Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:02:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773221
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 614
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "House of Numbers"  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Staying Strong

"House of Numbers"
« on: May 28, 2016, 12:41:36 am »
So I have recently been diagnosed as HIV positive. Since my diagnosis I have indulged myself in research in order to prepare for the road ahead. I have questioned every single piece of evidence or proposal presented to me; such as the methods used for testing (i.e. Elisa and western blot) and how the information is interpreted in order to diagnose someone who is to believed to be infected with HIV.

Has anyone ever heard or watched the documentary "House of Numbers"? It is on YouTube and judging by the number of views it has, I would say that not many people know that this film exists- especially those affected by HIV/AIDS. There are also subsequent films that give further explanation to support some of the proposals made in the film.

If you have watched this film, what are your thoughts? It has made me question everything that I have come to learn about the virus, especially the treatments given to HIV patients.

If you have not seen this film, then PLEASE take the time to watch it. It is roughly under 2 hours long, but it is definitely worth you time. Since I have yet to start treatment, I am glad to have been exposed to this documentary and it has encouraged me to keep pursuing my own research into other options that are available. Not that I am denying or postponing ART, but I think it is a good conversation piece to have with your doctor or primary care. There is so much information out there that is suppressed and hidden from the general public, that I believe people do not want you to know about. Knowledge is power, and I urge everyone out there to educate themselves!

Please, share your thoughts with me! I am beyond curious to know what everyone else thinks. I cannot be the only one on this site who has watched this documentary.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: "House of Numbers"
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 12:59:36 am »
Any way you slice it, this "documentary" is aids "denialism" propaganda:  it is well known and, as such, is dangerous, if taken on its face, especially by those infected with HIV.  Proceed with caution and at your own risk.  This is not to say that it is "unworthy" of viewing or discussion, if only to be recognized for what it is:  HIV and aids "denialism" dressed up as pseudoscience.  I have seen it and it is false and misleading.  If you are infected with HIV, take your meds and live your life.  It's really that simple.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Staying Strong

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 01:24:10 am »
No, I'm not denying that the epidemic doesn't exist. I was only curious to know other people's thoughts about it. I honestly don't think that the person who produced the "film" or "documentary" is denying its existence, but rather showing multiple view points of it (as he clearly states) from when the virus was first introduced. I think you're misinterpreting what I was saying. I am in no way getting my hopes up as to have been misdiagnosed, I just think it is interesting in the amount of information that is not presented to the general public or people who are infected with HIV/AIDS. There are people in the film, as mentioned, who does deny the existence of the virus. But, the films entirety does not focus on denying that it exists. I do think, however, it is juvenile for someone to not question what regiment is prescribed to them. Should someone not have concern for what they are ingesting and the long term effects that have yet to be discovered or displayed, considering the treatments are fairly new and no patient has been on them long enough to know about the long term effects are??
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 01:26:29 am by Staying Strong »

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 02:07:00 am »
I'm not misinterpreting what you are saying, since I don't know what it is you are saying, other than your seeking the opinion from others who have seen the "documentary."  Hence, I gave you my opinion of it.

You are free, of course, to ignore my opinion and draw whatever conclusions you choose to draw from the "documentary."

In order to fully or, at least, better, understand one's own medical condition, people should always ask questions about the relevant medical regimen upon which he or she is placed, whether it be HIV, diabetes, heart disease, or any other chronic condition.  If that is what you "took away" from the "documentary," I fully agree. 

However, in the case of where things stand today with HIV treatment, one must balance what is known (untreated HIV will, in almost all cases, end up with aids and subsequent death from an opportunistic infection of some sort) with the unknown (longtime side effects from treatment may cause certain problems in some people)
and make an informed "risk assessment" decision.  I have made that decision, and I choose daily to take my Atripla because I am confident that its side effects are less detrimental to my health than an alternate decision not to take the Atripla. 

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:06:23 am »
Hi

The thread will be reviewed by the mod team.

