Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 382
Total: 384

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Testing question  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
Testing question
« on: April 12, 2014, 06:36:24 pm »
Hey friends....I had a high hiv2 exposure...I tested after 17 weeks and it came negative ...so do I need to test again or it is conclusive ...I'm going to married after 4months ..so please I need to get answer ...my exposure was in nigeria.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 06:41:41 pm by Jeff G »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Testing question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:46:13 pm »
I removed your post from another persons thread . Please only post in this one thread no matter how long its been or the subject matter . You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . Please read the posting guidelines before you post again . Thanks .

You are conclusively HIV negative .

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you did not have a risk and do not need to test for this specific incident , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »
Thank you very much....you are the best you make me feel happy...I hv just another qstion please 17 weeks is also conclusive for hiv2...even they say it takes longer for the hiv2 antibody to be detectable?cause they say hiv2 is slower than hiv1???thnk you sorry for my bad English ..and sorry if I bothered you.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 06:55:32 pm »
Its no bother at all . You are HIV negative and do not need to test again for this incident .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »
Thank you ....l lived a bad history with hiv2 doubtes...some people post a wrong information about it..like it is slower and it take more than 6 month to be detectable antibody.??
My friend so I'm 100% not infected with hiv2 ???
I can go to married without worrying to infect my future wife?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 07:18:03 pm »
That is correct, you do not have HIV . The testing window period is the same for both strains of the virus so you can relax and move on . 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:24:21 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 01:54:42 pm »
Hey ...I tested after 19 weeks from last exposure to hiv2....the result came negative from labcorp...
I still have symptoms after 19 weeks.
1/Do you think that my last result is conclusive for hiv2?
2/do I need to test after 6 months?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 02:03:43 pm »
Adolff, just because you haven't an explanation doesn't invalidate the reliability of your HIV test results. You have reliably tested negative. You ARE HIV negative.

You need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor and find out what the real problem is. It's NOT HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 02:14:10 pm »
Hey andrey.....really I'm happy because I'm tolking to you.
But they said that the hiv2 is slower multiplicating ...so it's normal that it's window period be longer than hiv1???
I have one problem andrey....I'm going to married after 2 months ...and I don't want to affect my wife....so do you suggest anything?can I move on with her with out any doubts ? :-[

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 02:26:22 pm »
You are HIV negative and can now move on with your life . Please quit sending moderator  reports, we can respond to you here in this thread . Thanks . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »
You already had your answer. You have reliably tested negative. Period. End of story. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 02:36:14 pm »
My doctor advised me to use condom with my wife until 1years ...for him the hiv2 is slower and it could take more than 6 months
...I don't know what I have to do ...as you know I cant tell her about the bad things I did....and in the same time I don't want to infect her...he said that hiv2 is not really common.so we don't know it's real window period....
I want to live a quiet life ....like before...and I can't find anyone who can tell  me what I have to do ..... I tested 12x all came negative but still worried about hiv2....

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 02:45:19 pm »
My doctor advised me to use condom with my wife until 1years ...for him the hiv2 is slower and it could take more than 6 months
...I don't know what I have to do ...as you know I cant tell her about the bad things I did....and in the same time I don't want to infect her...he said that hiv2 is not really common.so we don't know it's real window period....
I want to live a quiet life ....like before...and I can't find anyone who can tell  me what I have to do ..... I tested 12x all came negative but still worried about hiv2....

Adolf,

We have already told you that you are negative and that the test covers both strains of HIV.  YOU ARE NEGATIVE and if you are unable to accept that fact, please talk with a mental health professional.  We have told you the truth about testing and your results and there is nothing we can do, to help you overcome your irrational fear of being positive, when you have reliably tested negative.

Best of luck,

Joe

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »
Thank you joe.....I'm so sorry if I bothered you.i have just one question
Do you suggest that I can stop testing now?and I can go on with my wife without using condoms...??????and thank you...I hope the best for you friends because you are the best.....please don't ignore my last questions.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 03:12:47 pm »
Thank you joe.....I'm so sorry if I bothered you.i have just one question
Do you suggest that I can stop testing now?and I can go on with my wife without using condoms...??????and thank you...I hope the best for you friends because you are the best.....please don't ignore my last questions.

Adolf,

Please try and understand that there is only so much that we can do here.  We rely on what you tell us and you have told us that you have reliably tested negative for HIV, long past any possible exposure, with a test that covers both strains and the result was that you are negative.  If you have had NO OTHER POSSIBLE EXPOSURE since that test, I would say that you have no need of condoms, as it relates to HIV, however, unless you have been tested for all possible STDs, condoms may still make sense.

I would suggest that you get a set of STD tests done, unless you have already done so and then decide on if condoms are warranted.  Again, I can only go by what you tell me and I could never tell you whether you should use condoms, simply because I am not you, nor do I know everything about any risks you may have had.

