Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:24:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 453
Total: 453

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Spring into Summer 2014...  (Read 39511 times)

Offline mitch777

Re: Spring into Summer 2014...
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2014, 05:16:25 pm »
Yesterday they said it would go up to 78F here today and instead we only reached 68F. Next week, however, we'll mostly be +80F if they are correct. Our long-range June forecast shows only two days +85F so we are still running on average below normal.

Shush! It will just solidify Pat Sajak's worldly views of climate change.

And Michael, I need to see pictures! As far as Zach's hat, mini said this latest one makes him look older. I can't decide.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2014, 06:57:56 pm »
Michael, I would love to see pictures of your garden. 

The temps were supposed to drop today to 60F; instead it is 81F right now.  The temp has been going up.  It's already been like 86F here.  I had to use the air because the humidity here is so thick. 

Of course, after that long, long winter we had, I'm not complaining!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »
I would love to see Pics of Michael's garden . He is an excellent photographer so they should be really good . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2014, 06:46:31 am »
Currently enjoying the severe storms that are moving through.  Surprised we haven't lost power yet.  It was kinda sad seeing my 30 year old truck getting pounded by huge hail stones.  Then I realized that other peoples' new vehicles were also getting it.

OH, and I pulled my weed flower and decided to actually plant my first ever miniature roses.  Immediately was stuck with a damn thorn.  That flower selling lady should have explained that gloves were needed to transplant them.  Now I don't like them anymore and I might not feed the one that butchered me.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2014, 06:37:25 am »
Damn, did we already start a Summer into Autumn thread?  :)

Like an idiot, I cleaned the entire fence line last summer upon buying this place.  All it did was allow me a direct view to things I didn't want to see.  Everything grew back with a vengeance including the new ivy plants I put in this Spring.  I also didn't realize the entire back fence line is Raspberries.  Not sure which of these are weeds but I'm keeping them all as it gives me a bit of privacy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2014, 06:47:47 am »
That bottom picture is my proximity to the lake.  That's the yacht club in the background and the big white building is the new micro brewery.  They've done great and the good news is that they bought the property across the street from me.  That's the only other residence on this street. 

The brick building is for the god fearing Catholics who despise all the wicked ways of those visiting the brewery and the yacht club.  Our Lady of Mount Carmel.  They help by keeping all the wickedness away.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2014, 10:23:55 am »
Looks pretty private to me Greg. Yes, those are weeds growing on your fence but I can see why you would want to leave them. That's a nice sized yard! I would be going nuts at the garden center spending my wallet dry. lol.

So nice that it's such a short walk to church for you.   ;)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »
This really has been the oddest summer weather that I can remember in ages. I doubt we hit 90 degrees more than 4 or 5 days. The 10 day forecast is for highs in the upper 70's to low 80's. Even Miss P's weather guru doubts that most of us will see temps above 92 for the rest of the summer.

Not a good year for my tomatoes but I'm not complaining. I'm hoping for a warmer than usual winter to top it off.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2014, 07:41:38 pm »
They always say you cannot blame one weather event on climate change.  But, there is no doubt it is happening and I think we are actually seeing it.  We've had all these years with weather that is not the norm.

In 2009, we had a very cool summer.  I remember many people weren't going to lakes or pools.  There were days in July that year, that we had to wear jackets.  Then, we had that winter that didn't even feel like winter.  Winter never really came.  Then, we had a very hot summer.  Then, that Polar Vortex winter. 

This summer has been pretty mild and very cloudy and gloomy here.  We just had days in low 70's.  It is hot and muggy today, but suppose to be back around 72 for highs next week.  And, we haven't gotten much rain.  I couldn't remember the last time it rained.  We finally got some and it was 3 inches all at once.  Back to dry again, though and stretches of days with no rain.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2014, 07:55:58 pm »
Even Miss P's weather guru doubts that most of us will see temps above 92 for the rest of the summer.

Yeah, I saw that myself on FB this morning. We've only gone above 95F once this year and that was only 96F.  It's not that it's been cold though, just more in the historical norm or a degree or two under that.

But not a single instance of a week-long brutal heatwave.

