Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:50:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 184
Total: 185

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hives and allergies  (Read 2135 times)

Offline linlin

hives and allergies
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:47:08 pm »
new to this was prescribed Atripla , all was well i was actually sleeping better then usual , no other side effects felt a huge sense of relief then   on day 7 developed hives from head to toe..so went to hospital right away was a sunday ,,winds up I'm allergic to it.. it wasn't just the rash u can get i couldn't breathe etc.. so now I'm trying to get it out of my system benadrly lots of water, doc didn't want to do the steroid thing , and said i will have to go back to doc again and try another drug meanwhile a new $100.00 bottle going  in the garbage i cant afford to keep trying different meds. i missed 2 days of work unpaid and  plus i had to lie to my mom who knows nothing about all this and tell her i ate something funky..so if it happends again i got to come up with something .. i cant handle all this.. I'm allergic to alot of meds , penicillin etc..and as light skinned as u can be so cant hide it.. what if we cant find the correct combo..   ..anyone know do most of these drugs have similar ingredients that i may be allergic to .. I'm still covered in a red red spotted rash , its burning hot to the touch and itchy and I'm at work so i cant do the benedrly or ill be sleeping ..lol..  HELP

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: hives and allergies
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:56:28 am »
Hey Linlin,

Sorry for the reaction. It sounds like it was the Sustiva part of Atripla that caused your problem. Sustiva is known to cause a rash for some people, and, in some cases, it can be severe, as you described.

Have you had a resistance test done? That would give you a better idea of what other med combos are available to you.

There are many options that don't include rash, but some have other side effects. Reyataz, for example, sometimes causes people to turn yellow for a few weeks. Nothing serious, but sometimes it is noticeable.
The yellow usually affects the eyes more than the skin.

There is a list of the drugs and their potential side effects here under the treatment section. You might want to peruse it just to become acquainted with the various meds out there.

You should certainly sit down with your doctor and discuss the pros and cons of any new regimens he/she proposes.

Oh, and before you toss the Atripla in the garbage, you might want to ask if there is someone to whom you could donate it. Atripla costs about $1,700 in the States, and being the frugal person I am, I just hate to see things wasted.

HUGS,

Mark

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:00:26 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline linlin

Re: hives and allergies
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:10:44 am »
thanks Mark,

i was so scared of the side effects and so relieved it didn't bother me then boom in fact it was so bad last night i went to the er but they wouldn't treat me...!!!!! they didn't have a id doc on call and didn't want to use steroids told me to keep on with the Benadryl which I've been on since sunday and its obviously not working since today I'm worse then i was sunday.. i took a test like u mentioned didn't get results yet but I'm going to switch doctors and start all over 2 days i was trying to contact the doctor and she wasn't available i had  hives, couldn't breathe etc and she wasn't available and had no body else on call that's crazy ..and then the er thing very frustrating.. I'm very sensitive to alot of products, perfumes etc.. so it figures this would happen.. its like a severe sunburn my skin is so hot to touch you could feel the heat from the rash through my clothes its the weirdest thing .. i defiantly dont want to throw the meds i paid alot for them and couldnt afford it so i will bring to new place and ask about the donation thing. thanks so much will keep posting as i go.. this is all so hard for me especially when my mother who doesnt know saw the rash had to tell her i must of ate something etc.. hate lying to her but she couldnt handle it..i know her , a hangnail and she thinks your dying . so this would kill her if she knew..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.