Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:01:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 209
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has the US Gov blocked Canadian HIV med sites  (Read 10079 times)

Offline PozInVegas

Has the US Gov blocked Canadian HIV med sites
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:06:57 pm »
based on some recommendations in these forums, I have been buying Viraday from hivgenericdrugs.com - I had placed 2 previous orders and was pleased with their service.

I went to check on my recent order (placed in august) and the site is gone.  also emails to any address ending in hivgenericdrugs.com is comming back as undeliverable.

It makes me wonder if the gov shut the site down.

the order I placed in month is showing in customs, so I think I am going to get this order, but not sure what I will do the next time.

Offline buginme2

Re: Has the US Gov blocked Canadian HIV med sites
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »
Crap.  I ordered once from them also to build up a little extra supply in the event something were to happen and I need a buffer. 

Do you have other options to get your meds?  I wonder what happened.  This sucks.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »
yeah looks like they took that site off.  There is this link to another site.  Looks like they require a prescription and the generic is still from CIPLA

http://www.northdrugstore.com/buy-Atripla.html

I don't know what the cost were on the other sites, so not sure if this is the same cost.

11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:39:09 pm »
domain registration for hivgenericdrugs.com doesn't expire until  6/1/2013
however, the company is registered to an address in Hong Kong through a French server (gandi.net), so perhaps this is a problem with China and not Canada or the US. Or they have simply gone out of business.

nic-hdl: HG1207-GANDI
  owner-name: HIVGenericDrugs.com
  organisation: HIVGenericDrugs.com
  person: HIV GenericDrugs
  address: 150 Kennedy Road
  zipcode: Hong Kong
  city: HongKong

https://www.gandi.net/whois/details?search=hivgenericdrugs.com
http://website.informer.com/hivgenericdrugs.com

I know this doesn't solve your issue but at least it's the start of an explanation  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:42 pm »
Not happy about this at all. I just bought a 90 day supply of viraday from that site last month. It was only $450! So now I have to find another site!

I still have the phone number I called to check on my order last month. I wonder if ordering by phone would be an option. I was just about to order another 90 day supply in a few days.

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:08:02 pm »
Ok so I just called the number and it still seems to work. Got the same recording I got when I first ordered about leaving order number time zone etc so they can return the call. I'll call tomorrow and ask them if one can order over the phone.

Offline PozInVegas

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20:11 am »
thanks Coolio - let us know what you find out when you call

Offline PozInVegas

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:51:47 pm »
thanks for the link, but if I am reading that right, they want $3,150.00 for a 90-day supply,  the other site was $450 for 90-days.   I can't afford a grand per month

yeah looks like they took that site off.  There is this link to another site.  Looks like they require a prescription and the generic is still from CIPLA

http://www.northdrugstore.com/buy-Atripla.html

I don't know what the cost were on the other sites, so not sure if this is the same cost.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:24:20 pm »
thanks for the link, but if I am reading that right, they want $3,150.00 for a 90-day supply,  the other site was $450 for 90-days.   I can't afford a grand per month

That's for brand name, it's $460 for 90 days of generic. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline PozInVegas

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:33:37 am »
thanks buginme2, I mis-read that.

I am starting to get nervous, I have 21 days of medicine left
my latest order - was shipped
but the tracking info says it has been in Customs since 9/1/11
the last two times it only took about 10 days to clear...
with the website (maybe) being shut down by the government,
am worried the order might not clear customs...

then wouldn't have enough time to re-order from another site...

Offline jaysacto

• Livin' and Learnin'
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:39:54 am »
I'm also not happy with the scenario at all. I wish I had just stuck with ADO. I even recommended this site to others based on the feedback here.

My order was placed on 8/26/2011 and they "completed" the order on 8/30/2011. The email said that I should get a tracking number "shortly", but I have yet to receive any other communication from them.

The email is bouncing due to the blocked DNS. They also don't appear to be returning any phone calls.

I have placed a dispute with my bank for the cost of the medication, but that doesn't help me right now. I have just over a week's supply available.

Big pharma and Congress getting their hands all over my life or death drugs really freaking stinks!

Offline jaysacto

• Livin' and Learnin'
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 03:56:56 am »
Leatherman, note that the WHOIS info on gandi.net states that the profile was last updated on 9/7/2011. This is a critical piece of information.

I think I'll be contacting the U.S. address of gandi.net and see if there's any public information on what has happened with the site.

