Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 331
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Good News and Bad News  (Read 6505 times)

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
Good News and Bad News
« on: August 10, 2006, 06:33:46 pm »
Hello Family
 I went to the doctor yesterday to get the biopsy d/t my abnormal pap smear. I was  on the table, the nurse had all the instruments and assorted little bottles and jars all lined up, I was  looking up at the cealing trying to think about "some beach, some where" ( those of you who are Kenny Chesney fans will understand )  :D The  doc  moved into position, started  sticking cold metal things  into my most private spots, moved a microscope into place, swabbed  my insides with some  cool yellow stuff that he promised would turn all the bad stuff irridescent and  then, stood up, told me I could get up and get dressed and he'd be back. I looked at the nurse, she looked at me and  shrugged and out he went. Of course my immediate  thought was  " Oh no! Its so bad he cant do anything and hes going to send me to the hospital right now!" I dressed and  waited, he finally came back in with a big smile on his face and  says to me, " It looks very good to me! " Being the woman I am I replied, " Well Thanks Doc! "  ;D He turned a bright shade of red and  proceeded to tell me there was no day glow areas in my inner regions. He decided that, considering I am  approaching the dreaded menopause, that that is the culprit, gave me a RX for hormone replacement therapy and told me he'd see me in six months.
 So, sorry  guys you had to wade through all that girly stuff, but  I'm FINE!!!

Well I'm fine in THAT dept. anyway. I also went to the ID doc yesterday. I was anxious to  hear  how  my numbers were of course. I've been worried because  the  counts aren't moving like they should. In April my CD4 was 306, from the original 90 last Sept. In July they were down to 206.  THe VL started at a million or so  last Sept and  quickly went to  75,000. They were at 55,500 in April, the doc and I were  not happy about that but at least they were SLOWLY moving downward. This time  they  were at 69,000.  >:( and the genotype showed I was beginning to be resistant to the Combivir and Viramune. I also had a horrible reaction to Sustiva when I started that last fall.  So now she has  started me on Viread, Reyataz and Norvir.
 Shes  concerned that I became resistant so  quickly, in about 9 months. I also have had this pain in my right side that just will not go away! Shes done blood and ultrasound tests and my liver is  normal, but somethings going on in there! I dont have my gall bladder so its not that either. I'm having a CT Scan tomorrow...
 Thanks everyone for all your concern and warm thoughts. I love you all!

Jena

Offline Teresa

Re: Good News and Bad News
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 07:35:49 pm »
Jena,

So glad that the doctor didn't find any glow areas in your inner areas. That has to be a big relief!

Good Luck tomorrow with your CT scan. I hope they find whats been causing your pain and its nothing serious.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 08:28:03 pm »
Jena,
  I know how you feel about the Dr. doing those test, i just hate them but like you i had nothing glowing either, just hitting 50 and i guess that change. I don't mind the change, no hot flashes yet. I hope everything goes ok tomorrow with the CTscan. I will keep you in my prayers.Please let us know how things turn out.

Love Wendy

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 08:31:46 pm »
Hi Jena

Glad everything turned out ok with the exam, and let us know how the CT scan goes.   Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers....

Love,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 08:38:39 pm »
Jena, I am greatful that the plumbing is in good working order !  Jeezzz..  You do all this in a day!?!?!?!  I for one am sorta glad I am a guy tho some would wonder???  I know your feelings about what is going on w/the bug...  Let the docs find the right med combo that will keep you moving in the best possible direction.  Me and Will are thinking about you honey...

Love

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 08:53:16 pm »
Hello Jena, it is Eldon. It is good to hear that your pap smear went very well and there are no problems. I'm wishing you the best on your Cat Scan tomorrow. Please keep us posted on how things turned out.

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 10:12:24 pm »
Dear Jena,

Do you hear that stream of breath being released? I AM SO RELIEVED!! No cervical cancer.........FANTASTIC!!

Honey, you've got my prayers on all the other items, too....hope the CT scan proves that you've only pulled a muscle or something.

