Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:18:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 376
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada/Reyataz/Noravir combination  (Read 16800 times)

Offline Sinsation

Truvada/Reyataz/Noravir combination
« on: June 24, 2006, 10:07:49 pm »
Is anyone taking this combinations and what should i expect as far as side effects. Also would like to know any other thoughts on this particular combination. I'll be starting on this combination for the first time with any meds next week.

Thanks,
Steve
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 10:14:00 pm by Sinsation »

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Truvada/Reyataz/Noravir combination
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 10:26:47 pm »
remember, everyone's different.

i'm going by memory but my answers would be tiredness. nausea. for nausea, try pericardium-6:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1002.msg10936#msg10936

it's pretty effective for stomach issues like pregnancy nausea (morning sickness), travel nausea (motion sickness), upset stomach, nausea from meds, etc

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:41:14 am »
there are quite a few of us on this particular regimen.  I started on kaletra and Combivir but that only lasted a few weeks.  I have been on this since Dec, 2003.  I'm happy with the results.  From cd4 of 18 to current 540(33%) and undetectable after 3 months.

The side effects seem to be like all the other HAARTS.  Constipation and/or diarrhea, dreams, high cholesterol/trig licerides.  At the beginning there is some yellowing of the skin but that shall pass.

On the whole, I think you'll be happy with it.

robert
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 01:52:33 am by Robert »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:59:16 pm »
Reyataz has the best record on blood fats (lipids/ triglycerides) - indeed, a rise of these on Reyataz is highly unusual.

Vivid dreams are mainly reserved for the orange bomb Sustiva.

Truvada (the Viread in this two-drug pill to be precise) may be a culprit for insomnia though.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Sinsation

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:28:14 am »
Thanks alot guys. Your input is really helping me understand just what to expect with this combo! Much appreciation! Keep em' coming...

Steve

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:23:56 am »
you're welcome.

from what i remember, reyataz and vitamins don't mix ...

norvir must be kept under 75 degrees farenheit ... so be extra careful since we're now in summer (in the northern hemisphere that is  ;D)

when in doubt, ask your doctor - even if you think the question is minor. there are no minor questions when it comes to your health!  8)

Offline newt

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 09:08:26 am »
Refrigeration of Norvir capsules is the recommended way to store this drug, but ain't necessary if they're stored below 77°F (25°C) and used within 2 months.

Allo, I don't understand your comment on Reyataz and vitamins, do you mean there's is some kind of interaction, or it's not a good idea to take them together?

- matt

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 10:02:02 am »

Allo, I don't understand your comment on Reyataz and vitamins, do you mean there's is some kind of interaction, or it's not a good idea to take them together?

the old bottle of reyataz i have says "do not take with vitamins" (little sticky label on the bottle)

Offline Sinsation

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 01:25:11 am »
Thanks for your thoughts on this combo guys. Still would be great to know what anyone else's experience might be.

Much thanks,

Steve =)

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 03:05:18 am »
Just started this March 1, with epivir/viread instead of truvada (but vitually the same combo).  First few days no problem just a "rush" from taking the pills in the morning - like a jolt of caffeine.  I got a rash after about a week that lasted a week or so - on the body and only kept me inside for a day or two when it looked worse - itched a bit but not terrible.  Dr. treated it symtomatically and it went away after 3-5 days on each part of the body - about 8 days in all.  A bit scary but definitely not worth stopping for.

My result have been fabulous so far - last labs viral load of 85, it had been as high as almost 100,000.  Tcells already up, and now I don't notice any side effects.  Definitely a good combo and I'm very happy with it - especially the once a day dosing in the morning.

Don't take Reyataz with antacids, or something acid inhibitors, it can hurt the effectiveness of the meds.  I had a problem with this, and was able to take a Zantac 12 hours after the meds (ok with the doc) only when needed, and then the acid problems went away too.

Good luck!
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 03:09:41 pm »
Im on a Reyataz Epzicom Norvir  combo, and have no side effects.  My cholesterol shot up somewhat, but Im predisposed to high Cholesterol anyway, my chol is coming under control with a  Niacin supliment,
 my VL is either Undetectable or very low, and my CD4's have gone WAAY up. from 11% to 30+% 
Im pretty happy with it.
I hope it works as well for you..
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline stevevaboy

• In disguise ;>)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 01:42:47 am »
I've been on this regimen for 2 weeks.  My first meds (Truvada & viramune) failed to make the virus undetectable.  I definitely noticed changes in my sleep pattern and just today I've broken out in a red, blotchy rash, but it doesn't itch or anything - odd.  I read the other post above about the rash - which is why I came on here today, and I'm going to assume that I should just wait it out and not panic.  I took a Benadryl tab tonight hoping it will lessen the severity of the rash, etc...  Any other comments on the rash situation is greatly appreciated!!!

Steve
;0

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 01:17:14 am »
I've been on this combo for about 9 months and I LOVE it. My viral load is undetectable, my lipids dropped over 1000 points and I only have to take meds once a day. The only side effect I have noticed is yellowing of my eyes and skin due to elevated bilirubin. My MD say this is not a problem because my other liver enzymes are fine. With my other combos I have always had more troublesome side effects, such as chronic diarrhea and neuropathy. I hope this combo is effective a long time.

Offline blubella

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 08:39:06 pm »
Ive been on on this combo for a short time and havent experienced any bad side effects except for the basics..nausua and tiredness.... I am restless at nites but cant fall asleep but always feel tired.

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 03:01:51 am »
Hi Steve:

I was the one who had the rash.  It started out as dots, then became blotches, then the red blotches grew together so it looked like i had a sunburn.  At this point, it very quickly faded out.  Never got too itchy, just tender, and went away after 3-4 days on each part of the body (started on the chest and spread out) and probably 8-10 days for the whole thing to pass.  It looks scary, but for me it wasn't anything bad...

