Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 01:13:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: You Deserve A Break Today  (Read 12378 times)

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
You Deserve A Break Today
« on: June 13, 2011, 01:06:13 pm »
An online hoax that falsely suggests McDonald's discriminates against African-American customers is causing a PR headache for the Golden Arches.

Over the weekend, the photograph above circulated widely on the internet. The image shows what looks like an official McDonald's notice in the window of a restaurant, telling customers that blacks will be charged $1.50 extra "as an insurance measure due in part to a recent string of robberies."

Many internet users retweeted the photo, using the words "Seriously McDonald's," to express their disapproval of the burger chain.

In response, McDonald's sent a tweet of its own on Saturday: "That pic is a senseless & ignorant hoax McD's values ALL our customers. Diversity runs deep in our culture on both sides of the counter."

But that clearly wasn't enough to clear things up, because Twitter users continued to send out the picture, with that same message of condemnation: "Seriously McDonald's." Indeed, so many people sent "Seriously McDonald's" Tweets that the phrase became a leading entry on Twitter's trend list.

That led to a second, blunter McTweet, on Sunday: "That Seriously McDonalds picture is a hoax."

The latest pushback effort seems to have helped keep the photo from spreading too much further--but there's no telling how many people out there still think the photo is for real.

This is hardly the only recent barrage of negative publicity for the burger behemoth--some of it more justified. McDonalds CEO Jim Skinner recently was forced to defend the company's renewed use of the Ronald McDonald mascot to appeal to children, after critics said the restaurant's fat-laden burgers and fries endanger kids' health.

It's not clear who created the hoax image. It appears to have first showed up on the popular 4chan message board, and it was posted last year on an anti-McDonald's blog.

But there's no doubt it's fake. As some Twitter users have pointed out, the toll-free number given at the bottom of the sign is actually the number for ... Kentucky Fried Chicken.

don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: You Deserve A Break Today
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 01:35:43 pm »
Nearly all of those phone numbers go to the very same building located right here just outside of Atlanta.  They just ring up on the phones differently depending on which number was dialed.  Pizza Hut, Hardee's, KFC...and that mess. 

I'm amazed at how many people will instantly believe anything they see on the net.  A surcharge for black people? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »
Is it true that you can get HIV from a Big Mac?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »
I bet the evil clown put that note on the door , stupid clown .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:23 pm »
Is it true that you can get HIV from a Big Mac?
Shhhh don't tell anyone -
although, I heard there is a guy online who has a clinic in Bucharest who has a video saying that Big Mac's cure teh AIDS... ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:05:22 pm »
Shhhh don't tell anyone -
although, I heard there is a guy online who has a clinic in Bucharest who has a video saying that Big Mac's cure teh AIDS... ::)

It's actually true -- there's an enzyme in the Special Sauce™ that prevents replication.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:06:56 pm »
It's actually true -- there's an enzyme in the Special Sauce™ that prevents replication. reproduction

I like this better.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 02:10:21 pm »
this would never happen at Five Guys!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »

I still haven't tried that place but everyone I know raves about them.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »

Only fast food place I go to anymore (unless I'm traveling on an interstate). Pricier though, but that's because their standard burger is a double, and the order of fries (which are fresh cut potatoes) is massive. I never can finish the fries.  It's also about the toppings selection, and they don't charge extra for them either so all in all it's not a bad deal.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »

Trey:

I've heard you've tried five guys before --

oh, I'm sorry, you were talking about the restaurant --- my bad...  ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 03:31:00 pm »

Yes it would.  They reject annoying kids from Meesseesseepee.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:37:18 pm »
Yes it would.  They reject annoying kids from Meesseesseepee.

You're just angry because your entire state can't drive.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 03:43:21 pm »
You're just angry because your entire state can't drive.

Funny that as you typed this there was a minor crash in front of the restaurant where I'm having lunch.  It has never really stressed me out much; don't forget that I moved to Miami from New York.  And I lived in South America, where driving is pretty much a survival of the fittest endeavour.   Nothing fazes me. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 04:04:16 pm »
How about a surcharge for stupid people - for believing this is real.

BIG TWINKIE POINTS if you know (without looking it up) where this monologue came from:

". .  .Why, oh why do we pay taxes, huh?! Just so we can have bloody parking restrictions, and bloody ugly traffic wardens, and bollocky pedestrian bloody crossings!!...Why not just have a "Stupidity Tax?" Just tax the stupid people!!"
04/19/11 - Diagnosed positive
04/29/11 - CD4 188 @ 12.5% / VL 18k
05/03/11 - CD4 171 @ unk% / VL 7k
06/04/11 - Start Truvada/Isentress
07/11/11 - CD4 not tested / VL UD
09/07/11 - CD4 252 @ unk% / VL UD

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 04:06:15 pm »
This restaurant sign was not a prank.

