Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:16:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 240
Total: 243

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Workplace Benefits  (Read 3327 times)

Offline CowboyPOZ

Workplace Benefits
« on: September 15, 2006, 01:09:07 am »
 :o

Our company has just been sold. Our former owner had great benefits(which I still have today). Who knows what kind of health plan the new company will offer, other than not as good as teh current company health plan. We do not know anything about the new owner. I have refilled every perscription in sight, made a dental appointment and eye appointment for next week. I am very fortunate to have been blessed with great insurance and never more than $15.00 out of pocket at the doctor. I am now looking at the reality of no perscription insurance, making too much money to qualify for any help on top of my fixed montly installments for life plan. When is the economy going to stop taking a crap! As if this wasn't enough my partner keeps telling me its going to be ok and not to worry. I am trying not to but I have worked so hard on my career and with my company its hard not to worry.
Who has been through something like this before. Is there any problem switching insurance? Can insurance be with held from me? Should I worry about drug tests(never drug tested before and don't use drugs)?

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
I know I don't post much anymore but I thank God you guys are hear to talk to when I need it.

CowboyPoz

Offline Eldon

Re: Workplace Benefits
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 01:31:27 am »
Hello Cowboypoz,

Go to your HR department and see if you can get the specifics with the insurance changeover. They may keep the same insurance in place. Just express your concerns to the department and someone should be able to give you some answers.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline poobear

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 01:48:06 am »
HI Cowboy Poz,
      From what I understand from switching jobs and everything,  you can not be labled as preexisting condition because there is no lapse in your insurance.  You will usually get a letter from your current health insurance stating you have had coverage with them, if you do not give them a call and ask them to send it to you.  If they do drug testing it is for illegal drugs and alcohol.  Keeping this in mind if you take any perscribed narcotic make sure they are aware of this.  Everything should be OK.  I understand you are not switching jobs but in my experience when I switched jobs it would take 3 months before new insurance kicked in so I always payed cobra so there would be no lapse in coverage.  Good Luck with this and I really think things are going to be OK.  Much Love  Rachel

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 02:51:20 am »
Hey Cowboy,

The health insurance can not be witheld because of change of ownership of the company.  I believe the most important question is going to be will health insurance be provided by the new employer.  You have confidentiality with the former employer, the insurance broker and the insurance carrier.

If you are faced with a drug test, as many companies routinely do... These tests are very expensive.  As an example, 10 years ago, Clarion was my client for their Los Angeles facility.  They wanted periodic routine drug tests.  The cost per person was $400.00, they paid the fees.  The tests are limited to a specific list of illegal substances.  In many cases a low reading on marijuana was over looked because a low reading was considered to be a casual user.

More importantly, HIV medications do not read on these tests because they are not included in the drug screen.  You may have an abnormal white blood cell count and if that is pointed out, you respond with, "my doctor is aware of that and we are working on it".  End of discussion because you are not required to disclose any additional information.

When a company changes owners, there are always changes to be made.  A new CEO will mean new rules, guidelines, insurances, mission statement and personnel and/or duty changes.  Your partner is right, there is nothing to worry about.  The new employer may have some positive changes, better health plans or improved benefit programs.  Ninety percent of all companies rerate their insurance policies in January or July of each year.  Those two months are open season for the competitor's clients.  Insurance companies gather any information they can get throughout the year to put their firm in a position to be able to offer better services, lower cost to increase their book of business and remain competitive.  If you as an employee continue to be the best you can at what you do, there is really nothing to worry about other than a change in ownership of the company.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline CowboyPOZ

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:13:08 am »
Thanks Sonoma and everyone! I needed that!
Cowboy bear Hugs
POZ

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.