Offline jaysacto

• Livin' and Learnin'
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:10:27 am »
I also noticed that INTERNIC (ICANN) states that the status of the domain is "ClientHold." Most registrars use the status for domains that have expired. The gandi.net glossary WIKI page (http://wiki.gandi.net/en/glossary), however, states the following:

This status is applied to domain names that use EPP (the gTLD) after they have expired. To remove this status, you just need to renew the domain name.

This status is also used for suspending gTLD domains in cases of abuse.

So it appears that someone complained about abuse. This could be email or financial. I'm still thinking that big pharma or the U.S. government played a role... but I guess I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 06:51:14 am »
Just a question - but why can't there be a site in INDIA that sells the drugs directly from Indian manufacturers.

I have bought other drugs (not HAART) directly from India.  It has been hit or miss, though, for quality. 

Hey INDIANS, if there is not a law in your own land against this, you could make a lot of money by cutting out these middle men.

(I am kind of guessing this must be forbidden!)
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 10:59:12 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about those whose placed orders with hivgenericdrugs and haven't gotten bay response from them.

I guess I'll be using northdrugstore from now on. The cost is only $10 more than hivgenericdrugs and shipping is also only $10. So $470 isn't bad for a 90 supply.

Does anyone know if I take a picture of my prescription an email it would this suffice? I don't have a scanner at home and don't want to use the one at my job for fear of someone tracking a scanned prescription for an HIV drug with my name on it.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 12:00:55 am »
Jay,
If you are taking Atripla, then i could front you a week or so to buy you some extra time if need, hopefully the order will show up.  i would hate to see anyone run out, a week is cutting it kinda close.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 01:38:26 am »
Just a question - but why can't there be a site in INDIA that sells the drugs directly from Indian manufacturers.

I have bought other drugs (not HAART) directly from India.  It has been hit or miss, though, for quality.  

Hey INDIANS, if there is not a law in your own land against this, you could make a lot of money by cutting out these middle men.

I too have thought why this hasn't been done before...but I suspect this sort of thing is forbidden because of this:-

The generics manufacturers (CIPLA and others) have already been slammed with several patent violation law suits by big Pharma. The Supreme Court of India thus far has ruled in favour of the generic manufacturers on the ground that the affordability of these drugs to people in developing countries (of which India is a leading supplier) trumps monopolistic safeguards. The generics manufacturers have been successful so far but this may not last forever.

Interestingly, currently there is a major legal face-off brewing between (the virtuously Swiss  ::))  Novartis and Indian drug makers regarding its patent for a lifesaving cancer drug. If Novartis wins this dispute, this will most definitely pave the way for patents of other ARV generics manufactured in India. Something like this is likely to affect not just people in the developing world but everyone who is dependant on generic ARVs.

Link:- http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/india-faces-off-with-swiss-drug-maker-novartis-in-supreme-court-over-patent-for-cancer-drug/2011/09/06/gIQAVBgC6J_story.html

Indian also has extensive legal provisions on ‘compulsory licensing’ whereby Generic firms can legally copy patented drugs for the sole purpose of exporting them to other countries in the developing world which lack similar manufacturing capabilities. 

Given this context, Big Pharma are going to do everything within their power to make it difficult for Generic firms trying to take a bigger slice of the pie than what  was previously bargained for between the two parties.

So, I reckon if anyone did set up shop in India supplying generics to people in Europe and the States they’d be shut down fairly quickly by big Pharma arm-twisting the Indian Govt or some variation thereof.

Don't know much about the laws governing the direct sale of generics to overseas customers, but there must be some laws prohibiting that as well. Otherwise, why don't CIPLA and other companies sell abroad directly, or do they ?? In any case such a business venture is likely to be fraught with red tape and legal issues but I agree if it's not illegal (strictly speaking) it is an untapped market.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:48:29 am by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline PozInVegas

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 01:28:03 pm »
just wanted to update this thread since I started it.

the order I placed - and was stuck in customs has cleared.  So it looks like I will at least get this 90-day supply.

I placed 3 calls to hivgenericdrugs.com and never got a call back.

I did a "wayback machine" check on the site...  it stores a record of what the site looks like.  it shows a HUGE note on the site saying they were compromised - not to place an order b/c Credit card info would not be secure.  maybe they were hacked and self shut--down to protect their customers?  I dont know then why they wont return calls.