Sign At Local Eatery: No English, No Service

http://www.wxii12.com/news/27201741/detail.html

LEXINGTON, N.C. -- For patrons at a Lexington diner, it doesn't get much clearer: if you don't speak English, you won't get service.
 A sign, posted on the door at the Reedy Creek Family Diner off Highway 150, warns guests that the staff is only prepared to converse with those who speak "American."
 "God bless America and all who those who protect and serve our great country. We only speak and understand American," the sign says.
 Owner Greg Simons, who bought the restaurant in June, said a month ago an exchange between a Latino customer who couldn't speak English and the staff made his employees feel uncomfortable.
 A second exchange with a group of Spanish-speaking customers was the tipping point, Simons said, prompting him to put up the sign.
Simons claimed the sign has nothing to do with race. "Everyones' money is green. This is not a racial barrier," he said...

The restaurant's owner received numerous threats and took the sign down. The story made national news and he received support and put the sign back up. He reports business increased. Last week he closed the restaurant citing failing health of his mother.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 04:07:53 pm »
lol "American" is now a language apparently.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »
2nd rate effort, Ford -- We started that trend here in Filthydelphia five years ago, in fact a mere five blocks from my apartment.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:19:32 pm »
In this type of economic climate, I'm not sure whether these people want to alienate a segment of population willing to spend money.

If I ran a business, I'd be like "order in Swahili if you want". IDFC. I'll take your money.

Does that make me a whore?  ;)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 04:26:48 pm »
In this type of economic climate, I'm not sure whether these people want to alienate a segment of population willing to spend money.

If I ran a business, I'd be like "order in Swahili if you want". IDFC. I'll take your money.

Does that make me a whore?  ;)

So I really don't think this is "Those damned non english speaking people are ruining our country and I refuse to serve them!", but probably more along the lines of "I have no idea what you're trying to order and you will take up an inordinate amount of my time because of your inability to communicate with me in my native tongue".

I could be wrong, but I've been in the situation where someone was unable to speak, didn't speak english, had a cajun accent that was so thick that even I (a native louisianian) couldn't decipher what they were attempting to say.  If you know that communication is going to be an issue why wouldn't you think ahead to bring something to write on/with, maybe a spanish-> English dictionary, or for the love of christ just point to pictures on the menu if there were any pictures.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 04:30:59 pm »
I run a dining car for you-know-who and we get a lot of people from outside of the country.  Some of them do not speak a word of English.  I have never found myself impatient to a point where I felt they were a nuisance or taking up too much of my valuable time.

I'm sorry but this clearly has some bigoted origins.  Just MHO.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 04:37:13 pm »
I run a dining car for you-know-who and we get a lot of people from outside of the country.  Some of them do not speak a word of English.  I have never found myself impatient to a point where I felt they were a nuisance or taking up too much of my valuable time.

I'm sorry but this clearly has some bigoted origins.  Just MHO.

Really? Maybe I have no patience but I am to the point of wanting to throw things when after minutes of attempted conversation someone is just smiling like an idiot at me.

Offline Betelgeuse

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
Ok that's one thing.

But if you look at the picture, you'll see phrases like, "I want my country back", or "This is America - speak English".  That just doesn't seem like someone innocently feeling a little impatient about having to figure out what his customer wants to order.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 04:41:19 pm »
How are people who can't read American going to understand the sign in the window?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »
So I really don't think this is "Those damned non english speaking people are ruining our country and I refuse to serve them!", but probably more along the lines of "I have no idea what you're trying to order and you will take up an inordinate amount of my time because of your inability to communicate with me in my native tongue".

I could be wrong, but I've been in the situation where someone was unable to speak, didn't speak english, had a cajun accent that was so thick that even I (a native louisianian) couldn't decipher what they were attempting to say.  If you know that communication is going to be an issue why wouldn't you think ahead to bring something to write on/with, maybe a spanish-> English dictionary, or for the love of christ just point to pictures on the menu if there were any pictures.

Actually you're wrong, at least in the case of Geno's that I linked to. This is a traditionally Italian-American neighborhood, but in the past 10 years significant amounts of both Vietnamese and Mexicans have moved in. That's who it's aimed at.

Let's put it this way -- it's not aimed at a wealthy tourist from France lacking a command of English. It's about demographic change in a specific area.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 04:54:28 pm »
Thunter:  The sign actually displayed the message in multiple languages.

Philly:  I was talking about the other guy,  I read the wikipedia article for Geno's and it does seem more racially motivated.  The guy in North Carolina could be as well, but I was just giving my account of how frustrating it can be to deal with someone who doesn't have a way to communicate with you in even a half assed way.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 04:57:53 pm »
Thunter:  The sign actually displayed the message in multiple languages.

Philly:  I was talking about the other guy,  I read the wikipedia article for Geno's and it does seem more racially motivated.  The guy in North Carolina could be as well, but I was just giving my account of how frustrating it can be to deal with someone who doesn't have a way to communicate with you in even a half assed way.

