Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:01:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 210
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Generic Atripla from Canadian Pharmacy - Real or Hoax?  (Read 24624 times)

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
Generic Atripla from Canadian Pharmacy - Real or Hoax?
« on: July 24, 2008, 05:32:37 pm »
Hi all,

Recently while on WebMD, I located a link to an online pharmacy with a mailing address located in Canada. On the site they state that they have "Generic Alternative" Atripla available for $249.99 for 30 pills. My understanding is however that none of the drugs in this cocktail are available as a generic until 2017. I'm wondering how legitimate this pharmacy is, if anyone has had any experience with them, if the "Generic Alternative" Atripla is real and if so, how it can be sold in Canada but not the U.S. and finally if it isn't, what can be done to shutter the buggers?

Here is the link, http://www.northwestpharmacy.com/ProductSearch.aspx?s=atripla

Any input is appreciated.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline madaddax

• Deconstructed
Re: Generic Atripla from Canadian Pharmacy - Real or Hoax?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:33:01 pm »
Hi, I just joined the list because of searching out exactly the above question.  I'm LTS diagnosed in 1986.

I contacted the company and just asked them outright, "Is this for real?"

They say that the generic version comes from Cipla, a pharmaceutical giant in India.  There is a list of antiretrovirals on the Cipla website http://www.cipla.com/admin.php?mode=cat&action=disp&parentid=2&catid=9 but I didn't see the specific combination of Efavirenz/Emtricitabine/Tenofivir, though they do manufacture all of these individually.

I think there are some legal challenges pending, and don't know if Cipla drugs will remain available in Canada over the long term (the North American pharmaceutical companies are trying to get them kicked out).

I'm not sure what conclusions we can draw from the above.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 03:36:37 pm by madaddax »
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:36 pm »
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum then madaddax and thank you for your contribution as well!

Pharmaceuticals and patents, likely a major issue in the the near future, generate no end of fraudulent claims from unscrupulous people out for a quick buck, baht, peso, etc. I think it is important that we as consumers support each other as best we can by researching and calling out the perpetrators and of demanding oversight from our governments throughout the world. Additionally, we need to demand more oversight of the pharmaceutical companies as well.

Last edit changed, "Additionally, we need to demand more oversight from the pharmaceutical companies as well." to "Additionally, we need to demand more oversight of the pharmaceutical companies as well."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:04:48 am by marc11864 »
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline madaddax

• Deconstructed
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:57:48 pm »
I am not a lawyer, so you can safely ignore everything I say...

Seems like the US Patent office tossed out some key patents that Gilead had filed, and a snippet elsewhere on the net suggested that exclusive licensing of Atripla ended July 1.

Cipla is mentioned by name in this article http://www.news-medical.net/?id=34751 suggesting that this might be on the semi-level, that is, it may be that the fight is between the drug companies.

I suppose the only way to find out is to try to order some and see if it arrives.  At $2600 / month in the US, anyone paying cash for their meds might consider this a reasonable gamble.  Northwestpharmacy appears to be reputable, selling non-generic Atripla about 50% higher than the best price I've seen elsewhere ($1500 vs. $1000).

I'm going to be buying meds out of pocket pretty soon, so I might check this out some time in the next few months.  In the mean time, if anyone is able to order successfully at the advertised price, I'd sure be interested to know that.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

Offline azprince

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 10:21:12 pm »
I would strongly suggest buying it if the doctors monitoring you think they will work in the same way! see what the Doc. says then buy it and let me know so that I buy it as well
I have to admit : the good thing is that from now on;  I have no option but to succeed , still its ok to worry :))

Offline FIARgmc

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 06:28:34 am »
Is there any follow up to this query? As far as I know, Cipla does NOT make a version of Atripla.
However, they do have the component parts (tenofovir, efavirenz and emtricitabine).

http://www.cipla.com/admin.php?mode=cat&action=disp&parentid=2&catid=9

It is however made by Matrix Labs from Hyderabad -
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_atripla_generic_1667_17106.shtml
I do not believe Canadian pharmacies are legitimately offering generic ARVs--unfortunately. Pharma has done enough damage to the US health care (ha) system (hahaha), let alone worldwide where they view their profits as FAR more important than your life or anyone's. Pay up or die...a system I refer to as "economic genocide."

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 07:13:14 am »
This is the follow up discussion on this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33775.0
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:01 am »
Is there any follow up to this query? As far as I know, Cipla does NOT make a version of Atripla.

There have been many threads on here about this. Cipla does make a generic Atripla called "Viraday." If the medication that is being sold is in fact Viraday made by Cipla then it is fine. There are people on here who have taken it without a problem. Cipla is a reputable and legitimate company.

If you do a search on here for "generic Atripla" or "Viraday" you will see lots of previous threads discussing this, with comments from people who have taken it and where they bought it.

Someone on another site I belong to said they get Viraday from the site below. They said the product is from Cipla and comes factory sealed and he has stayed undetectable. He buys 3 months' worth of meds at a time.

LINK:

http://www.aids-drugs-online.com/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:50:45 am by Inchlingblue »

Granny60

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:06:50 am »
Husband has gotten a number of his meds that Insurance/ADAP/ Medicaid will not pay for from India.  Sometimes they come by way of Germany, Canada, or Burmuda. It is not unusual to  take 60 days or more to get them.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.