Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:00:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 206
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Acai berry and total cleanse regimen  (Read 11645 times)

Offline mauijmr

Acai berry and total cleanse regimen
« on: December 30, 2008, 06:32:04 pm »
Hi all,

Am interested in all the buzz on the net about the dual Acai & total cleanse regimen. Can't seem to find any info in regard to their uses with HIV meds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on Viramune and Truvada.
thanks and Cheers

Offline edfu

Re: Acai berry and total cleanse regimen
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 06:51:59 am »
Most of us with HIV are not particulary concerned with losing weight and cleansing our colons.  We have more important concerns, like viral load and CD4 count.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 02:02:55 pm »
Most of us with HIV are not particulary concerned with losing weight and cleansing our colons.  We have more important concerns, like viral load and CD4 count.   

Well that wasn't very welcoming, even if I understand the sentiment expressed.

mauijmr -- welcome to our forums.  I'm glad you found us.

Beware of "buzz" around any type of alternative treatment.  If it hasn't been studied in a large, controlled clinical trial, then I wouldn't try any "treatment" based solely on its "buzz."  In addition, many alternative treatments have not been studied with HIV meds to see how they interact, and some that have been studied don't interact well.  So without interaction studies, you are taking a risk.

Again, welcome to our forums!

Peter Staley
Founder & Advisory Editor
AIDSmeds.com

Offline mauijmr

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:01 pm »
WOW - a simple little question and I get a reply from a 66 yr old smart ass from New York who has no idea of my situation other than my interest of a regimen and my current treatment. Shame on you for even replying sir.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:32 am »
Hey Mauljmr,

Funny you should mention acai berries. I have some sorbet in the freezer made from them. They are tasty.

All of the research I have seen seems to indicate the berries are full of antioxidants. That would fit, since they are a rich purple in color.

But I can't find any indication anywhere that these berries, or the capsule forms of the berries, do or don't mix well with HIV meds.

I would probably be cautious doing any colon cleansing, etc., with these berries - or in general. I remember people doing cleansings as a part of Chinese herbal medicine prior to the advent of the triple drug cocktail. From what I remember, these cleansings didn't seem to help.

I think, were I you, I would ask my doctor before I attempted anything like that.

Also, which there is no indication acai berries are harmful, taking supplements made from them may be a different story.

That is true of garlic, for instance. OK to eat in food, but not OK to take the supplements.

I am a firm believer in using complementary therapies in conjunction with my antiretroviral therapy. I always make sure the doctor is aware of what I take, though.

If you learn more about the acai berries, perhaps you would share it with us?

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:53:28 pm »
WOW - a simple little question and I get a reply from a 66 yr old smart ass from New York who has no idea of my situation other than my interest of a regimen and my current treatment. Shame on you for even replying sir.

Mauljmr -- I'm one of the moderators here.  We don't use language like "smart ass" against other members.  If someone here offends you in the future, please use the "Report to Moderator" link under each message, and we'll take it from there.

You'll learn the ropes here soon enough.  You should read our posting guidelines listed in the Welcome threads of each forum.

Peter

Offline dallas2009

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 12:27:52 am »
I am having questions on the same line as yours. I am also on the same medications for my HIV but worry about the toxicity it does to the rest of the body (liver/kidneys).  I just posted a question on another form looking for a nutritionist here in Dallas to go to with these same sort of questions.  I think feeling better and living a healthier life is important. Take care and I hope you find the answers you are looking for. :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.