Alas dear, tis a fact of life in a nation of immigrants. I think it's just you've lived your life mostly in an area with low amounts of this. You should move to Queens, NY.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »
http://youtu.be/UzDDJm27vmc

couldn't resist   :-X
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »
You should move to Queens, NY.

Girl, please.  Why should Queens have to put up with huh.  She's more Staten Island.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 06:24:41 pm »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 06:26:37 pm »
Girl, please.  Why should Queens have to put up with huh.  She's more Staten Island.

Just trying to expose her to a locality where you can hear 2.3 million residents speaking 138 different languages.

Now which specific Queens neighborhood should we stick her ass in? I bet some Columbian cousin of yours lives in Sunnyside. However I'm thinking it would be more amusing for her to run a porn shop with some Bengladeshis in Ozone Park.

If we stuck her in Staten Island all she'd be doing is watching Jersey Shore and hanging out with Susan Molinari.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:28:20 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 06:36:43 pm »
Staten Island, Hoooraaaay

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:23 pm »
How are people who can't read American going to understand the sign in the window?

Can't read American?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:23 pm »

I could be wrong, but I've been in the situation where someone was unable to speak, didn't speak english, had a cajun accent that was so thick that even I (a native louisianian) couldn't decipher what they were attempting to say.  If you know that communication is going to be an issue why wouldn't you think ahead to bring something to write on/with, maybe a spanish-> English dictionary, or for the love of christ just point to pictures on the menu if there were any pictures.

It is obvious that you have not traveled to other countries, where you are the foreigner, because you do not speak the language.  I've traveled extensively and even in France, I never encountered anyone who had a problem with the fact that I did not speak the local language.  A little common sense goes a long way to bridging a communication gap without using language.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »
Can't read American?

For years, Stephen's brother, who lives in the Panhandle of Florida, has admonished people to talk "American."

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »
Just trying to expose her to a locality where you can hear 2.3 million residents speaking 138 different languages.

Now which specific Queens neighborhood should we stick her ass in? I bet some Columbian cousin of yours lives in Sunnyside. However I'm thinking it would be more amusing for her to run a porn shop with some Bengladeshis in Ozone Park.

If we stuck her in Staten Island all she'd be doing is watching Jersey Shore and hanging out with Susan Molinari.

Let's stick her southern belle ass in Far Rockaway or Southside Jamaica. They'll be glad to teach huh a lesson in diversity.  My cousins in Astoria and Sunnyside (and the ones in Brooklyn --in Bensonhurst) would probably show her around and then abandon her somewhere near Bed-Stuy.  Miss thang would love that.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:03 pm »
Let's stick her southern belle ass in Far Rockaway or Southside Jamaica. They'll be glad to teach huh a lesson in diversity.  My cousins in Astoria and Sunnyside (and the ones in Brooklyn --in Bensonhurst) would probably show her around and then abandon her somewhere near Bed-Stuy.  Miss thang would love that.

How did your cousins move into Bensonhurst? I knew that the Chinese were filtering into that Lucchese-Gigante-Gotti crime syndicate hood but now those cocaine snorting Columbians?

btw, remember this -- had the hugest crush on Sasha? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X3_k3xino

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:08 pm »
How did your cousins move into Bensonhurst? I knew that the Chinese were filtering into that Lucchese-Gigante-Gotti crime syndicate hood but now those cocaine snorting Columbians?

btw, remember this -- had the hugest crush on Sasha? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0X3_k3xino

I know.  My peeps are everywhere these days. Some of the Moonies of New York tend to have a particular aversion towards Jackson Heights so they have moved all over the city.  The owner of this place is part of the extended family.  I've never eaten there though, as I have heard from a cousin that their food is just ok.

Wow, Sasha Mitchell. Blast from the past.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2011, 08:50:28 pm »
Some of the Moonies of New York tend to have a particular aversion towards Jackson Heights

They obviously don't understand and appreciate the nightly goings-ons at Club Atlantis with the transexual divas performing the latest hits from Shakira, much less the selections of Rick Astley (followed by Celia Cruz) on the jukebox at Friend's Tavern.

Speaking of same, I wonder how Queens Pride was last weekend. Used to be fab until they closed down Tragic Touch. Did I ever mention to you how Will LeMay used to dance in a thong on the bar before his modeling career took off?  And honey, I used to CARRY in the basement VIP lounge.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:53:19 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 12:24:12 am »
They obviously don't understand and appreciate the nightly goings-ons at Club Atlantis with the transexual divas performing the latest hits from Shakira, much less the selections of Rick Astley (followed by Celia Cruz) on the jukebox at Friend's Tavern.

Speaking of same, I wonder how Queens Pride was last weekend. Used to be fab until they closed down Tragic Touch. Did I ever mention to you how Will LeMay used to dance in a thong on the bar before his modeling career took off?  And honey, I used to CARRY in the basement VIP lounge.

Heh heh.  Cha cha!  Gotta love Atlantis. 

You really know your way around the niuyorkinas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.