Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 373
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does Lexapro work?  (Read 46443 times)

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
Does Lexapro work?
« on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:21 pm »
So I've been a little stressed and depressed. Okay maybe really stressed and depressed.
Anyway, I'm starting therapy at the Gay Men's Health Center on Monday which I'm looking forward to.

I start school in 2 weeks and considered starting Lexapro soon but I'm worried about the potential side effects.
I feel the doc was really trying to push me to go on antidepressants to "take the edge off"...I told her I wanted to think about it.

Who has had positive results on Lexapro specifically? 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 02:39:12 am by shadowfluid »
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Medicated
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 09:32:24 pm »
Shadow, I support your questioning this and wonder if perhaps some more conversation would be in order before moving ahead.

Take "what edge" off and if there's such an "edge," whatever that means, maybe it's there for good reasons and THAT'S what should be explored rather than simply adding on another pharmaceutical.

Good luck with your session at GMHC.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline JamieD

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 11:48:14 pm »
Um. I know a tonne of strict Catholics, and I have never heard anyone fearing drugs that affect brain chemistry. Maybe you could clarify for me, because that's just plain bizarre.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 11:54:10 pm »
i'm not getting the catholic brain drug thingy either.  and for myself, i think the line between drugs for the body and drugs for the brain is drawn with a bullshit pen.

the brain IS a part of the body, and as such is just as subject to imbalances and maladies as any other limb or organ. 

if anything, when it comes to things fucking up the brain, i think religions might only be jealous of having competition.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 11:56:10 pm »
I'm come from a very strict Catholic upbringing so I'm very scared of drugs for the brain.

Matty the Damned was brought in a painfully strict catholic environment and far from having a problem with drugs for the brain, he remembers Catholics being all for them. I mean at Mass every Sunday morning, the priest knocked back a cup full of wine.

MtD

Offline JamieD

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:00:11 am »
I mean at Mass every Sunday morning, the priest knocked back a cup full of wine.

MtD

;D rofl. For some reason I knew you were going to say that.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:01:47 am »
And Shadow, if your strict catholic upbringing prevents you from taking "brain medicines" how come it didn't stop you from having teh buttsex?

MtD

Offline JamieD

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:32 am »
And Shadow, if your strict catholic upbringing prevents you from taking "brain medicines" how come it didn't stop you from having teh buttsex?

MtD

He got it from an immaculate conception.  :P

Lemme stop. Sorry for the joke ShadowFluid.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 01:42:57 am »
 My point was that THE WAY I was raised [which includes religion(italian/mexican double whammy catholic) and everything else] to be afraid of drugs. All drugs. Plus my doc said men are more likely to refuse psychiatric meds than women.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:54:53 am by shadowfluid »
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 01:46:55 am »
i'm not getting the catholic brain drug thingy either.  and for myself, i think the line between drugs for the body and drugs for the brain is drawn with a bullshit pen.

the brain IS a part of the body, and as such is just as subject to imbalances and maladies as any other limb or organ. 

if anything, when it comes to things fucking up the brain, i think religions might only be jealous of having competition.

I'm all for CBT as opposed to just drugs...they can complement therapy. That's why I'm considering them.  I just want to know if they worked for anyone on them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 01:53:39 am by shadowfluid »
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 01:47:57 am »

MtD
This is a pointless question. Sorry if I don't feel like answering.
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 01:49:24 am »
Shadow, I support your questioning this and wonder if perhaps some more conversation would be in order before moving ahead.

Take "what edge" off and if there's such an "edge," whatever that means, maybe it's there for good reasons and THAT'S what should be explored rather than simply adding on another pharmaceutical.

Good luck with your session at GMHC.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Cheers,

Thanks a lot Andy. I'll keep ya posted. ;)
March 11     756

Offline JamieD

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 01:57:00 am »
I'm all for CBT as opposed to just drugs...they can complement therapy. That's why I'm considering them.  I just want to know if they worked for anyone on them.

