Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:03:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Author Topic: "Tops don't get HIV"  (Read 9053 times)

Offline Deleterious

"Tops don't get HIV"
« on: September 25, 2017, 06:21:26 am »
I've noticed in my occasional bouts of research/bored internet trawling about HIV that there are many references, both anecdotal and academic, to a supposedly widespread perception in the gay community that 'Tops don't get HIV'. It's always mentioned in a '...many lustful homosexuals foolishly assume...' sort of tone.

While I know there's plenty of data indicating a lower risk of infection if you're the top rather than the bottom, I can't say I've ever heard anyone profess an genuine, personal belief that 'Tops can't catch it'. So I find myself wondering...do people actually believe that? Because I've certainly never met them. Is it something one academic heard once, and has just become an a priori assumption ? Or are there people (maybe more in past, rather than now) that really believe that?

Not making a dig at anyone if it turns out it's a commonly held belief everywhere except Australia, or whatever. I'm genuinely curious.

Offline harleymc

Re: "Tops don't get HIV"
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 06:25:48 am »
I had a friend who was convinced he'd be safe cause he was always top.
Rest In Peace Chris Ferrers-Vane.

It also begs the question are all the bottoms catching HIV from other bottoms?

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:28:10 am »
Seems to be a bit of a logical cul de sac - How do bottoms get it if not from tops ??..and so on..

Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline Deleterious

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:35:09 am »
Harleymc - you knew one person who thought it, but would you say it was/is a widely held belief in your circles?

Seems to be a bit of a logical cul de sac - How do bottoms get it if not from tops ??..and so on..

Dirty versatile bastards like myself who take whatever we can get our mitts on, presumeably :)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 06:47:41 am »
Hi

I moved your post as off topic is exactly for that, off topic and this is not.

This is just myths and stories, and It's the same myth that heterosexual men can't catch HIV.  :o Sadly there are plenty of dangerous myths about HIV, this no risk to insertive partners is one of them, and it is not limited to LGBT community.

In the heterosexual community I've seen this myth translated into doctors claiming they never had a heterosexual man who does not use needles become infected. It's highly stigmatizing and stupid statement if you ask me.

In short, Receptive partners both for anal or vaginal intercourse regardless of sexuality are at more at risk of transmission from the insertive partner, in part due to the larger surface area and possible damage to the lining of the vaginal and/or anal area. Its a bigger surface than the urtha of the insertive partners penis if it's vaginal intercourse or anal intercourse.

That does not mean no risk to the insertive partner.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:56:25 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline InRecovery

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:25:42 pm »
That was a common belief when the AIDS epidemic first began, but I don't think anyone believes that anymore. In the old days there was a lot of ignorance about AIDS. I knew several guys who thought men couldn't get it from women. I remember newspaper articles from the early 1980s that said the risk of getting HIV from a blood transfusion was low. During that time, people thought women couldn't even get it, and that women who had the symptoms of AIDS actually had some other disease.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:32 pm »
Forgive me for adding nothing new....i am just bored.... :)

I think Jim summed it up pretty well - the receptive sexual partner (what you are referring to as "bottom"), whether female or male or transgender, for a number of reasons, are at HIGHER risk of getting infected. That probably translate into larger numbers, which leads to a generalization/stigma.

That does NOT mean that the insertive partners (aka "tops") are not at risk of getting infected. They certainly are! And many get infected too = not every person that caught HIV through sexual intercourse was a bottom = not all hetero men with HIV got it through a needle = shit happens regardless of being top or bottom or gay or bi or hetero!

It just means that the RISK of getting infected is higher for "bottoms" than for "tops" - that`s it!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 04:59:56 am »
That was a common belief when the AIDS epidemic first began, but I don't think anyone believes that anymore.

Sorry for the late reply, i missed this and saw it when looking for something-else.

No, insertive transmission myths are common today or still far too common. All from they can't acquire HIV at all to things equally daft like they can't acquire it from a single exposure, unfortunately I've see this dangerous nonsense first hand. 

Even here on this forum just look at the "AM I" members posts as they are littered with this type of myths about tops. Myths like this are deadly and a real problem for people working on reducing the transmission of HIV.

In the heterosexual community this imsertive myth has translated into even health care workers including doctors claiming they have never had a heterosexual male who does not use needles become infected.

Its not only the stigma that it brings with it, its also that we have government MP's incorrectly believing this rubbish and its a serious issue when you consider they get to vote on health bills & spending not to mention the doctors who incorrect believe this nonsense and care for patients

Jim

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-38148451   
DUP's Clarke did not know heterosexuals could contract HIV 

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=66671.msg728492#msg728492
Dr Handsfied and Dr Hook says that in the about 30 years of dealing with hiv they are yet to find one heterosexual who had hiv from one time sex or condom failure. Should we trust that?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 06:35:08 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.