Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:21:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 615
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smoking cannabis every day  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Delby

Smoking cannabis every day
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:14:10 am »
Hi All

It's been a while since i've posted. I'm keeping ok and still check in to the forums every week. Thanks to all those that keep this forum alive..it's still so important to us all, even if we don't post as much. Thanks to Jim in particular and all the others.

So I wanted to discuss the use of cannabis. I've used cannabis since the age of 14 and quite frankly...I love it! I've had many breaks and especially when I was diagnosed as +. My head couldn't deal with it at the time. However, I am now smoking circa 1-2 spliffs a night and with tobacco. Why? Because I suffer from terrible insomnia and it's the only thing that helps. Plus it helps ease the symptoms of colitis which are extremely hard to live with. I also feels it helps with my mood.

I am not concerned about consuming cannabis, but rather the use of tobacco. I can't smoke it pure and nor do i like vaping it. My question is this: Whilst I appreciate no one has a crystal ball, how terrible is it to have 1-2 spliffs a day with regards to the dangers of smoking. We are told continually that smoking is the worst thing you can do when HIV +. But does that mean 10/15/20 per day, rather than 1 spliff that doesn't even use the equivalent of 1 cigarettes worth of tobacco. Plus the studies that indicate that HIV smokers lose 12 yrs of life by smoking, it may be other enviromental factors that feed into that data such as drugs, poor diet choices etc.

I go to the gym 4 times a week and keep active.

What are your thoughts?

Delby x  :D

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Smoking cannabis every day
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 08:05:28 pm »

If you are worrying about what weed will do to you then you are not smoking enough. ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 08:51:38 pm »
Hi Delby

My daughter smokes about 2 a day, and has done since she was 16, she is now 48, she works full time, has brought up two great boys, and has never been in hospital, except as a child when she had her tonsils remove. The worst illness she has ever suffered is a sore throat, a bout of flu and a bad head cold..seriously that girl is as health as a Mally bull. I have no worries about her smoking at all. Don't sweat it just enjoy life. This is just my take on it others may of course differ.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 06:17:06 pm »
Crazy thought.  Given the inflammatory effects of smoking anything, would it be better to make edibles?  Same effect easier on the lungs?
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20
12AUG19, cd4 304, VC 51
30DEC19, cd4 385, VC <20

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 06:36:01 pm »
What do you hope to gain by seeking external validation for habitual drug taking?

Offline Delby

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 09:03:05 am »
What do you hope to gain by seeking external validation for habitual drug taking?

I'm sorry, but you have misread my original post. I am not seeking validation for consuming cannabis. I do not require external validation as I am more than comfortable consuming a plant which has many medicinal benefits. I can conclude this statement as a long term user of cannabis, rather than someone or an organisation whom may have a commercial agenda.

Back to my OP. I wasn't asking for yours or anyone else's validation of cannabis consumption, but rather I was asking for people's opinion on the use of tobacco when consuming via spliffs. I apologise if that wasn't clear in my OP, although it clearly is. My concern is not around the consumption of cannabis as I can testify unequivocally that it improves the quality of my life. I am extremely active, run my own successful business and have a family to look after. However, I wanted to know if the intake of one-two cigarrettes worth of tobacco per day will have a serious detrimental impact to ones health. I appreciate it won't benefit my health, but are the studies on tobacco use amongst HIV + patients, relating to heavy tobacco users or does it also include those such as myself?

Delby

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 09:30:50 am »

If you are worrying about what weed will do to you then you are not smoking enough. ;)

I would agree with the above comment, if you're concerned prehaps try consuming the weed differently see how that works.

Smoking tobacco is bad, regardless of HIV status or other factors it's a killer. Prehaps smoking only a little bit is less bad but I honestly don't think any levels of smoking tobacco can be classed as safe or healthy

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:33:23 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.