Oh, I think I get what you are saying. It's a cultural thing that you're against taking drugs, yes? I know of not a single Catholic teaching that teaches any anti-pharmaceutical sentiments with the exception of birth control and abortion pills.

You didn't answer my statement about getting HIV from an immaculate conception. :(

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 02:04:44 am »
Oh, I think I get what you are saying. It's a cultural thing that you're against taking drugs, yes? I know of not a single Catholic teaching that teaches any anti-pharmaceutical sentiments with the exception of birth control and abortion pills.

You didn't answer my statement about getting HIV from an immaculate conception. :(

I posted this to do a survey on how many people are on lexapro/celexa. Not to talk about me growing up catholic and having strict parents. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I really don't feel like responding to anything you are writing.
March 11     756

Offline JamieD

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:09:07 am »
I've taken Lexapro and Celexa. They are two different drugs.
I took them for OCD. They were both modestly effective with the Lexapro being slightly more effective then the Celexa and having less side effects as well.

If you didn't want to talk about growing up Catholic then you shouldn't have said anything about it, especially since religion plays no role in the efficacy of psychotropic drugs.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 02:18:53 am »
Mental Health Forum
Did you read that?
I've taken Lexapro and Celexa. They are two different drugs.
I took them for OCD. They were both modestly effective with the Lexapro being slightly more effective then the Celexa and having less side effects as well.

If you didn't want to talk about growing up Catholic then you shouldn't have said anything about it, especially since religion plays no role in the efficacy of psychotropic drugs.

Oh really? Listen, I'm not going to argue with you.  Just remember I'll post an entry on any topic I feel like and word it anyway I choose. You are free to disagree. Just don't be as extreme to point out what I should or shouldn't say.
March 11     756

Offline JamieD

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 02:27:32 am »
Maybe you're dim or something.

Why would you even bring something up that you don't want people to discuss?

Hey everyone, I bought a new blouse. Please don't ask me where I got it from, I don't want to talk about it.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 02:32:15 am »

Hey everyone, I bought a new blouse. Please don't ask me where I got it from, I don't want to talk about it.

You just obviously want the last words. I win!

March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 02:32:47 am »

Hey ever
yone, I bought a new blouse. Please don't ask me where I got it from, I don't want to talk about it.
March 11     756

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: Does Lexapro work?
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 02:48:01 am »
This is a pointless question. Sorry if I don't feel like answering.

It's cool Shadow. Matty the Damned didn't mean to be disrespectful.

Best wishes,

MtD

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 03:47:31 am »

i didn't bring up religion...I brought up antidepressants...see I even re-edited my entry for you so you can view the main topic of the entry more easily.  I do believe religion and my upbringing affect the choices i've made as an adult...amongst other things.  I never said my upbringing has anything thing to do with "efficacy" of drugs.  I'm talking about my fear of drugs and that I'M CAUTIOUS.
Duh I do not follow catholicism or any organized religion these days...thanks for inquiring and have a lovely night!
March 11     756

Offline dixieman

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 05:44:32 pm »
Well I dont know what to tell you... but, I've sampled many drugs and have enjoyed their use... by the way my Dad was Catholic... I'm baptist but, I use to go to Temple with a friend while my mom's people were Church of God... speaking in the tongue... I do have to admit the church of God... knew how to have a great sound with all their major sound system and rock band... mmmmmmmmm just maybe with all this going on in my life is what made drugs benefit me in life... if medical drugs help... its a tool to be used!

