Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:49:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 251
Total: 253

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mississippi school drops "To Kill a Mockingbird" from reading list.  (Read 2334 times)

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
I think i agree with he the twitter comment "if to kill a mockingbird makes you uncomfortable you should probably be reading to kill a mockingbird".

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/mississippi-school-board-pulls-kill-mockingbird-reading-list-n811136

The school board in Biloxi, Mississippi, has pulled "To Kill a Mockingbird" from an eighth-grade reading list after receiving complaints about wording in the book.

Last week, Kenny Holloway, the board's vice president, said there was language in the book that "makes people uncomfortable."

"We can teach the same lesson with other books," Holloway said, according to the The Sun Herald newspaper. "It's still in our library. But they're going to use another book in the eighth-grade course."

The Biloxi School District didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

The book will still be available to check out from the library and is still listed on the school website as part of the eighth-grade English Learning Arts program.

The Sun Herald reported that a reader said the decision stems around the book's use of the n-word. A syllabus posted on the school system's website says questions to focus on include "What does it mean to be racist?" and "What is the difference between tradition and ignorance?"

The Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, written by the late Harper Lee and published in 1960, centers on racial inequality and injustices in the Deep South. In 2009 and 2011, the American Library Association listed the novel as one of the "Top Ten Most Challenged Books."

The move has sparked national outrage on social media and a debate on discussing racism in schools.

"When school districts remove 'To Kill A Mockingbird' from the reading list, we know we have real problems," Arne Duncan, who was education secretary during most of President Barack Obama's administration, said on Twitter.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jody

Re: Mississippi school drops "To Kill a Mockingbird" from reading list.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:01:50 pm »
Very sad.  I was fortunate to have gone on European cruises the past two years and found the culture, behavior and manners and overall intelligence far better there and I always felt safe, though things can happen anywhere.  But we have good people here and need to continue to be activists, in any way we can, to end the lunacy right wingers and religious zealots with evil in their hearts, continue to to bombard good people with daily.  Whether it be cultural issues, LGBT rights, health care availability and tragically high costs, taxes and so on it will be a tough fight as so many Americans inexplicably vote against their own best interests.
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline PozLawyer

• Bipolar HIV+ former DC BigLaw attorney
Re: Mississippi school drops "To Kill a Mockingbird" from reading list.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:23:14 pm »
I think i agree with he the twitter comment "if to kill a mockingbird makes you uncomfortable you should probably be reading to kill a mockingbird".

Americans are not known for being rational decision-makers. :-D  These concerned citizens of Biloxi were upset about a character's racist language in a book meant to teach the negative aspects of racism.  I would bet my next month of medication that those "concerns" were not raised by racial minorities.

Whether it be cultural issues, LGBT rights, health care availability and tragically high costs, taxes and so on it will be a tough fight as so many Americans inexplicably vote against their own best interests.

The New York Times ran an interesting piece in April about why so many working class Americans were supporting a President whose policies will harm them. 

"The answer, experts say, is partisanship. Party affiliation has become an all-encompassing identity that outweighs the details of specific policies."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/12/upshot/why-americans-vote-against-their-interest-partisanship.html

Follow me on Twitter at @PozLawyer https://twitter.com/PozLawyer.

Diagnosed August 2014
Tivicay + Descovy, VL UD, CD4 fluctuates b/w 400-600
Married, serodiscordant.  Husband is negative.
Avid gamer (Gaymer!).  https://daggr.net/members/3696/

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.