Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:13:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 142
Total: 142

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Possibilities of treatment boosting CD4 Counts?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Possibilities of treatment boosting CD4 Counts?
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:18:22 am »
Well I am in a very BAD situation. My CD4 counts that I took on 12/19 were 240 and 3wks later it was lower.

Will medication boost my CD4 counts dramatically or will it just lower viral load?
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Re: Possibilities of treatment boosting CD4 Counts?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:40:08 pm »
Ihavehope,

What is your viral load?  What was that last CD4 count?  How many blood tests have been done over how long a period?  A CD4 count within the same range in 3 weeks isn't unusual.  If you have recently tested poz and have not had blood work done more than a couple of times you might want to wait for another month if your viral load isn't very high (i.e., <100,000).

HIV medications almost always help CD4 counts to rise again to a "safe" level of 300 and (much) higher but it takes more time for some people than others.  The important thing to remember is the pattern of your numbers over time, not the results of one set of lab work. 

I hope your situation is better than you think it is!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 03:00:29 pm »
Try to take a deep breath, slow down and read Boo's post?  The downturn could be real, could be a blip (see recent threads on this).  If your CD4 count was lower, as Boo asked, what do you mean?  Finally a quick review of threads will show that some posters do see a 'dramatic' boost in CD4 counts over time.  Some posters, like myself, see things holding steady over the long term.  The long term is what we all need to look at, not the quick turns on the road.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 06:57:25 pm »
Well, I had VL of 30,000 and CD4 of 385 when I started treatment - three weeks after starting Atripla, the VL was 300 and CD4 had jumped to 500.  Won't know more til late February, but a goal of treatment is to reduce the viral load and increase the CD4.

Offline koi1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:40:30 pm »
Yes!

That is the hope that we all have here. If you look at the profiles on here there is a definite trend of cd4s going up and viral loads going down. Don't worry. I just started sustiva and truvada and am hoping for a boost. I know it could be a small one but I am hoping for a definite trend. This combination is causing minimal side effects for me so far! I hope it pays off labswise.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:37:17 am »
It takes time for the climb. You will get there.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:08:21 am »
Hey Hope,

To answer your question, the meds goal is to reduce the viral load. This allows the body  to recover, i.e. increased CD4s.

The meds don't, in and of themselves, increase CD4s.

Boo hit the nail on the head. Some bounce back quickly, others more slowly. The important thing is the pattern over time.

I know its nerve-wracking. Do you know what your viral loads were?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:53:21 am »
Viral Load was 26,000
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.