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 07:47:17 am »
I take lexapro.  I have taken on and off for quite awhile.  I think it works great for my depression and helps things that bother me kinda roll off.  Prime example my condo flooded just a week ago from my washing machine.  I came home took off my shoes and socks and stood in the middle of water and laughed.  Yes, if I would have been off my lexapro at that moment I would have cried and been in such a state of despair that I would not have been of sound mind to call the insurance company to send someone out to clean it up.  So yes it works quite well for me.
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2007, 09:23:44 am »
Shadow,

Here's an Article that you may find informative :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/HQ01069

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2007, 06:34:50 pm »
Shadow,

Here's an Article that you may find informative :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antidepressants/HQ01069

Ray

I take lexapro.  I have taken on and off for quite awhile.  I think it works great for my depression and helps things that bother me kinda roll off.  Prime example my condo flooded just a week ago from my washing machine.  I came home took off my shoes and socks and stood in the middle of water and laughed.  Yes, if I would have been off my lexapro at that moment I would have cried and been in such a state of despair that I would not have been of sound mind to call the insurance company to send someone out to clean it up.  So yes it works quite well for me.

Thanks for responding. My university doesn't carry Lexapro, but I'm going to start Celexa tonight. Ecck I don't know why I'm so nervous. I'm glad it worked for you :)
March 11     756

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 07:20:49 pm »
Shadow, I hear ya.  I just wish I had more to contribute.  But my experience with this ends with Wellbutrin (which did wonders for me).  Best of luck with the therapy and/or the prescriptions if you do choose to go that route. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 06:14:11 pm »
I am on it, more for anxiety then depression, but it took the edge off definitely.

I don't feel any different - the only thing is I don't get as "horny" as I did in the past which is not entirely a bad thing.

If you don't like it or feel you don't need it you can just ask to stop. 

WARNING - DONT STOP SUDDENLY AFTER TAKING IT FOR A LONG PERIOD OF TIME

You will be weened off to controll your brain chemistry returning to previous levels.  By just stopping, you run the risk of having a hard crash back into depression.  not pretty.

Feel free to private message me to talk about it if you don't want to discuss all your issues on the public board.

Pete

Offline cokaine

• I AM THE ORIGINAL DIVA, okaaayy
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 05:21:35 pm »
It gave me huge headaches after 4 days of using it, I had to quit.

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 02:51:36 am »
I take Lexapro. The only side effect I hate is it kills my sex drive. I find though if I miss meds for a few days my sex drive is back. Lexapro also makes me sleepy which isn't such a bad thing for me because I don't sleep well. Everyone is different. For me I need an antideprresent right now. I also exercise which helps but for now isn't enough.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 06:21:56 pm »
I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now, and like DCGuy's experience, the sexual side-effects have been rather onerous, and definitely complete.    :'(    In my case, however, it acts more like a stimulant, rather than making me sleepy.

Lexapro has certainly helped my symptoms of depression.  But since I'm not willing to give up sex and become celibate, I'm going to be working with my doctor to try to find something else.  At the same time, I am continuing therapy, having dumped my previous therapist 2 months ago, and started seeing a new therapist a 2 weeks ago.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline edfu

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 07:14:57 pm »
"The difference between Celexa and Lexapro is millimeters," says Harvard psychiatrist William Appleton, author of Prozac and the New Antidepressants. "Lexapro is a way to extend the patent."

If you want to believe that Celexa and Lexapro are different drugs, go ahead.  I do not.  The difference in the chemical formulas for each is one molecule.  Forest Laboratories, the manufacturer of both, was losing its patent for Celexa, which is now available generically as citalopram for considerably less money.  By changing one molecule, Forest was able to obtain a new patent from the FDA for Lexapro, keeping that money rolling in.
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 09:39:16 pm »
"The difference between Celexa and Lexapro is millimeters," says Harvard psychiatrist William Appleton, author of Prozac and the New Antidepressants. "Lexapro is a way to extend the patent."

If you want to believe that Celexa and Lexapro are different drugs, go ahead.  I do not.  The difference in the chemical formulas for each is one molecule.  Forest Laboratories, the manufacturer of both, was losing its patent for Celexa, which is now available generically as citalopram for considerably less money.  By changing one molecule, Forest was able to obtain a new patent from the FDA for Lexapro, keeping that money rolling in.

