Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:38:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 636
Total: 637

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any Tips on dealing with the foggyness caused by Atripla?  (Read 7290 times)

Offline stevie

Any Tips on dealing with the foggyness caused by Atripla?
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:22:32 pm »
Hello there,

People here have helped me with my previous post so much, I thought I might do it again!  Thanks everyone!

I have started Atripla, 3 days ago.  I know that feeling foggy and light headed are very common side effects to this medication.  I would like to know what tips people have in dealing with or getting used to the foggyness.

I really want to make this medicine work for me and want to do my part in making that happen. 

I feel as though I can do things despite the light headedness, so I do.  I am trying to stay active and have a decent attitude.  I have avoided the gym, and do as little driving as possible, but maybe I should do the opposite?

Is there any foods/drinks/exercise that can actually reduce the light headedness?   Or do I just have to learn to accomodate it for the long term?

Thanks in advance for any responses to this.

Stevie, getting back on track.

BobF

Re: Any Tips on dealing with the foggyness caused by Atripla?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:58:48 pm »
I started Atripla yesterday, so haven't had the fogginess.   I had vivid dreams, but that's it for the first night!

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 03:40:58 pm »
Hi

Not sure what atripla contains but when I started sustiva, it made me punch drunk about an hour afetr taking it in the 1st month. i wouldn't fight it, and certainly not force myself to drive when i feel this way. sooner all later you will get used, but no point in accelerating, in my opinion.

good luck with it!
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:09:36 pm »
It will take time to get used to the medicine, but I believe that is why they recommend taking it at bedtime.  If you awake in the middle of the night, you might stumble a bit as you make your way down the hall, but as you generally won't be driving or operating heavy equipment in your pj's, you should be ok. 

Give it a little time and avoid high fat/heavy meals for about two hours prior to taking your meds.

Offline Gustavo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 07:09:54 pm »
Hello;
I just started, about three weeks ago; and It was pretty bad at the beginning, to the point that i considered stopping , now It just startted to get better.

I make sure I eat one hour after or two hours before; take it with a full glass of water'
try to go to sleep withing two hrs after  taking  it, take a hot shower before bed, and sometimes I make myself a tee with ginger root, honey and milk, ( Boil some shavings of ginger root  in a bit of water, then mix in the milk and honey) helps  me to relax.
( I am not an expert on anything, any suggestions are very welcome)

I will find out in a couple of weeks how my numbers come out.

This is a wonderfull site, and I am glad that there is so much support and love.

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 10:32:00 am »
i have been on Sustiva (component of Atripla) for about a year and the effects will pass. 

Take the pills before bedtime and be sure to get 8 hours of sleep.  Also, low fat meals 2 hours before taking the meds will help.  In the morning if you're still foggy, drink a good cup of Starbucks and that should clear any remaining fog.  It's tought the first couple of weeks but usually passes. 

If you still are having issues, talk to your doctor and see what your options are.  There always are options.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline DanKenny

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 10:23:22 am »
Hi,

You will do fine.  I started the same way, feeling really light-headed. what I did was to lengthen the time period betweeen taking the pills and after to about say 3 hours before and after.  And then go to bed immediately.  These foggyness will subside with time.

FWIW, I started meds in Feb and by april, I switched to taking it during the day.  I started taking it at 6am, and by 9am, most of the effects subside before I hit the road to work.  currently, I feel foggy when I eat within two hours of taking the meds....other than that, I am pretty ok with it.

So, take courage, you will get there...

alll the best - Danny
My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 10:44:25 am »
I have been on Sustiva since Sept 2002, along with Truvda since Oct 2005.  I take the meds at bedtime and for 5 years I have had the lightheaded feeling.  It has never subsided for me.  When it hits, I know its time to go to bed.  I just hate that if I wake up overnight, I can't get back to sleep!  I am surprised that some people take it in the morning.  I'm going to ask my doc about this.  Also, the lightheadedness to me is more like being on a child's merry-go-round at a park, and I kinda like it, no problems there.  I just wouldn't want to drive while feeling this way!
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 02:32:18 pm »
my tip. switch!
i did. i feel so much better words can't describe.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline Gaguy2know

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 03:56:21 pm »
my tip. switch!
i did. i feel so much better words can't describe.
are yousaying switch to Atripla or from it?  i was on atripla and also have bipolar disorder.  it caused really bad dreams and i didnt sleep much and exacerbated my manic and depressive states.  i had to be taken off and put back on my old regimen.
Veni Vidi Vici
Carpe Diem

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 02:17:24 pm »
yes switch off it. i also had depression that sustiva made worse.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline schnitzer

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 01:42:19 am »
there's no way to fight it. . it's a great sleeping pill ..  i still get those foggy feelings but eventually it lightens up... 
it's like being a drug addict ..  eventually you'll need twice the dose to experience what you have today. .

Offline rick749

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:21:39 pm »
A couple of strong cups of coffee seem to help me.

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 01:30:57 am »
Hey Stevie,  you should talk with your doctor

The ingredient most causing this side effect is almost definately Efavirenz / Sustiva

Some tips

Take at bedtime and at least 2 hours after ALL food, including snacks

Take when you have nothing left to do for the night except your bedtime routine

Monitor the severity and duration of the side effect - to see if it starts to improve

If it does start to improve, see how you go, if you can live with the side effects and the routine involved in taking this medication good and well, if not you could change to something else.

Switching from Sustiva to Nevirapine will allow a once daily dosing at any time ie breakfast or lunch leaving you the rest of the day.  Nevirapine is in the same class as Sustiva, can be taken once a day, but does not have the sedating, depressant or hallucinogenic side effects.  There are also many other drugs that can be taken instead of Sustiva.

interesting link - http://www.plwha.org.au/PLWHA/attachments/FS1_Efavirenz_Run-ons_V2.pdf

Some people prefer one pill once a day, so they perservere and many cope well.  Some prefer to avoid these side effects.  It all depends on your preferences.

Remember that the side effects will almost always manifest if you take Sustiva with food, no matter how long you have been taking Sustiva.  This can be a long and difficult committment to a fairly strict evening routine.

Take care

J x
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.