Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:51:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773304
  • Total Topics: 66349
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 633
Total: 633

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can't Stop Gaining Weight  (Read 5762 times)

Offline buginme2

Can't Stop Gaining Weight
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:39:41 pm »
So I started meds in December (Atripla..Yay!) Since I started I have gained about 15 pounds.  My diet has not changed, I eat pretty healthy, always have.  I eat mostly a vegetarian diet, lots of veggies.  I work out about 4-5 days a week.  I'm trying to tone up for summer but I feel like I am fighting a losing battle.  I don't know if this is an Atripla thing, an HAART thing (not just Atripla but any med), or an age thing..I'm closely approaching the big 4-0. 

Any have any ideas as to whats going on?  I used to be in pretty good shape (good muscle tone).  I read a post on Dr. Gallants website and he stated most matter of factly that lipo issues DO NOT affect those on newer medications.  That they were part of the AZT meds in the past.  Is that right?

Anyone have a good workout plan?  ugh
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Can't Stop Gaining Weight
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »
HIV fucks your metabolism, fat metabolism specifically. If you go on meds it is likely you will be less thin. Have you seen how thin dying people with AIDS are?

Weight per se is not the key thing to look at, it's fat as a % of body weight. Muscle weighs more than fat (I guess you know this). Do (lots) more cardio and less gym if you wanna be lighter (I guess you known this too).

On lipo, if the weight (fat) gain is pinchable it's not lipo. Fat accumulation from meds adds fat on the inside, around your organs, not over your waistband. Atripla is more associated with fat loss than fat gain.

Some older meds, specifically AZT and d4T, are associated with fat loss.

Let's not mention age....

- matt (46)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:41:11 pm »
I have put on quite a bit of weight after starting on meds (Atripla).  This time last year I was down to 130 lbs and I remember being so bony that it actually hurt to just sit in a chair w/o lots of cushion.  I need to take off a few pounds at this point but really dont worry about it too much.  I was a heavy kid and also in my 20s. 

I like the extra weight as long as I can still see my feet when I look down. 

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:27:01 pm »
Ok just an update.  I weighed myself yesterday and I am still gaining weight.  I have put on another 5 pounds.  Back in October before I started meds I was around 160.  As of yesterday I am up over 180.  I dont want to blame it on the meds, it just seems like a big coincidence that I started as soon as I started Atripla.  Anyone else experience this? When will it stop.  At this rate I'm going to be HUGE

Offline elf

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:57:17 pm »
The best workout plan is to run, 10 miles a day.  :)
(and of course, low carbo, low saturated fat diet)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:03:02 pm »
Karl Lagerfeld stays slim by eating a diet of baby food.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »
The best workout plan is to run, 10 miles a day.  :)
(and of course, low carbo, low saturated fat diet)

Who has time to run 10 miles a day? How boring.  Aa far as low carb, I'm not a fan.   I eat mostly a vegatarian diet.  So I'm not one to load up on meat.  Dont get me wrong I eat plenty of protein, just an all protein diet sounds borring.

I'm saving the baby food option for later.

Offline surf18

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 12:03:26 am »
come on give this guy serious answers. do the modern drugs cause someone to gain 20 lbs in four months??
or is it one becoming "healthy" that makes the weight gain.
look were all vain in a good way and this is a huge question especially since everyone seems to be on this drug. how bout some real answers please.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:09:13 am »
hi bug,
i was 210 when i got sick and went down to 173 in about 3 weeks time, since i started atripla i went to 184, then went back to dr the other day and down to 179, so im fluctuating.  my ass is a little thicker thankfully because my tailbone was hurting there for a while..lol
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 12:20:41 am »
Have your doctor check your thyroid if he hasn't already .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline terrysenc

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »
I went from 155 to 170 after starting Truvada, reyetaz and norvir.  I asked my doctor about it and he said it was possible that it was from getting "healthy" and not really the meds.  I know your on atripla but maybe its all the same.

Offline Zohar

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:11:11 am »
I don't have much to add here but just to say that since I started medication a lot of my clothes, particularly shirts, no longer fit; button holes are literally now straining when I do them up and those at the collar simply won't fasten at all without choking me. I'm on a tight budget so if anything I'm eating less than I used to and am definitely drinking less, so it seems pretty clear to me that medication has caused the weight gain.
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 08:06:14 pm »
So I started meds in December (Atripla..Yay!) Since I started I have gained about 15 pounds.  My diet has not changed, I eat pretty healthy, always have.  I eat mostly a vegetarian diet, lots of veggies.  I work out about 4-5 days a week.  I'm trying to tone up for summer but I feel like I am fighting a losing battle.  I don't know if this is an Atripla thing, an HAART thing (not just Atripla but any med), or an age thing..I'm closely approaching the big 4-0. 

Any have any ideas as to whats going on?  I used to be in pretty good shape (good muscle tone).  I read a post on Dr. Gallants website and he stated most matter of factly that lipo issues DO NOT affect those on newer medications.  That they were part of the AZT meds in the past.  Is that right?

Anyone have a good workout plan?  ugh

wow..And I was afraid I would start losing weight after I started my Meds..I didn't wanna start getting thin

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 08:36:46 pm »
I have been trying to lose weight or at least belly fat and was talking to some people this weekend about all the cardio and working out I have been doing , just when I thought I had sufficiently impressed everyone my six year old niece interupted to ask if cardio gives you a fat belly cause it sure looks like its workin on me if it does . I love her anyway .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »
wow..And I was afraid I would start losing weight after I started my Meds..I didn't wanna start getting thin

I would not worry about that.  So basically I have held steady since I have posted this.  I may have even dropped a couple pounds.  However, I did have to buy some new clothes since I have gone up 2 pant sizes since I started meds 5 months ago (any reason to buy clothes right?)

jg1962:  You have to love the unfiltered speak of kids. haha. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.