Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Retiring early - at age 55 in the U.S.

<< < (2/3) > >>

MitchMiller:
Have faith, you can retire as planned. 

I retired 3 months before turning 58 (now turning 65 in one week).  I'm sure I have a lot less saved than you do and I've never had any financial problems.  I live alone and don't get any public assistance.  However, my HIV meds are generic, so the cost is only $135/month.  I had Obamacare until this month.  It was free so can't complain.  However, the annual deductible was so high ($8600) that I never reached the limit.  I paid for all medical expenses out of pocket, but I did benefit by getting the insurance company's negotiated rate for services.

Some states have asset limits on ADAP.  Laws change so best to double check w/your state to see if what's specified in the article is still accurate.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839

Bucklandbury:

--- Quote from: MitchMiller on September 16, 2021, 04:43:22 am ---https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839

--- End quote ---

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I need to look at this site. I would no doubt be taking out more per year than the ADAP limit in my state (Kentucky), but I am OK with paying for it as it would be a tax deduction for me as a medical expense.

It's the med cost I really don't want to absorb. Biktarvy is outrageously expensive.
I wish I could trust buying Taffic from India. I looked at one site a couple of days ago, but they do not take PayPal or credit cards, and I am not keen on buying cryptocurrency (Ethereum) to make the unknown transaction with someone so far away I do not know.

Expat1:
The meds from India are used world wide.  Mylan the maker of generic Biktarvy, is the maker of brand name Epipens. 

Also I guess you will buy the obamacare plan for health so the meds are covered by that. 

Another thing.  ADAPs are better in "blue" states than in "red" states.  There are also programs to pay your insurance premiums (HIPPs) and pay copays and deductables.  Again this stuff is state based.

Expat1:
Kentucky ADAP is 500% times the federal Poverty limit so $64,400 for 2021.  If your income is that high, I don't think you would have a problem anyway.

Kentucky
The AIDS Drug Assistance Program ( ADAP ) helps ensure that people living with HIV and AIDS who are uninsured and under-insured have access to medication.

Eligibility Criteria
Application Instructions
Formulary
Hepatitis C (HCV) Drug Therapy
Contact Information

Eligibility Criteria:
Household income: no more than 500 percent or of federal poverty level....
https://adap.directory/kentucky#field_eligibility

Bucklandbury:
When I retire, I will not have income per se, but I would expect to draw out a goodly amount per year from my healthy retirement savings.

I am assuming retirement funds do count as income in this case...

--- Quote from: Expat1 on September 22, 2021, 06:46:37 pm ---Kentucky ADAP is 500% times the federal Poverty limit so $64,400 for 2021.  If your income is that high, I don't think you would have a problem anyway.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version