HOWEVER on a global scale both May and June were the hottest on record, and the 352nd hotter than average month in a row.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
Its been so nice here Im getting a I love global warming bumper sticker . Not really but it has been so very nice .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2014, 06:55:22 am »
The long rang forecast on accuweather shows us only going over 90F one day from now until the end of August. If that actually holds true it's as if summer has ended two months early.

I'm not complaining though -- 85F daytime highs with 70F nighttime lows I consider perfect weather.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2014, 07:17:20 am »
I definitely am not complaining about our lower than average temps.  Everyday has pretty much been glorious with nice breezes and low temps at night.  The local farmers are benefiting beyond belief.  The corn fields were not only knee high by the 4th of July, they were taller than most men.

I rec'd email notification that my electric bill was ready to view yesterday.  I cringed at the thought.  Totally surprised that my first full month resulted in an average use of about $3.00 daily.  My home is mostly electric including having a well except for having a gas stove and heat in the winter.  I was not at all happy with my gas bill though.  It is $35 and I only used the freaking stove twice.  Each meal cost me over $17.00 to prepare!  :( 

I contacted them to see if perhaps it was an estimated bill or if I need to have someone check for leaks.  Nope, that is the minimum bill even is you use none.  Am seriously considering switching completely over to all electric.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2014, 07:11:38 pm »
I'm so in awe and jealous of Betty's landscaping that I almost pretended I accidentally deleted them.   ;D

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »
Lol.  Thanks Greg for doing that.  Although I did not do that; my friend's mother paid for a landscaper for a housewarming present for us.  That was very nice.  Now we have to keep it up. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #115 on: July 26, 2014, 07:54:32 pm »
I think Betty should host a part for the forum .... Betty, its great you got you pics online . I sent them to Ann the other day and she loved them as well .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: July 26, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »
I think Betty should host a part for the forum .... Betty, its great you got you pics online . I sent them to Ann the other day and she loved them as well .

I'd love to.   Now, if left to me, the pics would still not be up.  Greg told me he would put them up if I e-mailed them to him.  Now Jeff, you're only 12 hours away, and you could pick up Greg on the way here.  If we could only get rid of this raccoon family living under the deck right by the garage.  It's a mama and 3 babies.  They're pretty fucking awful.  I believe we're going to this farm store to get some repellant; if anyone has any ideas, let me know.  My friend said someone told her moth balls are a cheap repellant, but I don't think we're getting that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:13:33 pm by BT65 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #117 on: July 26, 2014, 08:14:54 pm »
I'd love to.   Now, if left to me, the pics would still not be up.  Greg told me he would put them up if I e-mailed them to him.  Now Jeff, you're only 12 hours away, and you could pick up Greg on the way here.

LOL . Im also about that far from Greg . When I drove to Iowa and back to get my friends hitched it damn near crippled me you know . You need to come to bama to see you family anyway .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #118 on: July 26, 2014, 08:18:10 pm »
Just signing in for a moment. Dinner has arrived. Wow Betty! Beautiful! More later...

Offline initforlife

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2014, 09:19:22 pm »
Betty, get ya an old red bone coon dog. that way you can listen to the howls of the dog all night.. LOL  try and animal cage trap and then either kill it or have it moved to another area away from your house! I  happen to love the sound of a treeing dog!  caught my last husband by coon hunting with him .. that's a story for another time lol 
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »
Im at my friend Tim's house and there is a family of armadillos living under the deck and they are not scared of us at all and will walk right up to us .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »
cook em, seriously, armadillo is good stew

Offline initforlife

« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2014, 11:46:45 pm »
cook em, seriously, armadillo is good stew
   YUCK!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline wolfter

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2014, 12:40:00 am »
Betty, I absolutely love the serene feel of your place.  I've decided to maybe do some flowers.  I know how to heal animals but damned if i know to feed roses. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2014, 11:29:04 am »
So Betty, you went from having no garden to this! No excuses now for getting those hands dirty.  :)

What a wonderful setting. It must be nice to have a view of the lake let alone a dock with a boat. Cool!

