Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:45:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 674
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible infecton  (Read 5630 times)

Offline hopi

Possible infecton
« on: August 06, 2011, 11:15:57 am »
Hello,
 2 weeks ago I had protected sex with a sex worker, oral and vaginal, I know condoms are the best way to prevent hiv but it was a street sex worker and the condom could be of low quality or broken, I cant remember because I was pretty drunk. I had sex for about 2 minutes before I realized what I was doing and stopped. About 5 days after that relation I started to have throat pain, white tongue and I could feel two lymph nodes on my neck, went to de medic and he gave me just an anti inflamatory and something for the tongue, he said my lymph nodes were ok but they're are clearly palpable so I was still concerned about it. A few days later thanks to medicine my tongue was back to normal and my neck pain too but now (2 weeks since relation) I realized I have too a palpable lymph node in each axile, and groin area (medic said it could be caused by shaving althrought I dont use razors) and have some stomach pain. Nerves are killing me, I think I've readed every single post about hiv into the internet and went to the medic 4 times

My biggest concern is the white tongue and lymph nodes, I readed candidiasis is caused either by steroids/hiv/antibiotics and I havn't used steroids or antibiotics so the only possible cause is hiv, and having a swollen lymph node in every part of the body is also very disturbing, also, Im 23 and never had an infection/cold/diarreha in years and now in 2 weeks I got everything and thats really killing me, I cant even sleep

I'm having a test next week (at third week since possible infection) some people told me it was useless but I cant wait 3 month

thanks for your time, sorry for my poor english

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Possible infecton
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:26:05 pm »
Nothing you are reporting symptomatically including candidiasis is anything that is HIV specific. Stop self-diagnosing yourself. It's HIV jitters speaking and nothing that is grounded in HIV science.

Yes, you did something risky so you do need to get tested. It was a single risky incident. HIV is not easy to transmit and it is significantly harder to accomplish from female to male than the other way around. And it was a brief incident.

You can test initially at 6 weeks. If you get a negative result then it is likely that you will get another negative when you test for a conclusive result at 3 months.

You do need to learn from this experience. Mixing casual sex with excessive drinking is dangerous. And you can have intercourse with anyone you want to regardless of their status. But you need to do it the safer way which means always, without exception using a condom everytime.

Good luck with your tests. Chances are you are going to come out of this ok.   
Andy Velez

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:24 pm »
Your post says you had protected sex?

Protected sex is just that, protected. If you wear a condom you are protected against HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline hopi

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 04:58:32 pm »
so there is a chance Im not infected? I mean, when you have all these symptoms a few days after a possible exposure you feel doomed

I know protected sex is safe way to protect against HIV, I wouldnt be worried if it wasnt for all the symptoms I had in these 2 weeks after the risk relation

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 05:07:38 pm »
Fortunately doubts and fears and feelings are not facts. And there is nothing in the facts you are reporting to suggest that you had any risk for HIV.  I misunderstood and didn't realize you had used a condom for intercourse. As long as you use condoms it doesn't matter whom you are with nor what their HIV status is.

Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission. There is no cause for testing nor for further concern on your part about HIV this time.

We do recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least once a year. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

As far as your "symptoms" are concerned, you should discuss them with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline hopi

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 03:09:49 pm »
thanks for your ansewrs, I have one last question, I readed in some sites that candidiasis oral is typical in the first week of ARS just like me, do you have any knowladge about it or someone who had it on the fisrt weeks of ARS? some websites says it only appears on advanced stages of hiv, I'll go back to the doctor tomorrow but I would like to hear it from someone with experience
again thanks for your answers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »
thanks for your ansewrs, I have one last question, I readed in some sites that candidiasis oral is typical in the first week of ARS just like me, do you have any knowladge about it or someone who had it on the fisrt weeks of ARS? some websites says it only appears on advanced stages of hiv, I'll go back to the doctor tomorrow but I would like to hear it from someone with experience
again thanks for your answers

Candidiasis is absolutely NOT an HIV-specific happening. And I can tell you that if you continue to surf the net you absolutely will find material to feed your worst fears all to no good upurpose.