I'm taking Celexa.   This post was written before seeing the psych at school.  I assumed my psych would prescribe me Lexapro at first but the university can't afford it. 
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 09:41:08 pm »
I've been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now, and like DCGuy's experience, the sexual side-effects have been rather onerous, and definitely complete.    :'(    In my case, however, it acts more like a stimulant, rather than making me sleepy.

Lexapro has certainly helped my symptoms of depression.  But since I'm not willing to give up sex and become celibate, I'm going to be working with my doctor to try to find something else.  At the same time, I am continuing therapy, having dumped my previous therapist 2 months ago, and started seeing a new therapist a 2 weeks ago.

Regards,

Henry

It makes me really notice my heartbeat and also makes me feel wired and out of it.  I'm hoping these side effects lessen in time.  I'm taking Klonopin to help with it but i hate that drug...makes me want to sleep even with the smallest dose possible.
March 11     756

Offline edfu

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2007, 10:22:54 pm »
Mike,

My post about the infinitesimal difference between Celexa and Lexapro wasn't directed at you.  It was directed at the poster, now temporarily banned and who thinks he knows everything, who claimed these are "two different drugs." 

Lexapro is indeed very expensive.  That's the point of my post.  Technically, I'm sure you're not taking Celexa but rather its generic version, citalopram, which, like all generic drugs, is much less expensive and more likely to be provided by your university.

I hope your side effects diminish.  Everyone reacts to drugs differently, but you do have to give each a little time before deciding the side effects are unbearable.  I have been on both citalopram and Klonopin (rather, its generic version, clonazepam) for several years now and have not had any side effects--but that's just me.  (On the other hand, I was first prescribed Zoloft, and after trying it two different times, I had to stop because it was causing extreme and painful diarrhea.  Go figure.)

Good luck.  I hope you feel better soon.  And don't despair if you ultimately have to try something different; this is common when trying to find the right antidepressive and anti-anxiety drugs for you.   

P.S.  I, too, was raised in a strict Catholic family and even spent years in the seminary.  There is absolutely no reason to feel guilty about needing medicine for your brain, and there is nothing in Catholic teaching that says it is in any way forbidden.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2007, 04:32:14 am »
Mike,

My post about the infinitesimal difference between Celexa and Lexapro wasn't directed at you.  It was directed at the poster, now temporarily banned and who thinks he knows everything, who claimed these are "two different drugs." 

Lexapro is indeed very expensive.  That's the point of my post.  Technically, I'm sure you're not taking Celexa but rather its generic version, citalopram, which, like all generic drugs, is much less expensive and more likely to be provided by your university.

I hope your side effects diminish.  Everyone reacts to drugs differently, but you do have to give each a little time before deciding the side effects are unbearable.  I have been on both citalopram and Klonopin (rather, its generic version, clonazepam) for several years now and have not had any side effects--but that's just me.  (On the other hand, I was first prescribed Zoloft, and after trying it two different times, I had to stop because it was causing extreme and painful diarrhea.  Go figure.)

Good luck.  I hope you feel better soon.  And don't despair if you ultimately have to try something different; this is common when trying to find the right antidepressive and anti-anxiety drugs for you.   

P.S.  I, too, was raised in a strict Catholic family and even spent years in the seminary.  There is absolutely no reason to feel guilty about needing medicine for your brain, and there is nothing in Catholic teaching that says it is in any way forbidden.     

I should have never even brought up my catholic upbringing...my whole family is completely afraid of addiction...we all don't even really drink.  Well I do, cuz I'm the gay.
I've been on benzos for 3 months so of course I'm freaking out and i google forums on the issue and the people in other mental health forums around the web I can't really relate to....
   I'm pretty much out of it....celexa makes me overly wired...klonopin makes me overly tired...I even half the dose and I'm a zombie all day.  The psych says she would rather have me on those than xanax.  I prefer xanax but she says that's the one to be afraid of. Ugh!  The celexa side effects are completely mild. And I'm glad.  I'm just hoping it won't raise my anxiety.  So far so good. I heard it can even kick it as early as week.  Thank you for wishing me luck!  I'm only depressed in the summer time from lack of stuff to do...but this has amplified it even more.  Hopefully I'll snap out of it with the help of therapy and be back to my normal self.  I know these things take time. 