I am sorry to for everyone having to go through all this.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 05:41:42 pm »
the order I placed - and was stuck in customs has cleared.
I am sorry to for everyone having to go through all this.
glad to hear that good news.  ;D

and you didn't put anybody through anything. Isn't it nice to have a site like this where this matter could be discussed.  ;) You helped a bunch of people know they needed to look elsewhere for an alternative for their med supply.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline LM

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 06:07:46 pm »
I don't need meds now, but do those pharmacies deliver to other countries as well, or just the US? Because I would probably use them, if possible.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2011, 01:06:33 am »
I don't need meds now, but do those pharmacies deliver to other countries as well, or just the US? Because I would probably use them, if possible.

Maybe I'm confusing you with another member, but I thought you lived in Brazil?
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline jaysacto

• Livin' and Learnin'
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 12:19:58 pm »
Good news on my end. The order arrived on Saturday, so I have my meds. But the site is still down. I'm not sure how much of it is their fault or if they are victims of over-reaching regulators, but it's my life on the line here. I can't take risks.

On the flipside, perhaps that is what the regulators are hoping for... that we'll abandon these sites. This whole thing just stinks.

Mikey, thanks for the offer. It's much appreciated. It just so happens that my clinic doctors' office has a program to bridge the gap when clients are just short between prescriptions. I already had 7 in that supply and was scheduled to be on my last one yesterday. I had planned on going in to the office if I had to today. Luckily, that won't be necessary right now. On a side note, I got a new job and new benefits, so I'll be going back to regular Atripla, but I'm glad that I had the experience of needing to source the meds from elsewhere.

Coolio, a photo of a prescription really won't work that well, and most probably won't accept it. I would suggest going to Fedex Office (Kinko's) and sending from there. They don't charge for the first page cover sheet, and the cost should be around $2 for a one-page long-distance fax. That's how I handled it, and I found the cost to be well worth it.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:32:37 pm by jaysacto »

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 12:24:33 pm »
@jay thanks for the advice. I'll go to kinkos and scan and email the prescription to myself and then email it the northdrugstore. I have a weeks supply left in the second bottle of meds I'm now taking and have one more bottle left. I want to order another 90 day supply before I start my last bottle of meds.

I have group insurance at my company and the Atripla assistance co-pay card ($200 toward copayment) but since I work for a small company I didn't want to make $20,000 claims on my insurance for meds and then for some arbitrary reason end up loosing my job. So I'll take the generics for now.

Offline pozinatl

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2011, 11:54:26 am »
I was getting my Atripla generic, Viraday, from hivgenericdrugs.com for $450 for a three month supply. According to my blood work it was doing it's job. Now that that site has been shut down, I see that some poeple are talking on here about switching to northdrugstore.com where a generic can be attained for $470 including postage every three months. I also found a site for pacificonlinepharmacy.com  where I can attain a month supply for as little as $124.31. I was wondering if anyone had used either of these sites, and if so, what kind of results did they have with their service and meds. Any info appreciated.

Offline josepha

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 05:26:07 am »

I have bought other drugs (not HAART) directly from India.  It has been hit or miss, though, for quality. 

I know an outlet that sells directly themselves from India. Apparently they are cheaper than Cipla and/or their agents. I get my generic atripla 90 for approx 300 in OZ. I am not concerned about quality or anything like that, it works for me - i'm doing great. I deal directly with individuals, including for $ transfers, which can be either good/bad, depends. There have been issues with customs at times but all in all, i'm happy with them.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 06:05:01 am »
I know an outlet that sells directly themselves from India. Apparently they are cheaper than Cipla and/or their agents.

Is this drug called Vonavir (same components as Atripla/Viraday) manufactured by Emcure ?
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline jaysacto

• Livin' and Learnin'
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:28 am »
I received an email from ADO (AIDS Drugs Online) tonight.

f you have tried to visit aids-drugs-online.com lately you have probably received a 403/Forbidden message. At first, we suspected that there was a equipment problem. However, we have since discovered that the problem was that a government agency had requested the seizure of our domain name. We have since set up on a new server and new domain.

I had hoped that our government wasn't behind it, but according to ADO, they most definitely were. This is totally unacceptable. They are playing with people's lives in exchange for the profits of the few. I am extremely pissed off about this!

(BTW, ADO is now at www.aidsdrugsonline.net.)

Offline Coolio_7

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 02:32:14 pm »
Yes they are indeed playing with people's lives here. Well I'll continue to order my meds from northdrugstore.com. I just received my 90 day supply in the mail today. You can even order over the phone with this company so hopefully they don't get shut down as well.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.