Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:37:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 216
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Explosions At Boston Marathon  (Read 57418 times)

Offline tednlou2

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
Re: Explosions At Boston Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:22:01 pm »
this saddens me to no end
i was having a great day enjoying the weather when i began hearing this horrible news :(
whats wrong with people ?
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:44:14 pm »
You can see spectators took most of the hit.  Officials are reporting amputations.  At least 2 dead, with over 20 injured.  My good friend was in the race.  I talked to him this morning, as he was getting there.

I have been trying to reach him, but haven't been able to make contact.  As it appears most of the injured were spectators, I assume he is ok, but just hasn't made it back to his phone.  I'm seeing the blood-stained sidewalk, and they accidentally showed someone badly mangled.  This is the friend, who made the graph about marriage equality polls vs interracial marriage equality polls, that I recently posted here. 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:24:12 pm »
Another explosion occurred at the JFK Library, but authorities were unsure if the incidents were linked.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html

No shit Sherlock.  linked.

WTF...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »
Actually it was wise to say that might not be linked because now it seems (per CNN via Boston Globe) it was a mechanical room fire at the library that just happened to occur an hour or so after the bombs.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 05:49:41 pm »
NBC news didn't want to call the JFK "incident" an explosion -- but the Boston Police Commissioner did during a new conference.  So, I think there is still some confusion, as I think I'd believe him over CNN.

Now over 100 injured.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »
The President to speak at 6:10pm EDT.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 05:59:24 pm »
NBC news didn't want to call the JFK "incident" an explosion -- but the Boston Police Commissioner did during a new conference.  So, I think there is still some confusion, as I think I'd believe him over CNN.

That's nice, but the Boston Police Commissione just said otherwise. It was an unrelated fire.

And for some of the reporting going around via Murdoch's NY Post and being repeated on Faux News, there IS NO ONE IN CUSTODY, much less a Saudi national. This is also repeated by the Boston Police Commissioner.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 06:12:13 pm »
Yes, the Commisioner did just back off his earlier statement.  It was so far away, that it did not make much sense, but you would think the Police Commisioner would know when to say rhings.

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:38:01 pm »
I finally made contact with my friend in the race.  He crossed the finish line before this happened.  I knew he had friends running, so I did have some concern he may have waited in the spectator area to watch them cross, as he usually beats them. 

I does make you think.  He had called last night to talk.  He wants me to run in a marathon with him, back in our hometown this fall.  I missed it, and then didn't feel like returning the call.  I am not sure I want to commit to that, so instead I put off the call.  I did get to talk to him briefly this morning, but I will always try to call everyone back from now on. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 06:50:17 pm »
Sometimes, I am simply unable to fathom the utter evil that would permit someone to do such a thing.  It is simply too painful for words.  Utter, unspeakable evil.

Joe

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »
Truly unspeakable evil.

An 8 year old boy among the reported dead. As a father my heart is aching.

My thoughts and prayers out to all affected.

-W
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:21:00 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline britchick

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 05:06:03 am »
Such sad news.It makes me angry too.....so many people injured and loss of life for no valid reason.

Britchickx

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 05:54:39 am »
Terrible, saddening news. Really angers me. Watching the explosion video footage was really painful.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline MarkB

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:10 am »
Over here, we are getting reports of marathon runners who crossed the finishing line and then ran on to the Massachusetts General Hospital to donate blood. I'm reminded of the people of Newtown, CT who in the aftermath of their own unspeakable tragedy simply said "we choose love". What has happened among you shows us the worst of humanity; and the selfless actions of those who responded shows us its best.

I wish I could find words that don't sound like platitudes; from this small corner of the world, however, all I can do is express my profound sorrow at what has happened, and choose love. For what it's worth, my care and thoughts are with you today.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:35:48 am »
Ted, I'm glad your friend is ok.

I'm shocked and grieving for those who were killed and those who were maimed for life. It's hard to take it in.

...just awful.

Hugs to all.
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 05:12:01 pm »
Im getting angry and its way too soon to feel this way but all the news networks are regurgitating the same story over and over again . I'm sickened by what happened and I want answers and updates but the evidence that the coverage is a bit too much can be found when you realize how fast things that have turned out not to be true are getting reported .

