Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 343
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: please help please !!!!!  (Read 14051 times)

Offline w110djj

please help please !!!!!
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:33:32 am »
hello i am 21 years old male from the US and heterosexual. my last sexual encounter was a bit over ten weeks ago. very stupidly it was unprotected, for about 25 minutes. around three weeks after the occurence I woke up and had some red dots under my ureathral opening of my glans penis. i freked out went to the urgent care near my home and doc looked at it and thought it was herpes he did a swab culture and it came back negitive. there was never any buring intching or discharge. anyway they went away in a few days and nevr caused discomfort. about a week later (so about 0ne month after occurence) i got sick. I had white patches on my tonsils no where else, a sore throat mild , pink eye in both eyes, a very slight fever that was not always there sometime it was onther times it was gone. when there it was usually around 99.5 and never was higher than 100.5 . I thought it was strep because i was around  my cousin who had it and then a week after i had it my mother had the same symptoms of me. any way went back to the doctor he did not do a strep test because i didnot have a fever, and at the time my lymph nodes were not swollen at all. he said that I just had a sinisitis and viral upper respritory infection. but i begged him and he finally gave some ammox and drops for my eyes. after about 2 days of taking the meds everything went away. after i ws done with the meds I had a few reaccuring white spots on my tonsils again. spoke to a online doctor on medhelp and he keeps saying this is nnt related to HIV. (He is a HIV expert).anyway I was very scared so at 7 weeks 5 days past the last occurence I had a rapid HIV test done through finger stick and it was negitive!!!!! I also had a urinealysis for Trick, Gon. , and Chalymdia and all were negitive also. It calmed me down for a while but I got very scared again becasue my tonsils and some lymph nodes in my neck adn groin are slightly swollen still and my tonsils are red and alittle inflammed for the last 2 months!!! Al I now feel like I have a lump in my throat all the time. no other symptoms anymore. I went back to the health clinic at my university and had another HIV test at 10 weeks post expouser. they were not happy to see me again but finally gave me a test same kind rapid HIV test by finger stick. and it also was negitive!!!!!!!! all the online doctors say that it would be extremwly rare if my tests results changed. but I am still scared. I know I will get tested at 12 weeks , but all the experts on me dhelp say that I need to stop that my problems are not related to HIV and the nurse at the clinic said I should have tested positive if I was going to. PLease help me give me your thougths on wether you think thios is HIV or not? !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: please help please !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:58:36 pm »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after unprotected intercourse, either vaginal or anal. I agree with those who have told you that it's pretty much a slam dunk that you are going to test negative again when you re-test at 12-13 weeks. (The CDC recommends doing it at 13 weeks but 12 weeks is ok too.)

None of the symptoms you have been troubled about are in any way HIV specific. But then neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms should ever be the way you determine your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time can give you that answer.

I expect you to come out of this incident ok as far as HIV is concerned, but you do need to learn from this experience. You can have as much intercourse as you like and with partners regardless of their HIV status. BUT you must always without exception be wearing a latex condom.  It doesn't matter how great they look or what you think you know about their history. Use a condom everytime and you'll be well protected.

Whatever is causing your physical problems has nothing to do with HIV as far as I can tell. If you can't get it properly diagnosed then see another doctor.

Good luck with your test. As I said I expect you're going to test negative.

Cheers, 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:01:12 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:07:42 pm »
aww thank you so much. you dont know how much more reliefed I feel. does it matter that my two tests were rapid test? are those still ELISA? and when you say my symptoms i am worried about are not specific to HIV are you saying it doesnt sound like ARS? thank you for your knowledge. Also have you heard of negitive 10 wek test going positive after words? I dont have any other illnesses and trust me lesson is deffinently learnt on this matter. Also what could be causing they feeling of the lump in my throat? do you think it was just bad timing of getting sick and staying sick a few weeks after the encounter? thank you fo ryour time and expertise

all one last thing if someones symptoms were due to HIV infection would they test positive during that time?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:14:11 pm by w110djj »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »
We cannot attempt to responsibly diagnose your symptoms here. Sore throats happen for all sorts of (non-HIV) reasons. Your doctor has to deal with that.

