Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New here  (Read 3408 times)

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
New here
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:17:22 pm »
Hey all
Im so glad I found these message boards, I am 23 and have been positive seen november.  I have been looking for places to talk to people and get support but i can never seem to find anything.  I have a few questions like my doctor got me onto sickness benefits but i want to go back to work (i work in childcare) and she insists she doesn't think it would be a good idea, I'm not sure what to do since i feel 100% healthy my only worry is if I go to work then get on meds and I get a side effect that is bad.  Also, should i be looking into dieting and if so what kind of diets?
Im sorry if this doesn't make sense lol, it is 3am here atm. 
“Stop being tormented by everyone else’s reaction to you.” - Joyce Meyer

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:03:34 pm »
Hi Paulie and welcome to the forums . Its hard to have an opinion about your doctor wanting you to remain on benefits for the time being without knowing exactly the reasons behind it . I always give great weight to what my doctors advise but in the end I try and make my own decision when I have all the facts laid out before me .

You have youth and a doctor who seems to be looking out for you so all in all I would say you are off to a good start .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Souledout

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:13 pm »
Hi there and welcome! Like Jeff said, it's hard to help unless we know a few more details.

I work in childcare too. I was back in the week after I found out and it was the best thing I could have done. The kids cheered me up no end and suddenly it all didn't seem so bad.
Infection sometime April-August, no noticable seroconversion symptoms
Not currently on medication
13/09/12 CD4 672 (33%) VL <40 (diagnosis date)
18/09/12 CD4 ?               VL 43
27/09/12 CD4 ?               VL 127
19/11/12 CD4 676 (38%) VL 959
03/03/13 CD4 642 (32%) VL 291
04/07/13 CD4 791 (33%) VL 26,437 (active cold sore, tooth infection)
18/07/13 ------retest------VL 3704
18/11/13 CD4 802 (36%) VL 65

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:32:08 pm »
Welcome here.
Why doesn't she want you to go back to work? Have you been out of work for awhile?
Explain the question about diets.  Are you overweight?  Or, are you asking about special diets for HIV+ people?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:29 am »
hey guys thanks for all the replies, she thinks that the stress of working with kids would be to much and make my symptoms get worse.  But it's great to know that there are other positive people working in childcare, I saw my sexual health doctor at the hospital today and he told me my tcells are up to 600 and he disagreed with my doctor and told me to go back to work.  On the subject of diet I am overweight and nothing has ever seemed to work, I just want to be as healthy as I can be.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:48 am »
hey guys thanks for all the replies, she thinks that the stress of working with kids would be to much and make my symptoms get worse.  But it's great to know that there are other positive people working in childcare, I saw my sexual health doctor at the hospital today and he told me my tcells are up to 600 and he disagreed with my doctor and told me to go back to work.  On the subject of diet I am overweight and nothing has ever seemed to work, I just want to be as healthy as I can be.

I would say if your CD4 count is 600 and you feel like working then go for it . I would definitely look into how your medical cost and medications factor into the situation before I made the decision . You may need to do a little planning ahead to make sure your transition back to work goes along seamlessly with your health care needs .

If you want to lose weight , check and see if your clinic has a nutritionist to help guide you . The clinic I attend helped me gain some weight .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Souledout

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:10:15 pm »
Stress from working with kids??? You're doing it wrong ;)

For me working with kids is one of the best things in life, I love it. Getting back to work was the best thing for me, I couldn't help but have fun, smile and enjoy myself. Like Jeff said, ease yourself in though, a few hours here and there so as not to be too much. I really found it hard to walk in the door on the first day but afterwards I knew it was for the best.

What symptoms exactly would be made worse by going back? And I don't personally see why you should have to have a CD4 count over 600 to work.

I did buy some hand gel though, they're full of germs ;)

Offline thatpaulieguy

• Just an average guy
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »
Yeh I really don't know either myself why she said that, I'm currently looking for a new doctor.  I really miss working with the kids, I had a few initial things I was afraid of but now that I have educated myself more on HIV I feel 100% comfortable with going back.  When I was first diagnosed I fell apart and let my life go to crap, now I want to start cleaning my life up.  Thankyou for all your advice guys
Much Love
Paulie

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:50:23 pm »
What "symptoms" concern you, or this doctor??
It seems really odd that she wouldn't want you to work. Unless maybe you are suffering some effects of having HIV... (you haven't mentioned any here to us).
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Souledout

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 05:16:43 am »
It sounds as though your doctor is concerned for your mental well being. Your 'life falling apart' sounds like a breakdown to me (correct me if I'm wrong). It can be hard to get back to work after such an event but it's definitely the right thing to do, just as long as it's managed properly.

Like you I had initial feelings of panic regarding my job but, like you, educated myself. I now have no issues regarding HIV and work, it's fine.

Going back to work should have nothing to do with you CD4 count and everything to do with you feeling it's right for you, which you seem to do. Get back and start living your life again.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.