Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:01:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 235
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Quite Nervous-Please Advice  (Read 8056 times)

Offline Nervouswreck2006

Quite Nervous-Please Advice
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:10:59 am »
Hello All! I am prepared to get tested but wanted to see if you think I should. I have read through this site recently about symptoms are I see some people also mention numbness/tingling as a symptom. My wierd sensations are mostly in my feet and a tad bit in my hands. It usually is bothersome when the temperature changes but its an all day occurence. Should I be concerned about this? My only possible exposure would have been unprotected Oral Sex. I recently had some blood work and it all came back fine. I have never had an Hiv test. Based on my exposure and my symptoms should I go and get tested. I have read about PN and I wonder if that is what I have. It seems like PN is usually accompanied by other symptoms as well so I am rather confused.

Besides this symptom I feel perfectly fine. I am a male and my partner was a female if that matters.

Thanks for your help!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Quite Nervous-Please Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:20:00 am »
If you are sexually active, it behooves you to get a full STD panel, including an HIV test, at least once a year. My vote is twice a year.

That having been said, I assume you have read our replies to those who mention/discuss symptoms. Under NO circumstances can you diagnose HIV through symptoms. And "regular" blood wortk is all but useless in determining your HIV status (or any other STD for that matter. Has EVERYONE forgotten about syphilis?). Only an HIV test and an STD panel can give you the information you require.

As a sexually active adult, you owe it to yourself and your partner(s) to maintain an accurate   knowledge regarding your sexual health.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Nervouswreck2006

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:33 am »
Thanks for your quick response! Based on your knowledge of Hiv do you see many people who have it come down with Numbness or tingling as a symptom? I plan on getting tested this week. I also have gotten tested for all other STD's which came back negative.

Thanks again!

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:43 am »
nervous

Peripheral neuropathy is not an ARS symptoms. PN is caused by damaging of the nerves very late in the disease (Aids)  or can be caused by antiviral medications.

Tingling in hands and feet can be a sign of anxiety or if one is using antidepressiva or tranquilizers (i.e Benzodiazepines, for example Xanax, Valium etc.) because they involve the GABA neurotransmitters.

Anyway, symptoms are never a way to diagnose HIV, only a test after the 3 months period can.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Darkfiber

Offline fred

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:35:44 am »
I suffered from tingling hands, arms, burning legs, muscle twitches, eye twitches, irregular bowel movements, 4 months of insomnia, floaters in my eyes, urinary infection, fatigue, depression, raised hairs on arms & hands.

I experienced this for 18 months after I experienced some tingling in my hands and became obsessed with the thought that I had MS.

Since I recently had a potential exposure go HIV (albeit very slight) and I focused and obsessed on the possibility of getting HIV guessed what happened to my MS type symptoms......  :P

All MS type symptoms disappeared and I start feeling like I've got sore throat (Globus Hystericus most probably), Ear Ache & Jaw Pain (Bruxism most likely) and Fatigue (Stress most likely) yet I will almost try and create a link between these symptoms and ARS.

Anxiety/Hypochondria is an immensely powerful thing.

Trust your doctor. They may seem aloof at times but they very often know what they are talking about   ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:44:18 am »
Nervous,

While any sexually active adult needs regular sexual health care check ups, you don't need to test over this specific incident.

Getting a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection and neither is going down on a woman. You didn't have a risk with either of these activities. Hiv is primarily transmitted through unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse and very rarely through giving blowjobs. Getting a blowjob is absolutely not a risk for hiv.

Please read through the Welcome Thread at the top of this forum and follow the lesson links.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! Have a look at the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms with confidence.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Nervouswreck2006

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 01:46:17 pm »
Thank you for all your assistance! I went this morning to my local clinic for an HIV test. I believe they used ELISA and the results wont be back for 3 weeks. That seems like a long time as I was hoping to find a place that gave them to me in 30 minutes. I know Anne and many other experts on HIV stand by and say HIV cant be transmitted via receiving a BJ. I asked the same question at the clinic and they said it is possible and got me very nervous as this was my only exposure. He also said 20% of people that are diagnosed don't have any symptoms at all.

The reason for my concern is that the Numbness or Tingling in my feet started after I received Oral sex from this women. MY Neurologist and Dr. found nothing wrong and for whatever reason couldn't help me. They never mentioned Hiv and I was to scared to bring it up. Are you sure I have nothing to worry about??

Thanks again!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 02:09:15 pm »
Nervous,

I'm sorry you happened to get a clinic worker who isn't educated on what actually constitutes hiv transmission risks. Maybe you should print out a copy of our hiv transmission lesson and take it with you when you return for your results.

Your result will be negative - getting a blowjob is absolutely NOT a risk for hiv infection. Saliva is not infectious.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 02:47:44 pm »
I stand with Ann, this site, and the science I have spent hundreds of hours to research regarding oral sex.

No  risk in insertive oral sex.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Nervouswreck2006

Re: Quite Nervous-Please Advice-Tingling/Numb Feet
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 11:10:08 am »
Hi There! I am looking for some reassurance. I posted back in late June and went to get tested. I finally got back into town after being out of the county for 4 weeks. I plan on going to the clinic later this week to get the results but I am quite nervous. My only risks that I ever recall putting myself in are unprotected Oral Sex.  I know youll say there is a slight risk to receiving Oral but I am think the news will be bad.

For the past year or so I havent been sick and the only thing wrong with me is this numbness/tingiling feeling in my feet that never goes away. I have read that sometimes the first symptom of HIV is Neuropathy. Should I be concerend. I have had a CBC done and also was tested for Lyme and Diabeties. all my tests came back negative for any diseases. The MRI of my brain also was normal. This leads me to think that its HIV since everything else came back normal.

Thanks for your help!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 11:12:37 am »
I have read that sometimes the first symptom of HIV is Neuropathy

You read incorrectly.

You do not get HIV from insertive oral sex (receiving a blowjob). It appears that you MIGHT be able to get HIV from performing fellatio on a male, but even that is an exceedingly small risk, if at all.

Other STDs? Sure. Not HIV.

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.