(side rant:  And what's up with the no alcohol thing on SSRI's??? Not even a glass of wine...hmmm Riesling...yum)
March 11     756

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 09:19:20 pm »
I take celexa (citalopram), 60 mg/day. This is the maximum dose prescribed. I am bipolar and depression was severe after my diagnosis last year, to the point I went on disability and lost my job. I was put on 20mg celexa initially, but it wasn't enough. After it was upped to 60mg, I was fine again. The med works really well. I am working again since april. I tried to go down to 40mg under my doctor's supervision. After 1 month, I became depressed and had very low energy again. So I am back on 60 mg now.

My sex drive is as high as it's always been. I am very horny, as much as I can ever remember. But I take a very long time to cum, 30 to 60 mins. My bf is not really happy about that, he wants it over much quicker :(. Oh, and it won't recharge for about 12 hours, then it is back like clockwork.

Offline CowboyPOZ

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2007, 02:18:08 am »
Lexapro 20MG for two years now. It works and keeps me level unless there is some traumatic life event like a family death. If you start this medication you HAVE TO ADHIRE TO THE DIRECTIONS! Your doctor must monitor you if they change the dose. I have tried to stop taking the drug 2 times and I get really dizzy if I stop taking the medication. The 3rd day is the worst. By the 3rd night I am so dizzy I can get sick to my stomach. It changes the chemical makeup in your brain so you can't just take away the added element and not have a side effect. My doc told me to stop taking myself off the med because he was affraid I was going to cause myself to have a seizure.
Just be careful

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 03:06:20 am »
I finally stopped Lexapro it totally killed my sex drive.

Offline bobino

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2007, 12:45:36 am »
For what it's worth, I've been on both Lexapro and Celexa (citalopram) and my experience with each was about the same.  I was on a low dose of both drugs, 10 mg of Lexapro and 20 mg of citalopram, which is apparently the same as 10 mg of Lexapro.  Both helped me deal with the anxiety I felt, and both had some sexual side effects.  I didn't really get ED so much as "anorgasmia," a condition I'd never heard of before.  I've just gone off the stuff and may start Wellbutrin.  I'm already taking a shitload of trazodone, which is great for sleep but only moderately effective against anxiety.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about taking Xanax (alprozalam).  I take 0.5 mg every night at bedtime, and I'm no worse for wear.  I know lots of people fear "addiction" with Xanax, but for me, that's never been an issue.  My psychopharmacologist explained to me that it's not like heroin or other street drugs, where you need to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect.  I've been taking 0.5 mg for years now, and it still works just fine.  If Klonopin makes you feel stoned, then give Xanax a try.  I've also taken it during the day and I function very well, so you shouldn't be unable to work or study.

So that's my $0.02.

John
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 12:51:42 am by bobino »
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline LovingMom

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:33 pm »
Hi, Mike.  Yes, Lexapro does work, but probably not exactly the same for everyone.  It is a newer antidep., and has very few side effects.  It does indeed take the "edge" off -- and that means all the sharp edges of depression, sadness and anxiety.  It often makes you feel crummy right in the beginning as your body is getting used to it, but then it truly does help.  I used it, and found after a while, I didn't need as much, then less, then none, but there is a place for these meds.  We don't ignore pain in our bodies without getting help, do we?  Our minds and bodies are one, so help the parts that hurt, and the rest gets better, too.  Yes, there can be some side effects -- lowered libido for one, but that usually disappears in a bit, also.  I had some weight gain, but not a bunch.  The part I finally did not like was what I call the "flatness."  I grew a little apathetic, and I objected to that.  However, interestingly enough, I think that started to surface as I was needing less of it anyway.  So if your doc recommends it, you might want to consider it.  I know others on it (my son), and he does very well with it. (Oh, and if you decide to give it a go, take it every single day at a regular time -- it makes you feel like crap if you miss doses.)   Good luck!

