Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:44:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 603
Total: 604

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Scientists Spot New Clues to HIV-Linked Dementia  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Scientists Spot New Clues to HIV-Linked Dementia
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:35:29 am »
link

Researchers have identified two genetically distinct types of HIV in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) of patients with HIV-associated dementia.

The discovery may help explain why the risk of developing neurological difficulties increases as AIDS patients live longer, and may also help predict which patients are at greatest risk for the problem, according to the U.S. scientists.

They said the two newly-identified HIV types aren't being detected in HIV that circulates in a patient's blood, and one type may be present cerebrospinal fluid years before the onset of HIV-linked dementia.

The fact that the two HIV types can be detected in the CSF indicates that they grow in the central nervous system, the researchers said.

The finding might also help explain while highly active antiretroviral therapy -- the drug "cocktails" that HIV-positive patients take to stay healthy -- can help prevent some of the neurological troubles associated with infection, but not all.

The study, which appears in the Oct. 6 issue of the journal PLoS Pathogens, was led by researchers at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine.

Besides spotting the two types of HIV in cerebrospinal fluid, the team also made another discovery: While HIV is known to infect and replicate within immune system T-cells, one of the two HIV types found in CSF does so in another immune cell, called macrophages.

"This is the first time that anyone has demonstrated active replication of HIV virus in a cell type other than T- cells," study senior author Ronald Swanstrom, a professor of biochemistry and biophysics and director of the UNC Center for AIDS Research, noted in a university news release.

The finding could enhance scientists' understanding of why some patients respond better than others to HIV treatment.

"We know that HIV in the blood disappears quickly when you go on therapy, and that's because the virus is growing in T-cells, which have a very short half-life," the amount of time it takes for the level of virus to drop by half, Swanstrom explained.

But half of the patients In the new study showed a much slower rate of decay when it came to the amount of virus in their CSF. "This is evidence the virus is actually being produced by a cell with a longer half-life, and not a T-cell," Swanstrom explained.

The next step is to determine how relevant all of this might be to HIV-linked neurological issues.

"Is it bad to have these viruses around even if you don't get a diagnosis of dementia?" Swanstrom said. "And are they potentially causing cognitive damage that can be reversed with [treatment]?"

More research investigating those issues is planned, the team said.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline PozBrian

Re: Scientists Spot New Clues to HIV-Linked Dementia
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:12:19 pm »
Interesting info. I hope it leads to something useful. Of all the things that could happen as direct result of HIV, dementia is the one that scares me the most. Closely followed by losing my vision. While getting a serious OI would definitely not be fun, they are for most part treatable and I think I could handle them. *knocks wood* That is obviously something I'd rather not test out.
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.