Love,

Zeph
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 10:43:20 pm »
Jena:

So now she has  started me on Viread, Reyataz and Norvir.

Is there another medication missing on the new list?  Norvir is usually used just as a booster to the Reyataz in this combo and is not considered an active drug.  Also, do you know if you are resistant to both the Viramune and AZT/3TC in Combivir?  It's very important that your next combo is potent enough to drive the viral load down to undetectable since you are now dealing with some resistance issues.

Gerry

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:52:57 pm »
Jena - Congrats!

I do have to agree with Gerry, however.  If you're beginning to develop resistance to Combivir, that usually means you're resistant to 3tc, which has the same resistance profile as FTC (a component in Truvada).  I would consider doing what she suggested, but also add Ziagen.  Or Reyetaz, Norvir + Trizivir.

Perhaps Newt has an idea for what could be combined to make a potent 3 drug combo?

Calling Matt, come in Matt...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 11:08:43 pm by MSPspud »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 06:25:17 am »
Hello Jena

Gerry is (as ever) spot on when he asks is there a drug missing here. You should be on another drug besides Reyataz, Norvir and Viread.

It is hard to say anything conclusive without knowing which mutations are causing the resistance, and to which drug, but I have these observations...

Resistance to Viramune kinda happens quickly and is usually all or nothing.

Personally right now, at least to start, I would be reaching for Kaletra, because it seems a bit stronger and more durable than Reyataz, but Reyataz is a goodie, and may just do the trick (+ 1 other drug of course).

I would put money on you being resistant now to 3TC, specifically having the M184V mutation.  This is the nuke mutation that emerges quickest on people taking 3TC (one of the drugs in Combivir) who do not get a fully suppressed viral load. M184V is not necessarily a bad thing. Viread is extra good at beating this type of virus into the ground, which means that Viread+3TC (or FTC) may still work for you.  Indeed, staying on the Combivir may also be viable if M184V is the only important nuke mutation you have, because AZT (the other drug in Combivir) is also extra good against this strain of virus.  However, I expect this isn't the case. There are a number of other possible scenarios.  Which nuke mutation? is a key question, because you need a strong combo right now, and a double PI may be better if your nuke resistance picture is difficult. Certainly Viread on its own is not going to be good enough.

How you became resistant so quickly? It is possible you started off with an undetected resistant strain in your HIV mix. But 6 months of unsuppressed viral replication is enough time for resistant-causing mutations to emerge.  Your viral load has basically been level for nearly a year (if I read the dates correctly), and IMHO your doc is in error to have let this run on for so long without stepping up the treatment.

It would be helpful, if you have it, if you post the info from your genotype.  Then some of the many people who know about these things here can offer you a more informed view.

Good luck.

- matt
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:31:20 am by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline joemutt

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 06:54:28 am »
Jenna, I will keep you in my thoughts, here's to wishing everything will be ok. :)

Offline Nadine

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 07:05:02 am »
Jena...I'm so happy to hear that nothing is wrong with your female parts   :)

I'm glad that Newt showed up to tell you about the meds, as I know nothing about that kind of stuff...but I am learning and taking notes.

You are in my thoughts Dear Lady...good luck today with the CT scan.

((BIG HUGS))

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 10:10:04 am »
Thank You all for your responses, especially Gerry and Matt! I made a copy of your  comments and I am taking it to my doctors office this afternoon when I go to get my CT Scan! I appreciate you taking the time to give me this invaluable advice.
Thank God for this forum and Thank God for you all!
Jena

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 10:28:40 am »
Jena:

Please ask for a copy of your genotype resistance test.  We might be able to help walk you through this if you have the results on hand.

Gerry

Offline Christine

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 10:29:29 am »
Hi Jena,
Thinking of you, and sending good thoughts your way!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 10:57:03 am »
Well wishes & Sunshine for you Jena  :-* Thank goodness you won't have to deal with an unneeded "extra"

:-*  8)
Alex

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.