Nothing you are reporting has put you at risk for HIV. If your symptoms continue that is something to discuss with your doctor. We can't diagnose anything here. We can only tell you that you were not at risk, no matter what  your head and your fears say to the contrary.
Andy Velez

Offline hopi

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:06 pm »
Hello again, I tested yesterday and results will be back next monday, I know 4 weeks are not enought time to test but I didn't know that when I arranged the test. I have just readed that after ARS you will test positive, I've only had symptoms the first and half week after risk exposure, does that mean I would test positive since then or you can seroconvert some weeks after ars with no more symptoms? I hvnt had any other symptoms (had sore throad and candidiasis first week, no fever, rash, pain...)
thanks for your time

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:48:24 pm »
You had protected sex. How could you be positive?

I'm baffled.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline hopi

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:16 pm »
I was drunk, cant reember if comdom was ok

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 02:28:30 pm »
If you dont remember, its always a good idea to assume you didn't use one.

Which means you just need to test at 12 weeks.

Welcome Thread

Offline hopi

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 02:55:41 pm »
I am sure I used one, I'm just not sure if it was not broken or anything, it was roughtly 2 mins of sex but I was drunk. I gonna test at 12 weeks, arleady did at 4 weeks but that's not what Im asking

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 03:40:46 pm »
Yes, you were asking about symptoms. And while it is true that people who experience ARS will lilkely test positive afterwards, telling the difference between ARS, a cold, allergies and stress is pretty much impossible. That's why we don't discuss them here.

See, ARS is not a person feeling the virus hit them. ARS is the body's reply to the virus, the initial immune response. And those immune responses vary greatly from person to person. So much so that unless they are unusually strong, like hospital strong, they are rarely remembered.

If I were a betting man I'd say that you used a condom and used it correct;y. It neither broke nor slipped off. You will be perfectly ok, guilt notwithstanding.

If I were a betting man.

Welcome Thread

Offline hopi

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:03:58 pm »
Hi again, tests came back and thankfully they're negative (syphilis and hiv)

Srm-Ac contra Hiv-1+Hiv2 and antigen p24 (EIA) NEGATIVE

I know Im its still not a final negative since I took the test at 4 weeks post exposure (had the "ars" first week after exposure) but the doctor told me that its very unlikely to test positive at 3 months

Gonna wait for the 3 months and do a final test, le'ts pray it comes back negative awell
thanks for your help, thats been a harsh month for me

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 01:07:16 pm »
Your negative result is no surprise since you weren't at risk to begin with. Re-testing is strictly up to you and it's for your peace of mind because there was no risk. Another negative result is a slam dunk for you.
Andy Velez

Offline hopi

Some questions
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »
Long story short, about 3 months ago I had protected sex but I was drunk and dont remember if condom broke or anything, that week I got a sore throat and felt a bit sick but no fever or anything, I've got a negative elisa 4 duo test at 4 weeks. In 2 weeks I'll have the conclusive 3 months test (is the sooner they can do it). My doubt is, what happens after ars? for 2 weeks Ive had some acne on my face and I pretty much never have acne, culd this be can used by hiv? I also lost a bit of weight (nothing serious, maybe 1 kg or 2) its possible to have weight loss so early (no diarreha, vomit or anything). I also had a psoriasis breakout (I've had some on my elbows since I remember, but it got a bit worse for 3 days and then back to normal) could all this be caused by hiv at that early stage?
thanks for your help

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 06:56:19 pm »
Hopi, I've merged your threads here. In the future please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

There is absolutely nothing HIV specific about any of your symptoms. Given that you very likely used a condom that did not break, I expect you to continue to test negative.

The biggest red flag in your latest story is that you were so drunk when having sex. Mixing casual sex and excessive drinking is a very dangerous combination and one which you should avoid in the future.

I expect your 3 month test result to be negative. This is not an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline hopi

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »
sorry about making a new thread, and thanks for your answer. The problem is that its really hard to find information about what happens post ars/window time. So you're saying its not likely to have these sypthoms caused by after window time?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 07:45:55 pm »
What I am saying is that there is nothing HIV specific about your symptoms and further that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at 3 months can give you a conclusive negative result.

Which is what I am expecting for you because I don't think you actually had a risk. I think this is all about nerves and what ifs rather than a real risk.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.