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 02:22:55 am »
Lexapro was good for me except for sexual side effects. Xanax I will never take again. But as we can see here everyone has different experiences with meds. I guess that is why there are different antidepressants and antianxiety meds out here. If one doesn't work hopefully a different one will. Only way to know is to try an antidepressant to see which ones work the best. Hopefully you can find a good Doctor that will guide you through all of this.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 03:29:25 am »
Lexapro was good for me except for sexual side effects. Xanax I will never take again. But as we can see here everyone has different experiences with meds. I guess that is why there are different antidepressants and antianxiety meds out here. If one doesn't work hopefully a different one will. Only way to know is to try an antidepressant to see which ones work the best. Hopefully you can find a good Doctor that will guide you through all of this.

Really? Xanax is the perfect drug for me!
I'm going to try Remeron in a few weeks.  I'm very sensitive to Benadryl and I heard it affects a similar receptor in the brain.
hopefully I'm not asleep for a week! =/   Ecccccck!
I switched psychs at my university...and the new one is way more compassionate and willing to work with me as opposed to my last authoritarian one. :)
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 03:30:24 am »
Hi, Mike.  Yes, Lexapro does work, but probably not exactly the same for everyone.  It is a newer antidep., and has very few side effects.  It does indeed take the "edge" off -- and that means all the sharp edges of depression, sadness and anxiety.  It often makes you feel crummy right in the beginning as your body is getting used to it, but then it truly does help.  I used it, and found after a while, I didn't need as much, then less, then none, but there is a place for these meds.  We don't ignore pain in our bodies without getting help, do we?  Our minds and bodies are one, so help the parts that hurt, and the rest gets better, too.  Yes, there can be some side effects -- lowered libido for one, but that usually disappears in a bit, also.  I had some weight gain, but not a bunch.  The part I finally did not like was what I call the "flatness."  I grew a little apathetic, and I objected to that.  However, interestingly enough, I think that started to surface as I was needing less of it anyway.  So if your doc recommends it, you might want to consider it.  I know others on it (my son), and he does very well with it. (Oh, and if you decide to give it a go, take it every single day at a regular time -- it makes you feel like crap if you miss doses.)   Good luck!

Hey mom....I think the SSRI's are not for me...gonna keep trying other things! Thanks a lot for your kind words. :) mike
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 03:31:42 am »
Shadow, I hear ya.  I just wish I had more to contribute.  But my experience with this ends with Wellbutrin (which did wonders for me).  Best of luck with the therapy and/or the prescriptions if you do choose to go that route. 

Thanks for scaring the buhjesus out of me with that PM of yours! Hope you're feeling better and not crying at O.B. commercials anymore. :)
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 03:34:23 am »
For what it's worth, I've been on both Lexapro and Celexa (citalopram) and my experience with each was about the same.  I was on a low dose of both drugs, 10 mg of Lexapro and 20 mg of citalopram, which is apparently the same as 10 mg of Lexapro.  Both helped me deal with the anxiety I felt, and both had some sexual side effects.  I didn't really get ED so much as "anorgasmia," a condition I'd never heard of before.  I've just gone off the stuff and may start Wellbutrin.  I'm already taking a shitload of trazodone, which is great for sleep but only moderately effective against anxiety.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about taking Xanax (alprozalam).  I take 0.5 mg every night at bedtime, and I'm no worse for wear.  I know lots of people fear "addiction" with Xanax, but for me, that's never been an issue.  My psychopharmacologist explained to me that it's not like heroin or other street drugs, where you need to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect.  I've been taking 0.5 mg for years now, and it still works just fine.  If Klonopin makes you feel stoned, then give Xanax a try.  I've also taken it during the day and I function very well, so you shouldn't be unable to work or study.