The only very rare times I have known a negative to become a positive beyond ten weeks is when either intravenous drug use or treatment for cancer was involved. Otherwise a negative at 10 weeks in my experience remains a negative when re-tested.

The Rapid test is an FDA-approved test, so yes, it is reliable.

I think you have scooted by safely this time as I expect your next test result will confirm. 
Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:32:41 pm »
so you dont see a correlation between the penis rash that is still kinda there over two months later and me become sick a week after. I have shwon this to a dermatiologist twice and nothing had became of it. Im scared I know what I did was totally irresponsiable im so worried my test will become positive later on. I have never done drugs nor am I on chemo. but I heard of someone that tested negitive out to 113 days Elsia on only positive because of a PCR done at 83 days can you speculate on this. thank you so much

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 04:37:27 pm »
We don't speculate here. We deal in fact and science.

The fact is that you're all but negative. Test again at 12 weeks to satisfy the clinical guidelines and collect your negative result.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:01:40 pm »
Seems to me you are listening to your fears rather than to what you're being told here. We're careful about what we say and it's all well ground in HIV science.

Just because your doctor was unable to determine what caused your symptoms doesn't by default mean it's related to HIV. It means he's human and just hasn't diagnosed it correctly. If the problem persists then see another doctor until it gets properly taken care of.

I'm also always wary of that "I heard" kinda junk. Hearsay is not science. What you've been told here is grounded in HIV experience and knowledge. If you want to continue to listen to your mind going beserk that is up to you. I suggest as an alternative that you get productively busy during the rest of your waiting time until you can test and pick up what I certainly expect is going to be a negative test result. Really.   
Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
okay one more question thank you, being that I have been so depressed would that cause my immune system to be depressed and not make anti bodies to the virus. thank you. SO you all dont feel that this is HIV either?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:13:52 pm »
NO.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 07:56:47 pm »
Yes, your emotional state could adversely affect your immune system.

But more importantly, no, your emotional state would not affect your HIV test results one way or another.

And again, I expect you will continue to test negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:14:47 pm »
when I look in my throat my tonsils are very red and on the back of my throat on the esophagous it is very red. I do not have a sore thoat. but it seems that there are bumps on them red like and it feels like my throat is swollen. it does not hurt to talk or swollow it just feels tight so to speak. Do you still feel this is being caused by something else and not HIV. SHould I get HIV out of my head because I dont have it, or just because I tested negitive at 10 weeks.  For some reason probably the rash on my penis and the feeling in my throat I cant get the thought out of my head. WHY? Also andy are you saying that because my emotional state could effect my immune system does that mean it could inhibit antibodies from being produced or no.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 09:44:13 pm »
No he is saying your emotional state is making all roads in your head lead to HIV. HIV doesn't cause a rash on your penis during seroconversion. Also, you had a 10 week negative test which is very encouraging. Many people get sore throats at this time of year and none are due to HIV.

You CAN NOT tell if you have HIV from symptoms - only tests. Unlike measles, there is no defining symptom that makes a doctor think of HIV. The body reacts to most invading pathogens by swelling lymph nodes. There are far more common ailments that everyone gets that are nothing to do with HIV....that you would have got anyhow. You are only thinking of HIV because of this unprotected sex incident 10 weeks ago. The 'symptoms' of HIV are the same as the common cold, flu or mono because the body reacts the same way to many invading pathogens. Even if you didn't have a negative test at 10 weeks I would still not be concerned that your symptoms were evidence of HIV seroconversion. Trust me, after 4 years of reading stories exactly the same as yours I know that symptoms mean nothing at all. People have unprotected sex and get symptoms that look like they were copied and pasted from a HIV website and test negative at 13 weeks. They go through the same thing that you do and it turns out that it was not HIV.

Now, you should test at 13 weeks to be sure, as that is the window period....and you shouldn't have unprotected sex until you are 100% certain that the other person doesn't have STDs and is taking appropriate birth control. However, it is unlikely that this is HIV.

What is causing your symptoms? I have no idea. That is one for your doctor to figure out....and I encourage you to see him/her.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline w110djj

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 10:07:15 pm »
so do you think I need to get HIV out of my head?