My last point is that you are unable to accept facts when they are presented to you.  You know you are negative and only you know, if you may have other possible STDs and so the decision on using condoms rests with you alone.  I suggest you discuss this with your doctor and follow their advice.

Our only role here is to help you access risks and provide guidance on testing.  We have done that and you are negative.  Now, the rest is up to you.

Best of luck,

Joe 

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 03:22:26 pm »
Thank you ......I didn't put myself to any exposure since this incident ...it was the last one....and I tested for all STD ...and all came negative ....I'm just worried because the told me that hiv2 is common in nigeria where my last exposure was....and hiv2 take long time as window period than hiv1...that what made me feel worry.
So I don't need to use condom?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
Thank you ......I didn't put myself to any exposure since this incident ...it was the last one....and I tested for all STD ...and all came negative ....I'm just worried because the told me that hiv2 is common in nigeria where my last exposure was....and hiv2 take long time as window period than hiv1...that what made me feel worry.
So I don't need to use condom?

Adolf,

Stop this now.  None of us can tell you what you should do.  If you are adult enough to have sex, then act like an adult and make your own decisions.

Do not reply with any more comments regarding these issues or you will will find yourself getting a time out.

Consider yourself warned!.

Joe

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:49 pm »
Sorry.......I understand you......I'm so sorry
I wanted just to get something from you ...just to relax....
Just give me how rate is conclusive my last hiv2 test(19weeks)..%??
And if you can give me the deference of hiv1 and hiv2 in terms of window period....thank you again and I'm so sorry...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 07:59:31 pm »
Whether you believe it or not you are HIV negative. There's no more we can do with your situation at this point. We're not going to engage further in your doubts and fears. If you come back with more doubts and questions you are going to get a Time Out and possibly be banned permanently.

If you can't let go of your fears then get some professional help with the emotional aspects of this situation. We can't address that in this setting.

All we can do is repeat that HIV is not your problem. Period. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 07:54:54 am »
Good morning ...sorry for yesterday...what made me feel bad about hiv2 is in one site they say:
Antibodies for HIV can appear as early as a few weeks after being infected with the HIV-1 virus. The bulk of the population would demonstrate HIV-1 antibodies after 3 months from a potential contact or exposure. In rare circumstances, it could take past 6 months to be detectible for HIV-1. Antibodies for HIV-2 can appear as early as a few weeks after being infected with the HIV-2 virus. HIV-2 antibodies may take more than 6 months to be detectible.
1/what do you think about that??

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:00 am »
I did the hiv1 early detection it came back negative 16 weeks.so I'm sure I don't have hiv1 ......
But I'm still worried about hiv2 bcz my exposure was in nigeria ...
Do you suggest any test that looks for hiv2 itself...

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:25 am »
Good morning ...sorry for yesterday...what made me feel bad about hiv2 is in one site they say:
Antibodies for HIV can appear as early as a few weeks after being infected with the HIV-1 virus. The bulk of the population would demonstrate HIV-1 antibodies after 3 months from a potential contact or exposure. In rare circumstances, it could take past 6 months to be detectible for HIV-1. Antibodies for HIV-2 can appear as early as a few weeks after being infected with the HIV-2 virus. HIV-2 antibodies may take more than 6 months to be detectible.
1/what do you think about that??

Adolf,

The information you have posted is incorrect and you have reliably tested negative.  We cannot be responsible for what others post and we know that current tests cover both strains and you are NEGATIVE, so get on with your life.

Joe

Offline Adolff29

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 08:21:19 am »
Do you know any accurate test that look for hiv2 itself?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 08:26:00 am »
Do you know any accurate test that look for hiv2 itself?

Adolf,

Enough already, quit splitting hairs.  YOU ARE NEGATIVE and no further testing is needed.  If you insist on posting the same thing over and over, you will find yourself with a time out.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 08:26:43 am »
Adolf ... this ends now . You are not comprehending the facts that the test you took are conclusive, YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV . We cant do any more for you so please do not continue to question this negative result . You have been warned already so the next step is a time out .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 08:39:07 am »
Hey ...I tested after 19 weeks from last exposure to hiv2....the result came negative from labcorp...
I still have symptoms after 19 weeks.
1/Do you think that my last result is conclusive for hiv2?
2/do I need to test after 6 months?

Adolf,

Labcorp only does one hiv antibody test - and that test looks for both hiv1 and hiv2.

You do not need further testing. Your doctor does not know what he's talking about when it comes to hiv testing.

YOU ARE CONCLUSIVELY HIV1 AND HIV2 NEGATIVE.

YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV!!!!

If you feel unwell, work with your doctor to find  out what is actually going on. You have already conclusively ruled hiv out of the picture.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. There is nothing more we can do for you here.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.