Am I wrong ? , I don't remember so many errors being reported 10 years ago . It may be the competition in the 24 hour news cycle carries the blame .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 05:16:16 pm »
You mean like Fox News using a report from the New York Post (both owned by Murdoch, natch) saying a Saudi national was detained by police, and then that naturally circulating endlessly for 24 hours around every right wing blog?

Turns out he's being questioned as a witness.

I didn't turn on the TV for news until a few minutes ago. That's your problem right there.

ps: will you girls worry about me when the large marathon in Philly passes right by my apartment in three weeks? Doubtful.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 05:27:15 pm »
You mean like Fox News using a report from the New York Post (both owned by Murdoch, natch) saying a Saudi national was detained by police, and then that naturally circulating endlessly for 24 hours around every right wing blog?

Yes , things like that . To be fair and balanced I must report that its not just Faux news doing this , its all of them . I guess the world has sped up , everything is wired and instant now . Back in the 80's there was generally more time to fact check before something actually made it onto the airwaves . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »
Now CNN is reporting that the poison ricin was just intercepted in the mail to a senator.

update: further testing CNN now reports has proven inconclusive

THANKS NEWS MEDIA
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:11:34 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 09:36:10 pm »
I'm getting the feeling that this bombing may be from a domestic group, maybe some patriot group or a group like "Sovereign Citizens", etc... I know the Boston Marathon would be a desired target for some of these groups, but also the fact that it occurred on Tax day makes me wonder, although that could just be coincidental.

I'm no terrorist expert but typically doesn't a foreign terror group usually claim responsibility by now?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:47:02 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 10:16:41 pm »
Maybe it's members of the Texas Nationalist Movement hellbent on raining destruction on the Sodom and Gomorrah along the Charles River.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:17 am »
We have the country's biggest fireworks show coming up this Saturday.  When weather is good, we often have 800,000 lining the banks of the river.  Many are saying they aren't going and will not allow their kids to go.  This is unfortunate. 

It does get very crowded.  I actually prefer colder weather years.  If the weather is nice, you cannot move.  I don't like feeling I cannot leave, or even make it to a porta-potty.  On a chilly year, it would take 10 mins to walk to the bathrooms.  On a warm year, you are looking at an hour and a half.  Then, we have our Derby marathon coming up and the Derby.  Many are now afraid to go.  I'm going. 

Offline 884422

• OK
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:43:19 am »
In India and more developing nations, such blast are just like casual wears. More and more innocent peoples get killed without reasons but the difference is in developed countries and having more educated peoples, they tackle the problems and attacks with greater intelligence and courage.(http://mashable.com/2013/04/16/boston-marathon-acts-of-kindness/)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:07:23 am by 884422 »
There's no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war. Except its ending. >>Abraham Lincoln<<

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 12:29:47 pm »
***BREAKING*** Ricin poisoned letter just sent to President Obama intercepted

Offline bocker3

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 01:48:28 pm »
CNN Reporting -- an arrest has been made in the Boston bombings.......

Offline bocker3

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
CNN now Reporting.....  Oops!  There has been a 'misunderstanding', no arrest has been made and no one is in custody. 

Ugh -- Why am working from home today -- time to switch to the classical music station........

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 03:23:05 pm »
Marathon bombing suspect has been arrested and is in custody but has not been arrested and may not exist. Cable news is a cluster fuck.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 03:34:33 pm »
Shoddy half ass reporting is the new norm it seems . How many times did Walter Cronkite ever have to walk back a story . I'm not saying those were the good old days but it begs the question what is the benefit of living in the information age if its misinformation .

Things like this bother me if you cant tell .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:59 pm »
CNN now reporting Obama received rice in the mail.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 03:44:59 pm »
News collection and dissemination is different in the Digital Age -- if you don't like it why don't you two old women go watch an Antique Roadshow or Duck Dynasty marathon.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 03:46:54 pm »
Go fuck yourself you gossipy, craggy bitch. You're just upset that you're tardy to the party.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 03:49:49 pm »
News collection and dissemination is different in the Digital Age -- if you don't like it why don't you two old women go watch an Antique Roadshow or Duck Dynasty marathon.

No retard, news collection and dissemination is not different in the digital age. It still needs to be correct before disseminated.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 03:57:15 pm »
... in with anger, out with love ::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 07:56:40 pm »
A guy from Tupelo, Mississippi has been arrested in connection with the two ricin poison letter.

Figures it was someone just 2 hours away from Birmingham.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:45 pm »
Its a good thing they process mail away from the congress or White House but I sure hope they at least spring for some of those little paper mask for the guy in charge of the poison letter department .