I'll be honest to me it sounds like dangerous rubbish and madness to me. Remember any idiot can produce a short film nowadays and every man and his dog can post stuff online and the internet has no gibberish filter. Anyone can use it as a soapbox no matter how destructive or twisted they are.

Mod Note:
@Staying Strong

HIV/AIDS denialists. Any member who posts denialists propaganda --
including direct links to information produced by denialist entities or language encouraging members to research denialism -- will be banned immediately.
More benign questions or comments about denialism, especially when raised by a long-term member of the Forums, will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

You have been warned and the thread will be reviewed by the mod team. Don't post anything regarding this in the meantime.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:14:07 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:50:37 am »
I'll be honest to me it sounds like dangerous rubbish and madness to me. Remember any idiot can produce a short film nowadays
House of numbers is old junk and the most serious HIV denialist bullshit to ever hit the internet. Anyone who watches and follows this crap is being seriously mislead and runs the risk of dying.

FYI staying strong, the definition of "HIV denialists" aren't just the people who deny HIV is the cause of AIDS; but also the people who propagate  bad science about HIV.

>:( >:(
This thread should be locked immediately so it goes away.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:40:04 am »
I do agree that we shouldn't give AIDS denialism a voice on this forum, but I also think it is important for people visiting to see the responses. Denying the denialists, as it were - inadvertently provides a side-door platform for these "dissidents" to spout their rubbish unopposed.

The film in question of course is dangerous nonsense. A fact backed up by the inclusion of Christine Maggiore in the film, who refused to take ARV's or give her daughter ARV's. They are both dead from AIDS now of course.

In an era where the extensive studies and research into HIV are common, and medications now are more tolerable than ever - and likely to get even more so. In an age where adherence to medication will likely lead someone infected with the virus to enjoy a full, healthy, long life and render them unable to transmit the virus. In an era where the medical establishment are viewing it as a more 'normalised' chronic condition......the views of people who would rather not take medication (or take it in ways likely to harm them) even though that means they are still 'infectious' and likely to experience significant health issues....is baffling to me.

Of course, it's not just HIV. History is littered with people who reject chemotherapy for cancer (with predictable results) amongst other conditions.

The inquisitive nature of people who question what they are taking for any condition is absolutely fine. But when the upside of the medication is so high and the downside so low, that inquisitiveness should be channeled into a healthy curiosity rather than something that should be acted on.

I'm a huge skeptic myself. I strive for critical thinking and this leads me to see how dangerous things like religious fundamentalism, paranormal claims and medical pseudoscience are. But there is a huge difference between a skeptic and a conspiracy theorist - the former relies on science, the latter on fairytales.

Thats my 2p anyway
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 07:42:45 am »
Staying strong, welcome to the forum.

As leatherman says, that video is OLD JUNK.

In fact, HIV+ have an option for being healthy and living a long life with HIV. Its called anti-viral treatment.  Science and medical practice has proved this over 3 decades AND through millions of cases.  The end.

You can have a healthy and critical interest in the politics around HIV and even in the politics of the "capitalism" of medicine and of "Big Pharma" and still respect the proven science of HIV and HIV treatment.

That old garbage of the denialists will not help you one bit.  I'm glad you watched it but now its time to expand your mind so you realise why its garbage, and move on.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 08:39:38 am »
Mod Note:
@Staying Strong

We decided to lock the thread. Now I understand you new to this but stay away from the denialists stuff and it is utter rubbish and dangerous to you and others and it has absolutely no place here.

My advice to you is simply learn to accept that you have a medical condition. move on get treatment and stay on treatment. Life goes on.

You new so this we be my only warning on this subject HIV/AIDS denialists. Any member who posts denialists propaganda -- including direct links to information produced by denialist entities or language encouraging members to research denialism -- will be banned immediately. More benign questions or comments about denialism, especially when raised by a long-term member of the Forums, will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:56:44 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.