Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:25:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773516
  • Total Topics: 66380
  • Online Today: 449
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently Diagnosed  (Read 6268 times)

Offline jan2019

Recently Diagnosed
« on: March 04, 2019, 05:05:24 am »
I wanna attend a group meeting or a seminar, anywhere around the world! i wanna know it, i wanna be around the unknown people who carries it and i wanna feel secure. I feel insecure around my peer group, i am not the same person anymore...life has changed  :-\

Help me getting in touch with people living with it, help me to know it more, help me to know how can i help myself.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: Recently Diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:42:44 am »
Hi and welcome

There are a multitude of support services across the world that can be accessed so you don't have to feel isolated and insecure. But first it may be good to post a little intro around you and your diagnosis, your numbers and treatment to help with some context and allow us to point you in the right direction.

We're a friendly bunch and are all here to help each other allay any concerns regarding this condition as we have all been there at some point or another.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:40 am »
Hiya

Welcome to the forum.

As you are new here perhaps you can share a bit about yourself, What treatment are you taking and how are you getting on with treatment? 

I feel insecure around my peer group, i am not the same person anymore...life has changed   :-\

Sorry to hear that your current peer group is not working out and, I hope you can find something more suited.

Best, Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 07:32:53 pm »
hi Jan, let us know where in the world you are, someone will know of something near you, where you can get comfortable around other poz folks.

By the Way...   Welcome!

Offline jan2019

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 12:48:13 am »
hi Jan, let us know where in the world you are, someone will know of something near you, where you can get comfortable around other poz folks.

By the Way...   Welcome!

Hi, I'm from Pakistan, hmm.. and i do not have any idea how close netted and nonjudgmental poz folks i can find here. i'm like clueless and insecure and sacred.. :-\ 

Offline jan2019

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 01:09:48 am »
Hiya

Welcome to the forum.

As you are new here perhaps you can share a bit about yourself, What treatment are you taking and how are you getting on with treatment? 

Sorry to hear that your current peer group is not working out and, I hope you can find something more suited.

Best, Jim

Hi Jim, i'm 34 years old gay (closeted) hmm...i'm on a daily dose of Mylan (Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate / Lamivudine/ Efavirenz) combo of three medicines, with the long list of side effects; nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, depression, headache, dizziness, weakness, trouble sleeping. Hmmm...i was never a whiny person but since hmm...i do not know how to deal with it, i'm all together a new person...

Best, Jan!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »
Hiya,

"Symfi" efavirenz + lamivudine + tenofovir disoproxil fumarate combination.
https://www.poz.com/drug/symfi-lo

Maybe you are not taking it in a single pill combination though, but sorry to hear you are having some problems. Did you start this treatment recently?

Not sure if you have discussed the issues with your doctor yet? If you are new to treatment it can also be a settling in stage where you and your body adjusts to treatment, I believe this combo is recommended to take before bed, on an empty stomach to reduce the side effects.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline jan2019

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 12:07:59 am »
Hiya,

"Symfi" efavirenz + lamivudine + tenofovir disoproxil fumarate combination.
https://www.poz.com/drug/symfi-lo

Maybe you are not taking it in a single pill combination though, but sorry to hear you are having some problems. Did you start this treatment recently?

Not sure if you have discussed the issues with your doctor yet? If you are new to treatment it can also be a settling in stage where you and your body adjusts to treatment, I believe this combo is recommended to take before bed, on an empty stomach to reduce the side effects.

Best, Jim

Hey,

Yes, i am taking this in single pill as a combo and you are right, they have recommended to take it on empty stomach and yes, i am very new to it! So, my body and my brain both are struggling every night! 

I have discussed these issues with my doctor and the response is, it'll take some time to adjust. So, let's see when i'll be adjusting to all of it. 

Well, eventually my body will be cop up with all the side effects but all i know, right now and for later emotionally my mental health has taken a big shock and i have no clue how i will come out of it! I honestly do have episodes where i want to commit suicide and feels like i have no future and I have a lot questions to ask but i do not have any idea who to ask and who to contact! Every day is a new struggle with my rational  to this situation! I have no regrets, i am not blaming anyone! It's me i know but i do not know how and when i'll accept it! i'm hopeless and angry....

Best, Jan!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:22:36 am »
Hi,

emotionally my mental health has taken a big shock and i have no clue how i will come out of it! I honestly do have episodes where i want to commit suicide and feels like i have no future and I have a lot questions to ask but i do not have any idea who to ask and who to contact!

Jan, I'm sorry you're in so much emotional pain.

Being newly diagnosed itself besides any self-stigma can certainly be a lot to digest and at a fast pace, going from dignoisis to clinic appointments, new territory for many and than taking meds in a fairly quick amount of time can leave the best of us feeling overwhelmed and isolated.

You're not alone however and we have all had similar experiences, it gets easier I know that sounds like a cliché but it's overwhelming the truth.

What questions do you have?

We're here and we might not know everything but in terms of living with HIV between us members we have combined 1000's of years of experience, so please ask away.

Yes, i am taking this in single pill as a combo and you are right, they have recommended to take it on empty stomach and yes, i am very new to it! So, my body and my brain both are struggling every night! 

I have discussed these issues with my doctor and the response is, it'll take some time to adjust. So, let's see when i'll be adjusting to all of it. 

I'll be honest your doctor does not sound wrong, I would look at it like this, adjusting to this medication is only going to be a brief temporary issue in life before you move on and live the rest of your life relatively normal.

Prehaps add taking the meds with water at night if you are not doing so and if things don't improve soon of course check in with your doctor again.

Other things you could do to help you through this initial phase are things that benefit both physically health & mental well being like:

• Exercise, cycle, run, etc etc whatever suits you.
  • Take time for yourself, even short walks on breaks during the day or at the end of the day
  • Eat well, eat healthy
  • Get plenty of sleep/Rest
  • Avoid isolation, socialize. Friends etc.

Take it easy Jan and keep us posted on how you are doing and any questions you have.

We're here for you.

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:24:50 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline jan2019

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 11:19:54 pm »
Thank you very much, Jim

Best, Jan!

Offline Expat1

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 12:32:09 am »
The first few days on your meds are emotionally rough, (they were for me).  But that calmed down for me after 4 days.  My partner also experienced 2 or three rought first few days.  He calmed down faster than me.

Eventually I switched out one of the medicines.  (EFV out, RPV in)

He is on the original script.  (Now over 5 years.)

Me original script 11 months, an on the slightly modified combo 4.5 years.   

The drugs you take are very strong in getting the virus under control.  So  hang in there.  If after a few weeks or months, get the doctor to change out the offending  drug.  (which would be the EFV part)

Offline jan2019

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 01:02:27 am »
Thank you very much! I now only hope that my doctor just change and switch me to much normal dose. So, i can feel normal!

Right now everything seems to me very difficult! Emotionally, i hope i had a partner to share my pain or at least with whom, i could have share my thoughts! Well, 2019 so far being emotionally stressful and uncertain! And made me feel how alone i am in this world.....

Until 2018, I always thought being single is fine, i will meet someone, one day! But now i am a package  :-\ which comes with HIV! hmmm.....

Thanks again for writing me.

Best, Jan! 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 11:52:54 am »
Just give yourself time to get your head around it, one step at a time

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline jan2019

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 12:46:15 am »
Yes, you are right Jim.

Much Respect! Jan.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.