Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:38:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 316
Total: 319

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How long can I expect to Live?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline den2542

• Life is what you make it, so make it good
How long can I expect to Live?
« on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:19 pm »
Question similar. If I take my meds as prescribed and knowing I was Poz since 93 and now 55 yrs old and never had an OI. How long can I live for. Last night was was worried bc I was thinking about that. I mean do HIV people live to a ripe age now. What's it in layman's terms?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: How long can I expect to Live?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 05:20:14 pm »
Well nobody has can predict an individuals life expectancy and looking at studies and data it seems to be a questions of cutting out the bad habits that effect us, such as smoking has a profound larger impact on HIV positive people health outcomes and we already know how devastating it is to the general population.

No point loosing sleep over this one, if you want to live longer go with the tried and tested, cut out bad habits and look after yourself, below I've included some relevant and modern studies on this topic.

Jim

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=66309.msg726734#msg726734
Another study showing early treatment, and outcome improvements. Interesting is they did take the different era post ART into account. (1996 - 2000's & 2010's) and than the overall estimated life expectancy improvements between the times.

https://www.poz.com/article/life-expectancy-24972-2090 (With treatment)
Life Expectancy for Young People With HIV Is Nearly Normal

https://www.poz.com/article/modern-progress-hiv-treatment-care-likely-adds-decade-life
the average age of death for a 20-year-old starting ARVs with a CD4 count greater than 350 during 2008 to 2010 was 78 years.

Life expectancy in older people with HIV could EXCEED the average – as long as ART keeps working
http://www.aidsmap.com/Life-expectancy-in-older-people-with-HIV-could-exceed-the-average-as-long-as-ART-keeps-working/page/2551483/#item2551485

START study shows that people starting HIV treatment earlier have better quality of life
http://www.aidsmap.com/START-study-shows-that-people-starting-HIV-treatment-earlier-have-better-quality-of-life/page/3041727/

http://www.aidsmap.com/Life-expectancy-in-HIV-positive-people-in-the-US-still-lags-13-years-behind-HIV-negative-people/page/3040314/
Now the headline is 13 years however the devil is in the detail as this 1 study is not taking other life factors into account and when they do take this into account could only find found a 5 year difference, not 13 as the the headline and intro says, now they also did not factor in all the risks and reasons, they looked at 1996-97 and 2011.  I don't live in the past things change, i can reduce my risks and who is to say i could be hit by a bus in the morning or perhaps not.  So overall its very interesting but something to read and than move on. 
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:21:55 am »
Well I'm older than my father's age when he kicked it, but his death wasn't from natural causes. and my mum was 28 years older than I am now so, I'll try outliving her.

I've worked hard on cutting my risk factors, I don't smoke, my BMI is 23 and I get regular exercise, there is no reason why I shouldn't outlive my mum.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:11:03 pm »
With modern treatments there is every chance of living as long as you would do if you were negative.

Of course how long that will be will be different for everyone for a multitude of reasons, and as mentioned there are certain factors that can improve outcomes for folk living with HIV.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.