One thing I wondered is I was taking Wellbutrin at the time, and that has some interaction with Reyataz.  I switched to Wellbutrin time release and that is much better - i wonder if that might have precipitated it since my Doc said it wasn't all that common....

Now four months later I have no side effects to speak of, and the regimen is working wonders...down to 85 viral load after 3 months, and looking forward to the results in my next labs!

Stick with it!  Good luck!
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 08:12:17 pm »
The nausea just started kicking in for me after two weeks on the combo.  How long has this lasted for others?  Seeing my doctor in a few days but am hoping to get some insight before then...thanks and peace to all!  Dex

Offline scottL

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 09:40:24 pm »
I think this has to be the best combo going.  I have been on it since the beginning (a year and a half ago) and like Magic Johnson says in his ad, I don't think of having HIV except for when I have to take my meds (paraphrasing).  It's gone that well for me.   No side effects whatsoever.   I chose it over any other PI as I had done my research and found out that it was best regarding lipid levels.   And I wanted a once a day regimen.   It's the perfect combo for me.   

My lipids are excellent.  I had a jump in my liver numbers in the first couple of months but it went away about a month later (I was taking some growth-hormone over the counter stuff my doctor had me get off of, I think it was the cause).   

My hubby is also using Reyataz (but with other combo of meds) and he is doing equally well. 

Offline Robert

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2006, 12:42:05 am »
The nausea is not bad.  Just irksome.  It will go away in a few days.

robert

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 05:48:26 am »
oh yeah and it's 'take with food' which is kinda convenient - no counting hours , starvation, etc.  (don't you just hate those 'take on empty stomach' Rx drugs? they're such a hassle and a half)

Offline Dexter

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2006, 10:45:31 am »
Thanks for the responses...the nausea finally let up.....

Offline Sinsation

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 04:55:42 pm »
Hey all and thanks for all your replys.

Well, I've been on Truvad/Reyatz/Norivir since July 22,06 and just learned that my liver enzymes are very high which my doctor seems to think that it is liver toxicity. That and he mentioned the possibility of it being "Immune Reconstitution".

Although he did suggest a liver biopsy which would rule of either, it seems with the elevated ALT/AST, dark urine and bleeding gums-which are a sign of liver toxicity may also be the culprit. Since I do have Hep B and went through the same set of symptoms a few years back of liver toxicity, it seems reasonable that is what is happening. The doctor suggested taking me off the Norvir/Reyatz and putting me on Lexiva.

Although my CD4's went from 9% to 14% and VL from 58,000 to 200 in just one month which is great news, this seems like a setback with my liver function tests. Really sucks too since I was excited about being on this combo- with NO side effects. Well other than screwing with my liver.

More than likely I won't do the liver biopsy and will go on the Lexiva and see where my liver numbers go. Ugh, feeling a bit defeated today. Yea, i know...chin up Steve. I'll have some more test in two days and I'll keep ya'll posted on the outcome. Thanks again guys..hugs!

Any thoughts on this and what meds might be "best" or less toxic to the  liver?

Offline Lido

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »
 >:(Hei
I have read the forum concerning Reyataz, Novir and Truvada. It seems most people who are on Reyataz, Norvir are also on Truvada. Am on Reyataz, Norvir, Viread and Emtriva.
I would like to find out which is the best comb of Reyataz and Norvir. I would maybe have one instead of the other two (Viread and Emtriva). Can i drop one of the two?
desperate need your advice.
Thanks

latinscorpio75

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 04:03:23 pm »
I have been taking the Reyataz/Norvir/Combivir cocktail for about 4 days now.  Yesterday my eyes were yellow and got really freaked out about it because the info. that the pharmacy provides with the medication says to "call the doctor immediately".  I don't think they should have that on there unless this side effect is really an emergency.  I made some phone calls and found yesterday (Saturday) and found out that the only person you can really talk to is your doctor or go to Urgent care.  No one is available on the weekends to answer any questions.  Not the NIH, CDC, and the CA HIV/AIDS hotline.  All their messages tell you to call Monday through Friday.   I almost stopped taking the meds because I was scared that my liver was going to get damaged or something.  Luckily I know this guy who knows someone at APLA and was able to give me some great information about the side effects and advised to keep taking my meds.  I don't have health insurance at the moment so I'm fucked if I were to get sick or require urgent medical care.  My advice to those starting new medications is, ask your doctor about all the specific side effects and the common side effects, also make sure you are able to get a hold of your doctor or someone who can help you after 5 p.m on weekdays and on Weekends.  Oh, my muscles have been sore since I started on these new meds but I hope it goes away. 

Offline newt

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 05:48:31 pm »
Hey Lido,

Viread+Emtriva is the same drugs as Truvada.  The two separate medicines Viread and Emtriva were combined recently to make a once-a-day nuke pair delivered in 1 handy tablet, which they named Truvada (from "TRUe 1 x A DAy", apparently..yeah, like, likely), but essentially, from a combo-building point of view, Viread+Emtriva = Truvada.

- matt

Now playing : Radio 4

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 06:32:41 pm »
Hiya all!

I started Truvada + Sustiva, but had to stop Sustiva by the 4th week due to a severe rash with pain in joints. My doc then proposed keeping Truvada and adding Reyataz plus Norvir.

I am on my 4th month with this, and no remarcable side effects, not even yellowing. I am waiting for results on my last meds to see how is it going as per regards to VL and CD4 counts as well as lipids and so on.

I've got used to this combo and I am very happy with it, hope labs will be telling good news!!!!

Hughs!

:-)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.