Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:52:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773214
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 466
Total: 469

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ranting about work.  (Read 3846 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Ranting about work.
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:49 pm »
I hate it. I hate it I hate it I hate it.

I want to quit so badly. I know I'm lucky to have a job at all at my age when it's getting increasingly difficult for someone under the age of 18 with no prior work experience (that's not under the table) to find anything, but my job is getting so intolerable that I don't know how much longer I can take it. I am going out to fill out applications *~tomorrow~* everywhere I can find.

The only thing I really care about at this point is maintaining a good enough relationship with them so that I can perhaps get a reference from it. That's all. But it seems as though they think I'm the most incompetent, stupid person that's ever walked the planet because I'm not capable of doing things that they hadn't trained me to do.

Of course I didn't know how to fill out dog logs the first time I sold a dog, of course I didn't know I had to give out a permit when I sold a ferret - you were standing right over my shoulder when I didn't, why didn't you tell me? I have never sold a ferret before. This isn't something that I'd KNOW off the top of my head.

I'm tired of being put down, I'm tired of being teased, I'm tired of hearing snide remarks slipped in because they know I'm gay, I'm tired of arguing with them about animal care because they are so brainwashed by the company that they don't realize half the shit they suggest to customers is WRONG and potentially life threatening to the animal.

I hate the job. I hate them. I shouldn't feel like crying while I'm at work. It's that bad.

UGH.

Offline mjmel

Re: Ranting about work.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:19:57 pm »
Sorry that it is going so rough for you, Jaser. Many workplaces are like that; some are not. Change the faces and the setting but people still make you want to scream with frustration and, well, some are just assholes for the duration of their careers.
One day you'll be in the position of training someone. Remember this experience and you always do a perfect job with a trainee. So you see, you can draw a lesson even from this retarded situtation.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 05:29:55 pm by mjmel »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:31:15 pm »
Hey Mouse,

I am sorry you are hating your job. Just remember it's a job and when you are done with college you can develop a career; something you love doing and is your passion.  I suffered through many horrid jobs while going through college, which is why I will rarely set foot in a shopping mall. (and the fact that I hate Christmas because of it).

When you start school, you might want to check if there are any campus jobs, especially designed for students. I did a few, mostly being a grad assistant and such. There are always campus bookstores and coffee houses.

hey you tried with this one, but maybe its time to say goodbye

SHAAARKIE

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:27:07 pm »
There's a down side to nearly every job (unless you are the only employee and your own boss) but having worked in retail for 20 years, starting at age 12, I can say with confidence that when you work in a mall you're very likely to meet and have to interact with assholes many times per day.

I do recommend that you leave making as few waves as possible, because even if you don't want to put the job on your resume, you can't hide it.

Once you're away and gainfully employed elsewhere, write a detailed letter to the corporate office about the harmful advice you were told to give.  And tell them you would like to explore opportunities at the corporate level, because your love of animals can help the company provide ideal and well-suited pets for the public that shops in their markets.

Corporate America sucks until they adore you.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:42:40 pm »
It doesn't get any better.  Sorry.

Oh sure, there'll be a few times in your life when it all seems to come together, but as soon as they realize you've got a good thing going on, they'll be sure to fuck it up for you.  The beatings will continue until morale improves. 

ps -- You know that Social Security tax they take from your check every week?  Don't expect to ever see it again.
It's a complex world

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:53:10 pm »
Hey Mouse

What are your career goals anyways? Were you considering teaching or something like that?

just curious,
Hugs,
Sharkie
(who taught in the public schools for 8 years and that was enough)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:19:28 pm by sharkdiver »

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:19 pm »
Hi Mouse,
This is called a learning curve - trouble is it is more of a cliff face than a curve - We have all been through this sort of thing when we first started work - It gets better - the trick is to learn from the mistakes that others make so you don't have to learn from your mistakes.
Hang in there Jase and try  to keep the upper hand and don't let them bluff you into thinking that they are smarter than you, because I don't think they are.

Chin up and keep fighting - we're all behind you - and don't forget, if they give you too much aggravation they will have to answer to us!!!

Regards

Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 10:29:21 pm »
Sorry things aren't going so well with your co-workers, honey.  It happens.   I say learn to master that "one eyebrow up evil-eyed look", that conveys to them "you are an idiot and not fit to lick the bottom of my shoes" or something like that  ;)

Seriously, you know this is just a stepping stone...always keep the big picture in mind.   It's hard to do, but we all have to sometimes, or else we'd be crazy.

Some good advice has been given: learn from the mistakes of others, then you won't make the same mistakes (on this or on future jobs).

