Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 362
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: unprotected oral (please explain) Andy or Ann ?  (Read 9018 times)

Offline gotaknow

unprotected oral (please explain) Andy or Ann ?
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:40:44 am »
i did have an unprotected blow job from a girl. in some threads here you say it is safe and in other threads you say hiv can happen. what are the factors for it to happen?  this has me scared (vary scared). thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: unprotected oral (please explain) Andy or Ann ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:43:19 am »
In the entire history of the HIV epidemic there has never been a single confirmed case of transmission to a guy through his getting a blowjob.

It's safe to say you won't make history by becoming the first. There is no cause for further concern nor any need for testing.

Just be sure that when you have either vaginal or anal intercourse you are always wearing a condom. Then you will be well protected against the sexual transmission of HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 01:09:23 pm »
Andy why is it that there would have to be a lot of blood for a blow job but hardly any for an iv drug user. The math don't add up. That's what worrys me

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 02:25:24 pm »
gota,

There's a world of difference between an injecting drug user and a blowjob. When an IDU becomes infected through sharing needles, the virus is injected directly into the blood stream. Nothing like this is going to happen during a blowjob.

You're not going to become infected from a blowjob. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. Unless you're in the habit of repeatedly punching a person in the mouth before they blow you, there could not possibly be enough blood present to even be a theoretical risk. As Andy already told you, not one person has ever been infected through getting blown and you're not going to be the first. You got your dick sucked - get over it.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER A BLOWJOB, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:43:36 pm »
Ann & Andy thank you very much for the information.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:30:45 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found the exchanges to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:20 pm »
andy ann? this is from the cdc update a few months ago. what do you make of this please? Oral Sex and HIV Risk June 2009

Oral Sex Is Not Risk Free

Like all sexual activity, oral sex carries some risk of HIV transmission when one partner is known to be infected with HIV, when either partner's HIV status is not known, and/or when one partner is not monogamous or injects drugs. Even though the risk of transmitting HIV through oral sex is much lower than that of anal or vaginal sex, numerous studies have demonstrated that oral sex can result in the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Abstaining from oral, anal, and vaginal sex altogether or having sex only with a mutually monogamous, uninfected partner are the only ways that individuals can be completely protected from the sexual transmission of HIV. However, by using condoms or other barriers between the mouth and genitals, individuals can reduce their risk of contracting HIV or another STD through oral sex.

Oral Sex is a Common Practice

Oral sex involves giving or receiving oral stimulation (i.e., sucking or licking) to the penis, the vagina, and/or the anus. Fellatio is the technical term used to describe oral contact with the penis. Cunnilingus is the technical term which describes oral contact with the vagina. Anilingus (sometimes called "rimming") refers to oral-anal contact. Studies indicate that oral sex is commonly practiced by sexually active male-female and same-gender couples of various ages, including adolescents. Although there are only limited national data about how often adolescents engage in oral sex, some data suggest that many adolescents who engage in oral sex do not consider it to be "sex;" therefore they may use oral sex as an option to experience sex while still, in their minds, remaining abstinent. Moreover, many consider oral sex to be a safe or no-risk sexual practice. In a national survey of teens conducted for The Kaiser Family Foundation, 26% of sexually active 15- to 17-year-olds surveyed responded that one "cannot become infected with HIV by having unprotected oral sex," and an additional 15% didn't know whether or not one could become infected in that manner.

Oral Sex and the Risk of HIV Transmission

The risk of HIV transmission from an infected partner through oral sex is much less than the risk of HIV transmission from anal or vaginal sex. Measuring the exact risk of HIV transmission as a result of oral sex is very difficult. Additionally, because most sexually active individuals practice oral sex in addition to other forms of sex, such as vaginal and/or anal sex, when transmission occurs, it is difficult to determine whether or not it occurred as a result of oral sex or other more risky sexual activities. Finally, several co-factors may increase the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex, including: oral ulcers, bleeding gums, genital sores, and the presence of other STDs. What is known is that HIV has been transmitted through fellatio, cunnilingus, and anilingus.

Other STDs Can Also Be Transmitted From Oral Sex

In addition to HIV, other STDs can be transmitted through oral sex with an infected partner. Examples of these STDs include herpes, syphilis, gonorrhea, genital warts (HPV), intestinal parasites (amebiasis), and hepatitis A.

Oral Sex and Reducing the Risk of HIV Transmission The consequences of HIV infection are life-long. If treatment is not initiated in a timely manner, HIV can be extremely serious and life threatening. However, there are steps you can take to lower the risk of getting HIV from oral sex.

Generally, the use of a physical barrier during oral sex can reduce the risk of transmission of HIV and other STDs. A latex or plastic condom may be used on the penis to reduce the risk of oral-penile transmission. If your partner is a female, a cut-open condom or a dental dam can be used between your mouth and the vagina. Similarly, regardless of the sex of your partner, if your mouth will come in contact with your partner's anus, a cut-open condom or dental dam can be used between your mouth and the anus.

At least one scientific article has suggested that plastic food wrap may be used as a barrier to protect against herpes simplex virus during oral-vaginal or oral-anal sex. However, there are no data regarding the effectiveness of plastic food wrap in decreasing transmission of HIV and other STDs in this manner and it is not manufactured or approved by the FDA for this purpose.

Last Modified: June 3, 2009 Last Reviewed: June 3, 2009 Content Source: Divisions of HIV/AIDS Prevention National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA

800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) TTY: (888) 232-6348, 24 Hours/Every Day - cdcinfo@cdc.gov

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 06:58:09 pm »
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117

Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 07:02:43 pm »
Rapid all of those reports are old ? that reports i posted was new ? what do you make of it

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:21 pm »
That report was not new. Peer review is never reliable and the oral sex studies that have been done between serodiscordant couple proves that HIV is not transmitted via oral sex. Saliva has over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibit HIV transmission.

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 07:16:15 pm »
Thank you. I just have this fear in me. have not had sex in about five years. Because of this whole HIV thing Was crazy to have this girl at a bar give me a blow job. Was thinking its only a blow job but when it was over i just started thinking and now im freaked out will never never happen again.

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 08:22:26 am »
thomashopper in your new infected thread says he got infected through oral. why would he he lie? im gonna go crazy waiting to get tested

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 09:54:04 am »
gota,

Go crazy all you want, but don't think you'll be permitted to use this forum as a place to go on and on about it.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

I deleted a post you left in someone else's thread. Another posting guideline states:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:55:58 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 07:52:36 am »
ann i am sorry. i will wait for the 6 week mark and go for a test. in my head there is that what if that is scaring the hell out of me

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 08:23:21 am »
As long as you reported accurately about your activities and you haven't had unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse you are going to test negative.

We're not interested in addressing each and every article or report you come up with. We know that receiving oral is absolutely NOT a risk for transmission. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 09:39:01 am »
Andy Ann I have to test for piece of mind I had a test at 27 days it was - it was a rapid clearview complete HIV blood test she said 95% reliable at 25 days is this correct  she had a chart and at 3 months it was 99 or 98 reliable

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 03:12:21 pm »
You can test anytime and as often as you like. The results are going to be negative everytime because you didn't have a risk. Period.

And if you continue to come back here with more ins and outs of your fears and tests for this non-risk incident, well you are just going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site for 28 days.

Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline gotaknow

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 07:27:13 pm »
RapidRod can we talk i know you know a lot about this stuff i wanted to ask you a ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 07:29:37 pm »
Not about this non risk issue. If you have another issue you can post your question in this thread.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.