I'm not sure what to suggest about your raccoons. I thought the deer had been in my veggie garden the past few days. The swiss chard was chomped to bits. Discovered today that the varmint is a darned groundhog. Grrr... we had one hang around a few years ago and it devoured most everything. Let me know if you find a solution. Maybe it would work for groundhogs too?

Anyway, congrats again!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2014, 11:42:23 am »
Thanks guys.  M, believe me, my hands have already gotten dirty lol.

The raccoons are gone.  My friend and I went to the farm store down the road and got this stuff called Critter Ridder.  It worked.  And it's nontoxic, so it won't harm other animals.  I don't know if I mentioned this, but there is a black kitty that lives under the deck.  I guess he's been there for a long time, and the lady who lived here fed him regularly.  So we have been continuing to buy his food, feed him etc.  Anyway, the coons were getting his food, so this morning when I fed him, I checked it a couple hours later, and it was not gone.  And I banged on the part of the deck/outside wall, where I knew their nest was and there was no growling or hissing.

When we were spreading the stuff (Critter Ridder) around yesterday, at the end of the deck where the entrance was they were using to get under it, was one of the baby coons.  He would not move.  I shook my cane at him, and my friend finally nudged him with the broom.  He growled and ran away.  I do know different types of super hot peppers make up part of the stuff we used.  I can't remember what else it has in it.  But so far so good, so M, if you're having issues with a critter, i suggest going to a local farm store and finding something specifically for "critters."  I imagine stores like Lowe's etc. would have something similar.  And you can buy stuff on Amazon, but it's about 3 x more expensive than when you get it in the store.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2014, 11:54:27 am »
Thanks Betty, I'll check that critter ridder stuff out. I'm surprised that a cat and a family of raccoons would tolerate each other. I guess those masked bandits will have their way.

It's great to have another member of the Dirty Hands Club! Welcome!  ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2014, 12:00:01 pm »
Critter Ridder works well for my squirrel problem but it is a little pricey . One bottle application will do all my flower beds but only last a little over a month . I need to go get more because I am sick of finding all of my mulch kicked out of the flower beds and into my lawn .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:52 pm »
Thanks Betty, I'll check that critter ridder stuff out. I'm surprised that a cat and a family of raccoons would tolerate each other. I guess those masked bandits will have their way.

It's great to have another member of the Dirty Hands Club! Welcome!  ;D

M, the kitty stayed away when the raccoons were out.  They totally bullied him and ate his food, and that pissed me off even more.  They're awful animals, though I would not want to torture any of them. 

Jeff, I have not seen an over population of squirrels here, which is strange, especially since at my apartment, which was more urban, it seemed there was a shit ton of them.  Not sure what the difference is.

It is so humid here, it's like 80 out with 97% humidity.  It's supposed to rain and cool down into the lower 70's here.  Which is fine, I like it a bit cooler.  I don't tolerate heat well.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:16 pm »
I realize squirrels are just cute little rodents but I enjoy them.  I regularly put ears of corn out for them and they don't mess with anything so I prefer them to the nasty feral cats. 

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2014, 05:26:02 am »
I realize squirrels are just cute little rodents but I enjoy them.  I regularly put ears of corn out for them and they don't mess with anything so I prefer them to the nasty feral cats. 

Hey, hey, watch the remarks about the feral kitties lol.  Actually this kitty is beautiful, pure black, medium hair.  And he keeps away the mice.  As for squirrels...I like to watch squirrels, I can always hear them chasing each other when I hear those sharp little shrills.  The only thing is, they like to get on our bird feeder and eat the bird food.  I have noticed, though, a little metal contraption in the front yard hanging from a tree branch, which I will use for putting in corn cobs for the little varmints.

I don't like to see any animal suffer, even raccoons, however much I despise them living under my deck.  But, there are some I wish would live far, far away from me.  The feral kitty is not aggressive or dangerous.  The lady who owned the house prior to us living here is the one who got the cat dependent on being fed, watered etc.  My friend was telling someone that she and I are so codependent, we feed a cat we do not own lol.  I suppose if he (the cat) were not already dependent on being fed, we would not do it.  But how can we refuse? 

On another note, the weather was unusually cool yesterday, and is this morning.  Yesterday the high got to about 58F.  This morning it is 52F. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.