DO you believe that I will continue to test negitive at three months?

If I test negitive at 3 months do you think I am in the clear?

If a 3 month test is negitive can I put this to rest or do I need to retest at 6 months?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 10:08:46 pm »
Yes
Most likely
Yes
Yes, 3 months is enough....no 6 months is too much. It's up to you.
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline w110djj

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 08:45:49 pm »
guys it is just shy of 3 months. two weeks till then and I just had another test today rapid test? NEGITIVE. the lady that tested me scared the shit out of me she said a negitive ten week test means nothing, and that she has seen ten week negitive tests turn positive many times!!!! by week 12.

what are your thoughts on this. she didnt seem very professional. and nearly two months later my throat is still sore. and my penis rash is tingling alot. At another clinic I went to today the nurse practioner was very professional but she said she doesnt think I have anything to worry about. she thinks I deff going to be negitive. at week 12. and said that I wont need to test anymore after week 12? is this true? also the only things that I havent been tested for is hep. and shypilis I asked her if I should be tested for these and she said no. she said that I would have had gon or chlamydia. help me guys. what should I be thinking? Do you think I need to get HIV out of my head? does any of what is happening to me sound like HIV?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 09:38:13 pm »
Many people turn positive at 12 weeks when they tested negative at 10?

I've been around AIDS in one form or another for years and I've never heard of such a case. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen - it just means it's vanishingly rare. I'm fairly confident none of my fellow experts have heard of such a case either.

That said you should still test at 13 weeks for the sake of clinical correctness. I expect that result will be negative.

Have you considered getting some face to face counseling? I think you'd benefit from it. We're not really equipped to provide you with emotional support and counseling here and holding your hand while you wait to test at 12 weeks is getting tiring.

MtD

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:14 pm »
One other thing W,

Don't send me PM's hassling me to answer your tedious questions. I'll answer you when and if it suits me. Maybe you should read this.

MtD

Offline w110djj

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »
okay I am very very sorry.

If anyone else would like to give me there thought as well I would greatly appreicate it.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 09:53:11 pm »
The only way you are going to get peace of mind is to test out to the 3 months..and like the others I expect this to be a negative result.

Your Doctor is the only one who can help you with your throat and rash problems.

You are getting yourself worked up over nothing, after you have received your negative result and find you are still having emotional problems then it's best you sit down and talk to a therpist, as Matty said we are not equipped to help you with those issues here.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline w110djj

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 09:54:48 pm »
so you do not feel that my persisting throat infection and penis rash is related to HIV?

Offline w110djj

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:02:46 pm »
also does a negitive ten week test mean anything? what are the chances of me being a late seroconverter? i have NEVER done any drugs and have been healthy other than this throat infection and penis rash i now have.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 01:00:07 am »
so you do not feel that my persisting throat infection and penis rash is related to HIV?

No it is not related to HIV.

A negative at 10 weeks means there is an excellent, excellent chance that your 13 week result with be negative..it's time for you to move on, asking the same questions over and over is not going to change the answersyou have been given so far...it doesn't matter how you put the question the answer will remain the same..you are HIV negative.

Jan

Offline w110djj

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 03:00:24 pm »
hello everyone and thank you for helping me through this. It is now 12 weeks past my potental expouser and I just went for a another rapid HIV test at my college health clinic. IT was NEGITIVE. also my doctor did a CBC complete blood count on me because he said he wanted to show me nothing was wrong with my lymph nodes and I also got those results back today also it it was NORMAL also. so Does this mean I am in the clear . I am still alittle troubled because my lymph nodes in my throat and on the sides of my neck are still somewhat enlarged its been over a month. does all this mean that I do NOT hav HIV? DO I need to move on now from this expouser. Am I HIV negitive. also SHould I re-test in a few months or NO?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:06:55 pm by w110djj »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 03:17:55 pm »
Stop with the HIV worries!!!!!!

You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You are HIV negative. Period. No further HIV testing is needed. End of story.

Whatever is causing your swollen nodes has nothing to do with HIV. If they persist and it troubles you that's something for you to discuss with your doctor.

Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2008, 03:27:35 pm »
okay i am really tring I was confident at first but for some reason I cannot get it out of my head. I am seeing councelling a my school for this reason. I am very thankful for your help it means the world to me and because of this inciddent I plan on trying to help other people undrestand HIV and help them practice safer sex. I will always keep all of you in my prayers thank you so much. So i am HIV negitive for sure? you seem very confident

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 03:32:48 pm »
Yes, I am very confident that you're HIV negative. You have taken an approved test at the appropriate time and you've tested HIV negative. It doesn't get any better than that.

It's good that you are becoming an advocate for practicing safer sex. Maybe that will help you to get past your unwarranted fears about HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 02:30:04 pm »
hello andy or anyone who will read this. earlier in the week my doctor did a viral Load test on me. Was this a bad idea. I showed him the test results from all my other tests. but he said he thinks its approiate because how stressed I am. i promise his will be the last post I make so please read it and give me some advice. I should be getting the results in a day or two. I am afriad of the results because my nodes on my neck are still swollen and I have white pus pokcets everynow and then on one of my tonsils. also my neck is sore and this has been well over two months now. can you please comment on my situaion and about the viral load!!!!! what do you truly think? thank yuo ery much

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:46 pm »
You are HIV negative. Period. End of story. So whatever is causing your physical symptoms is something your doctor has to sort out with you. Viral load testing is totally inappropriate. You're HIV negative.

And if you keep coming back here with more details and insisting HIV IS the issue you're going to end up getting a time out. HIV is not your issue. Fears about it -- well, that's something else but it's emotional and not HIV with you.
Andy Velez

Offline w110djj

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 05:25:48 pm »
hello all I know this is not a coun celing center and I am so sorry But im scared that my 12 week rapid test missed something my lymph nodes are swollen in my neck and my neck aches. please help... What do you feel will be the ouitcome of my viral load. with my trest negitive at twelve weeks but the doctor still doing a viral load why whould he still do it. please heklp me

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 05:40:02 pm »
the doctor still doing a viral load why whould he still do it. please heklp me

You will have to take this up with your Doctor, there is nothng else we can add to the advise we have already been given you.

You are HIV negative, end of story, it's time for you to move on, sending PM's Moderators is not going to change anything.

Jan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 06:12:47 pm »
w,

Your doctor obviously knows nothing about hiv testing. Your twelve week negative antibody test was conclusive and you did not need viral load testing. This type of testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes as it has a high rate of FALSE positives. Let's hope you don't get one of those.

You are already conclusively hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline w110djj

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 06:29:31 pm »
ann,
being tha you said this can cause high false positives now i am very scared. do you know the rates of false poitives also does it mater that I am in the US. im scared now i should get the results back tomorrow ivery scared. still nearly 2 monthes since ive been sick i still have white pus pockets on my tonsil.(one)  but lymph nodes on both sides of my neck are swollen

Offline w110djj

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 07:48:26 pm »
please can someone help me?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »
There is nothing more to add. You have your conclusive negative test and you are HIV NEGATIVE. See a doctor if you are concerned about your throat. It has nothing to do with HIV.

Offline w110djj

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 07:54:33 pm »
ra[id what about the viral load test. the doctor says there is nothing wrong with my throat but ive had white pus pocket on my tonsil for two months now and swollen lymph nodes that wont go away had a CBC and it was normal

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:48 pm »
There is nothing more to add. You have your conclusive negative test and you are HIV NEGATIVE. See a doctor if you are concerned about your throat. It has nothing to do with HIV.

You've already been answered....repeatedly.  Good grief.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline w110djj

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »
im terrified of the viral load plese comment

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:30 pm »
im terrified of the viral load plese comment

No.  I won't.  Because that has been answered as well.

Goodbye now. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 08:35:37 pm »
This silliness has gone on long enough.

Reported.

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 09:59:43 pm »
w110djj

I have given you a 28 day time out, you need to take this time to talk to your Doctor..you keep asking the same question and we keep giving you the same answer but you are not listening..you are HIV NEGATIVE..it's time for you to move on.

Please do not try and create another user name to get back in before your ban expires..if you do then this will lead to a permanant ban.

Jan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.