I have been curious about what precautions are in place for the screeners .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 08:05:58 pm »
The letter, received by Wicker’s office on Tuesday, had a Memphis postmark and no return address, Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer wrote in an e-mail to senators and aides. Tupelo’s mail is routed through Memphis.

The ricin was confirmed by preliminary tests on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Obama received a similar letter, and once again, preliminary tests showed there was ricin in it.

An FBI bulletin stated that both letters, postmarked April 8, included the identical phrase: "to see a wrong and not expose it, is to become a silent partner to its continuance."

Color me confused.  What wrong did both Obama AND Wicker commit?  They are opposites..   

Not that a poison-letter vigilante maniac should be rational. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:49 pm »
Wicker was one of 16 Republicans to vote in favor of beginning the debate on gun control last week. Maybe this moron misread the headlines and thought he voted for gun control, not cloture. Seems logical that a gun nut would do that.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 08:25:08 pm »
Its a good thing they process mail away from the congress or White House but I sure hope they at least spring for some of those little paper mask for the guy in charge of the poison letter department .

I have been curious about what precautions are in place for the screeners .

I was curious about this as well, especially after one of the reports stated that Ricin was detected "in their filters they use to screen the letters" So Im guessing they run all these letters through a machine that runs air across the letters and then the air is sent through a series of detection filters?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »
After the anthrax/9-11 letters they set up facilities for the White House and Capital off-site somewhere. Everything is screened. I'm sure the staff is protected so don't worry your little heads.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 08:47:24 pm »
Whats the world coming to.   it's so depressing.  There are so many mentally disturbed folks out there.  So many things you can't do anymore without watching your back if some crazy loon is gonna to hurt innocent people.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 08:55:07 pm »
Naw, this kind of stuff has been going on for ages.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11:10 pm »
Further reporting now says that they guy, Paul Kevin Curtis, is from Corinth, MS not Tupelo. Corinth is on the TN-MS border northeast of Tupelo.

Check out his web site before too much web traffic shuts it down: https://sites.google.com/site/paulkevincurtis/

Illegal organ harvesting conspiracy? orly 8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:15:24 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 09:18:19 pm »
Further reporting now says that they guy, Paul Kevin Curtis, is from Corinth, MS not Tupelo. Corinth is on the TN-MS border northeast of Tupelo.

Check out his web site before too much web traffic shuts it down: https://sites.google.com/site/paulkevincurtis/

Illegal organ harvesting conspiracy? orly 8)

Wow ... just wow .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 09:23:30 pm »
fyi, I found that link because it's trending among mainstream news org reporters personal accounts on twitter. In a sparse area like northeast MS I can't imagine that it's not this guy -- how many with the same name can there be. Anyway, it's not "FBI official" or anything yet so take it as you should until then.

o noes -- there's more. SO.MUCH.MOAR

his flickr account shows that he enjoyed being an Elvis impersonator. That is so totally full of redneck win I don't know what to say.

Kevin is also a Birther

we the people did not vote him in (nor did we the 1st term) it takes many years (and personal dedication towards TRUTH/JUSTICE)

And here he is on facebook. Seems he's a 1987 graduate from South Natchez High School in Natchez, Mississippi. Maybe Trey sucked him off.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:32:02 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2013, 09:36:55 pm »

And here he is on facebook. Seems he's a 1987 graduate from South Natchez High School in Natchez, Mississippi. Maybe Trey sucked him off.

LMAO! No f*ckin way! Trey's classmate! ROFLMAO.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:21 pm »
He is also a Prince impersonator ... you cant make this shit up .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2013, 10:49:44 pm »
This has nothing to do with the Boston Explosions Im sure, but West, Texas (WAco) has just had a massive fertilizer plant explode. Schools and nursing homes on fire. My son A firefighter, is responding right now with a crew from Temple, which is 40 miles away,  to help out.

Insane
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:48 pm »
This has nothing to do with the Boston Explosions Im sure, but West, Texas (WAco) has just had a massive fertilizer plant explode. Schools and nursing homes on fire. My son A firefighter, is responding right now with a crew from Temple, which is 40 miles away,  to help out.

Insane

I read about this awhile ago ... Im wishing for the best for your son and hope he stays safe while he does his job . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 11:30:13 pm »
Things blow up all of the time in Waco.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.