centers, funded by their governments, looking for cheaper medications, a vaccine and even a cure. But it's not surprising someone in the US doesn't receive news about that, first and foremost because news about that are not even in English.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:25:31 pm »
It then leads to huge moral questions such as which is the way to go? 

These are not "huge moral questions".

Unless, of course, you have some odd definition of "moral".

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »
USA #1!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:39:25 pm »
USA #1!

Precisely. "Huge" is not in doubt.

MtD

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »
"Data collected for the first time on global investments in HIV treatment-related research and development showed that at least US$ 2.46 billion was available in 2009"

Source: Treatment Action Group (TAG), New York

http://69.7.74.112/publication.aspx?id=4548

The current global ARV market is worth US$ 13 billion.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.