Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anyone noticed??????  (Read 8816 times)

Offline franfrog

Has anyone noticed??????
« on: September 19, 2006, 01:49:31 pm »
Has anyone noticed since their diagnosis, a sensitivity with skin.  I feel like I bruise easier.  I know before I bruised very easy due to anemia but now my iron has been normal with the combivir.  Also when a mosquito bites me, holy hell, what a swelling and some pain.  Thanks
Fran
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Re: Has anyone noticed??????
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 02:01:35 pm »
My doctor mentioned something about the immune system becoming hypersensitive in general from HIV, especially to things like mosquitoes (since I live in the thick of mosquito country).  As for bruising, I haven't noticed any difference.

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 02:16:28 pm »
Hello Fran,
Yes, I have noticed that I bruise much easier now and things like little pinches or bumps hurt alot more now.

Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 05:04:18 pm »
I get small sores on my arms that WILL NOT heal.
It is driving me mad, and my Dermotologist says I am DOING IT TO MYSELF!

I have done everything she has told me to do and they will not heal. I am reluctant to leave the house without long sleeves, it is so embarrasing.
Jeff

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 05:16:01 pm »
I'll take the 5th on the source of most of my bruising. It seems at times they come out of nowhere though. And, as for those flying vampires, I try to avoid them. Fortunately, they don't find me that attractive coz they bite my partner before they even think about touching me. Must be my cologne, or lack thereof.

Speaking of cologne, if your outside with someone, have them wear Obsession. That's why my guy wears. Makes me sneeze but it's a great bug magnet ;)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 10:13:18 pm »
Hi Fran

Yes. I absolutely bruise much more easily now. And, while I've always had the skin type that mosquitoes go for, now, when I'm bitten the welt is huge, hot and painful to the touch. In the past year, the reaction has gone from the usual big welt to hyper-big welt. Further, I don't think I heal quite as fast as I used to, but I'm also aging, too.

Em

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 10:43:23 pm »
Fran, open the door, before you walk thru it.. ;D  I bash into all kinds of crap and so far, everything fixes itself..  Ask your doc next time around sweet thing...

Love

Offline Dennis

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 10:48:42 pm »
I haven't noticed any skin sensitivity, but I have noticed that since beginning meds the mosquitos don't touch me.  I visit Sanibel/Captiva Islands every few months and the mosquitos are horrible there and used to eat me alive.  Know when I visit I sit back and laugh at my friends and family as they literally bathe in Skin-So-Soft.

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:08:25 am »
i have been noticing brusing easily,even before i was diagnosed,but then again,i dont know exactly when my infection started exactly,but the healing process is very long,take care

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:28:47 am »
this came up awhile back in this thread :  http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1518.0   

Im not sure if its HAART or something to do with a weakened immune system, but it does seem to be pretty common.. 
Personally the only skin sensitivity I had ( other than the bite reaction) was when I was taking Bactrim but I followed the sun precautions and it went away promptly when I discontinued Bactrim..
For me, the best stuff I found was Benadryl Max Strength anti itch cream.. I absolutely will not leave home without it.
and get that Supesized can of OFF ...
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 06:00:51 am »
Chronic seb dermatitis. Never goes away, not even with fluconazole.

MtD

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:59:56 am »
I am more sensitive to the sun than I used to be and I seem to bruise a lot more.

But, then again, I'm not 22 either, so maybe that has something to do with it.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 03:07:43 pm »
Seborreic Dermatitis in much more common in HIV+ people. That's what my Dr. told me but, its evolution,  does not mean your immune system is better or worse. It is not an indicator of the state of HIV infection.
He always talks about my patelets (fortunately always good counts). HIV can reduce patelets in blood and that can increase the risk of bruising and bleeding.
I also read somewhere that HIV hides in the skin...maybe that could be a reason for it...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline franfrog

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 03:24:58 pm »
Thanks guys.  I knew those doors were supposed to do something other then stay where they are Eric, thanks! ;)  Luckily my bloodwork has shown good and actually I react better to the sun.  I use to burn and go right back to my pale self, now I tan.  I am a little more irritable to it though. 
Mark, I thought you were only 21? :o  I was not sure if this was age also.  I amstill I guess a spring chicken......30!
Thanks again!
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 08:26:25 pm »
hello, hope you have been well. To reply yes I bruise easier and mosquito bites are more sensitive.  Hope it gets better but feel like it will probably just be something to get used to.    Cristy

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 10:25:27 pm »
You know what they say "Dirty 30"... 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2006, 12:02:40 am »
Fran-

Vitamin A lotion on the skin does an amazing job with bruises.  I was told this by an IV drug user who came to the rehab center where I used to work.  Clears up track marks like a charm! 

-joe

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 12:59:54 am »
damn ,eric how did you get my pic of fran?or is it she sent you one too? ::)

Offline franfrog

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 07:45:14 am »
Yeah, Alive, if I looked like that I would send it and post it everywhere!!!!!  Thanks Joe, now I know if I ever decide to shoot up.. ;)  no, I will have to try that.
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 07:08:00 pm »
Yeah, Alive, if I looked like that I would send it and post it everywhere!!!!!  Thanks Joe, now I know if I ever decide to shoot up.. ;)  no, I will have to try that.

Actually, if you want to stop the mosquitoes from biting you, go to the herbal store (assuming there's one nearby) buy some catnip oil, and mix it with your favorite oil based hand lotion.  Mosquitoes HATE catnip; however, cat's don't.  Careful, or you might get raped by the neighborhood strays.

-joe
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 07:23:46 pm by Strayboy74 »

Offline simon695

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 09:29:48 pm »
Yes Mosquito Bites Are Definately Worse,But How About Allergies?
I Now Am Allergic To Cats ,Feathers Fur,Dust ETC,Its Driving Me
Nuts!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 07:18:25 am »
Oddly enough those pesky insects never bothered David when he was alive...as a matter of fact
he always laughed about it and said having toxic blood came in handy sometimes.  Not me...I must
be sweet meat for mosquitoes..gnats too. ::)

Thanks Joe for the info.......  Didn't know they made Vitamin A lotion.  Just goes to show you
you learn something new everyday.... :o

But don't get me started on Catnip...  Ms Peepers was immune to its effects.  Just the thought of adding
it to my hand lotion makes me sneeze.  Yikes! :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 01:32:32 pm »
Oddly enough those pesky insects never bothered David when he was alive...as a matter of fact
he always laughed about it and said having toxic blood came in handy sometimes.  Not me...I must
be sweet meat for mosquitoes..gnats too. ::)

Thanks Joe for the info.......  Didn't know they made Vitamin A lotion.  Just goes to show you
you learn something new everyday.... :o

But don't get me started on Catnip...  Ms Peepers was immune to its effects.  Just the thought of adding
it to my hand lotion makes me sneeze.  Yikes! :P

Many hand creams have vitamin A in them, but I actually found some vitamin A lotion (it looked like aloe vera gel) that was just vitamin A lotion.  And let me tell you, it WAS the shit on bruises!  God bless thos IV drug users. :)  So crafty they are! :)

-joe

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 06:50:32 pm »
Yes, my mosquito bites DO swell more than before, but red ant bites are much worse. I swell like if I was probably bitten by a wasp! Believe me when I say that my foot swells so much it doesn't fit in my shoe and the stings are much more painful. They last for about 3 days but the mosquito bites go away after a day or so. I now avoid being in sandals around the yard. I have never been stung by a bee or a wasp, but I get the feeling that I'll end up in a hospital emergency room if I ever am!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:54:10 pm by Catman »
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.