You have to issue a permit when someone buys a ferret?  I would have screwed up on that one myself, because I've never heard that or read it anywhere.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Roie

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 03:01:25 am »
Mouse, just LEAVE.
No point what so ever to be unhappy and almost in tears there all the time.

You will find something else. There is no doubt about that.

Roei.
Cruise on down the High Way

"When people who are not ready jump in, things can go horribly wrong. For most of us, there is always time to take a deep breath, consider one's options and make a careful, sound decision based on clinical fact, not emotion."
MtD

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 06:09:33 am »
Hi Mouse,

sorry things are so rough for you. I have been in similar situations before, even left work crying. I think what you might try as a last resort is talk to the boss and if thats not possible to any coworker who you can relate to relatively better than the others, and just in a very direct way list the problems: you dont have guidelines on doing certain things, you need to be informed etc, but without anger or complaint (although they are a-holes and its very tempting). Just keep it really practical: you want to do the job and do it well and you feel that you can't if you don't know everything that you should be doing so you wanna learn all the procedures.

I hope that if you make it really sincere and to the point that they wont be able to humiliate you anymore, sometimes people are so used to being stepped on that they step on others without real intent (if it doesn't help then forget it, they are just cruel). Remember you are worth something to them as an employee, otherwise they wouldnt have taken you. Again I know some people are hopeless, please don't get this as a shift of the responsibility to you or something like that, just looking at what might be done to make things a little easier. sometimes you change just one thing and things improve. i was working once in a warehouse where i was treated like shit and even sexually harassed and i'd leave in tears, then somehow things changed when i learned to stand my ground and do the job well and towards the end they were asking me to stay and gave me a party and everything, which i could have never imagined when i cried myself off to sleep many nights during the first months (i couldnt leave the job).

About the animal care, I understand how infuriating it is, I guess you can always give the official line to the customers and then add that in your experience it's better to do it a little differently, at least in some cases when your boss isnt eavesdropping?

besides all that of course you can always look for something better, this is temporary anyway.

good luck and remember that mean people are not that happy...
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 06:16:16 am »
This:

It doesn't get any better.  Sorry.

Oh sure, there'll be a few times in your life when it all seems to come together, but as soon as they realize you've got a good thing going on, they'll be sure to fuck it up for you.  The beatings will continue until morale improves.

ps -- You know that Social Security tax they take from your check every week?  Don't expect to ever see it again.

. . . is not true and it's an awful thing to tell a kid.

Smaller One,

Pay no attention to people who would give you such advice. You are gifted, talented and preternaturally mature and you will go on to many fabulous jobs in your life in wonderful parts of the world.

At the moment you're a 17 year old kid doing a crap retail job to earn a bit of money before you go off to university. Those sorts of jobs are shite, but they're transient. They're a means to an end.

Those dickheads at the pet shop who are teasing you and bossing you round will be doing the same shitty jobs 20 years after they're dead.

Meanwhile you'll be an award winning novelist living on the Left Bank or the Inaugural Sam Harris Fellow at the Australian National University or something even more wonderful.

Your Larger One has no doubt about these things and, as you know, he never ever bullshits to a Little Man. :-*

MtD

Offline scud44

• I am watching you
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 06:33:39 am »
Hear hear!!!!

What Matty said..........!!!!

regards
Scuddles
CD4 = 110 - 30 July 2007 - 10%
VL = 139000 - 30 July 2007
CD4 = 252 - 6th August 2007
VL = 16400 - 23rd August 2007
CD4 = 240 - 23rd August 2007
VL = 400 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 96 - 4th Sept 2007
CD4 = 120 18th Sept 2007
VL = 386000 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 160 19th Nov 2007
CD4 = 110 10th Jan 2008
CD4 = 311 29th Jan 2008
VL = <50 29th Jan 2008
CD4 = 148 2nd April 2008
VL = 110,000 2nd April 2008
June 2010 and nothing has improved

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:06:17 am »
Hear hear!!!!

What Matty said..........!!!!

regards
Scuddles

I must agree with our Beloved Damned One.  I probably wouldn't be here today if I believed "it doesn't get any better" That is just crap.
You are meant for greatness Mouse.

Sharkie
(who has and continues to create a fabulous career)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 11:02:49 am »
Damn. I love you guys.

I feel ridiculously better. I'm going in to work in an hour and I feel kinda optimistic about it.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:56:37 pm »
Most of us have been there.  Good luck in finding something better soon.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 06:54:59 pm »
Keep up your good attitude, sweetie.  You're definitely a winner.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.