So that's my $0.02.

John

I take klonopin, xanax, and restoril each once a week. So i'm not worried and rarely take over .25 or .5 of xanax or klonopin. My anxiety has subsided on it's own thank god.  I'm wondering if Trazodone will help my depression. I heard it's pretty softcore and only prescribed to aid the insomnia side effect of the SSRI's.  Thanks for your 2 cents! :)  This depression has zapped my motivation to respond to comments on here. I'm not a jerk I swear! :)
March 11     756

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2007, 10:53:25 am »
Really? Xanax is the perfect drug for me!
I'm going to try Remeron in a few weeks.  I'm very sensitive to Benadryl and I heard it affects a similar receptor in the brain.
hopefully I'm not asleep for a week! =/   Ecccccck!
I switched psychs at my university...and the new one is way more compassionate and willing to work with me as opposed to my last authoritarian one. :)

I really liked Remeron, but a word of caution -- you WILL gain weight on this.  It slows your metabolism down or something, and makes you really crave starches.  That's a big reason a lot of folks do not go on it, or do not stay on it.  I was put on it in the depths of a wasting period so I was rather thankful for this secondary side effect.  It also greatly aids one in sleeping, though you don't feel particularly groggy in the day time as you take this an hour before bed time.

However, if you can control the food cravings cognitively you might find the med helpful.  Good luck.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2007, 03:26:40 pm »
I really don't mind eating a bag of sugar everyday.
My metabolism is insanely high so I think a little weight on my 5'5" 119lb frame will look good.  Unless it's over 15 lbs then my dance career is ovuh!
We'll....one of the SSRI's made me soo agitated that I think I can never go on any of them.
So I think i will already run out of options if this one doesn't work...unless Trazodone can help with depression? I heard it's pretty weak when it comes to depression.  The next drug mentioned is Effexor but I heard the withdrawals are awful. Like the worst on ANY drug EVER.

I wish they made tianeptine in the US.  I heard it's the wonder anti-d.
March 11     756

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2007, 03:33:50 pm »
I hate SSRI's too, so I feel your pain.  Remeron will NOT make you feel anything like that if your experience ends up like mine.

Effexor prevented me from having orgasms, which frankly makes me MORE depressed, not less! :)  Also, as I was on Kaletra at the time we thought it was aggravating my pre-existing diarrhea issues.  I didn't have withdrawl problems though, as with any of these things you just come off of it as slow as possible.  But I think I may have read the same thing from others that perhaps you have.

Some people like Cymbalta, which is an SNRI not an SSRI so look into that too.  Didn't do squat for me but I know a lot of people benefit from it.    I had a slight weight gain, but nothing dreadful (I'm a slim build myself) but no other bad side effects.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2007, 03:53:44 pm »
I hate SSRI's too, so I feel your pain.  Remeron will NOT make you feel anything like that if your experience ends up like mine.

Effexor prevented me from having orgasms, which frankly makes me MORE depressed, not less! :)  Also, as I was on Kaletra at the time we thought it was aggravating my pre-existing diarrhea issues.  I didn't have withdrawl problems though, as with any of these things you just come off of it as slow as possible.  But I think I may have read the same thing from others that perhaps you have.

Some people like Cymbalta, which is an SNRI not an SSRI so look into that too.  Didn't do squat for me but I know a lot of people benefit from it.    I had a slight weight gain, but nothing dreadful (I'm a slim build myself) but no other bad side effects.

Did it knock you out the first couple of weeks?  That's the only side effect I heard about. Ecck going to start taking it tonight. I don't know why I'm so nervous. :)
March 11     756

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »
Effexor was absolutely the worst for me but I deal with Panic issues more then Depression.  I have been weaned off of Effexor and the withdrawal wasn't all that bad, but I was only on it for about 2.5 months.  I am on Celexa now which seems to be doing the trick.  It is an older version of Lexapro if I am not mistaken which is nice since it is generic now and my copay is about $20 less.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.