Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:01:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 675
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV 2.5 times more likely in patients seeking out Mental Health treatment  (Read 4239 times)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Next Friday’s Peer support call will focus on all things HIV & Mental Health. In doing some research, I came across this fascinating study. I find it unsurprising that individuals with HIV are more likely to seek out mental health treatment. Mainly because we are already thrust into a much more proactive role concerning our physical health.

The relationship between HIV and mental illness is a complex one. The increased prevalence could be a real increase resulting from people with mental health needs being more at risk of acquiring HIV, or from people with HIV being more likely to develop a mental illness, or a combination of both.

The full article is located here:
https://www.news-medical.net/news/20230426/Study-finds-HIV-to-be-25-times-more-frequent-among-mental-health-service-users.aspx

If you want to join our discussion on October 13th at 7pm EST US, please send me a PM for the Google Meet video link. You don’t have to participate with video or even a microphone, but obviously we welcome you regardless.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
The relationship between HIV and mental illness is a complex one. The increased prevalence could be a real increase resulting from people with mental health needs being more at risk of acquiring HIV, or from people with HIV being more likely to develop a mental illness, or a combination of both.

Future work should include examination of risk factors for HIV in people in contact with mental health services so we can think about how to reduce the risk in this group. Additionally, we know that people with mental illness often receive worse physical health care than the general population, so we need to examine whether people with mental illness and HIV get the same standard of HIV care as the rest of the population."

Dr Margaret Heslin, Senior Lecturer in Health Economics and Epidemiology, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience at King's College London, and First Author
"The increased prevalence could be a real increase resulting from people with mental health needs being more at risk of acquiring HIV, or from people with HIV being more likely to develop a mental illness, or a combination of both."

I think these are the kinds of misconceptions you can reach when you're only analyzing the data and not questioning patients. This doctor claims already having mental health problems or developing mental health issues are the choices. However, what about people with HIV being offered mental health care more the average person who rarely sees their doctor? Or what about an HIV diagnosis itself being enough for people to seek mental health care? What is the rate of people receiving other potentially terminal diagnoses (like some cancers) seeking/needing mental heath care?

"we know that people with mental illness often receive worse physical health care than the general population, so we need to examine whether people with mental illness and HIV get the same standard of HIV care as the rest of the population."
once again, there is another option. People with HIV are receiving a better standard of care and hence are more likely (and more able) to access mental health care.

In terms of which diagnosis came first, of the 2239 people who both accessed mental health services for the first time and had their HIV diagnosis during the study period, 33% of them had contact with mental health services before the HIV diagnosis, and 67% of them had their HIV diagnosis before coming into contact with mental health services.

https://www.aidsmap.com/news/sep-2023/hiv-more-twice-common-mental-health-service-users
nearly 70% didn't have mental health care contact until AFTER their HIV diagnosis. Once again, this sounds like a "having access to mental health care" issue; and there's no indication about how much of this access is with pre-diagnosis mental health issues and post diagnosis issues.

A total of 181177 people who had first contact with secondary mental health services
this is just my little rant: while I'm ok with 4 place numbers not using commas, not using commas for numbers >9999 is annoying.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
once again, there is another option. People with HIV are receiving a better standard of care and hence are more likely (and more able) to access mental health care

Agreed 1000% … or is that 1,000%  :-X
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
1,000%  :-X
Nice. Just like using the oxford comma.
Good boy.  8) ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Nice. Just like using the oxford comma.

Oh the Oxford comma and I get on swimmingly!!!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
I think nearly the entire population has mental health challenges.
 it's a good thing I'm not in charge as I would add lithium to the water supply at this stage and mirodose everyone. ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 05:15:50 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
it's a good thing I'm not in charge as I would add lithium to the water supply at this stage and mirodose everyone. ;D
feel free to come to America. I'm sure by now the Republicans have dismantled enough environmental restrictions that you wouldn't even be a criminal from these actions and we certainly need the help  ::)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.