Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:53:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 652
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 626
Total: 627

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Positive Nov. 4th / What Now?  (Read 5560 times)

Offline Lobster1

Tested Positive Nov. 4th / What Now?
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:24:16 am »
Tested positive Nov. 4th.  Went in to have spot on penis checked b/c it was irratated, and they recommened HIV test.  Came up positive.  I had first appt. at Docter at Wash. U. in St. Louis, and they did some blood work.  Going back on Jan. 14.  Worst part is I believe this occurred b/c I was sloppy at work, and didn't pay attention when being stuck with a drug users needle.  2 different occassions once i thought back on it.  After testing positive I remembered one time I saw blood after being stuck, but got busy and just forgot about it.  I've also fought with people and gotten blood on me.  I know stupid for not getting checked after these events or seeking treatment.  But after 10yrs on the job you tend to blow it off, and now this. 

I guess my question is since i can't prove it happen on the job i'm wanting to keep this private now.  I read alot about how things have gotten worse for people after speaking of their HIV infection.  So, i can't take chance of even more stress at work and possibly loosing insurance i got through work.  What are chances work finds out?  I'm not a nurse, but do work for the city.  Also, have unprotected with gf several times a week.  She tested negative the first time, but have to check back in 3 months.  What is chance she will stay negative. 

Any help and answers would be great.  Thanks.

Offline tednlou2

Re: Tested Positive Nov. 4th / What Now?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 12:39:28 am »
I was just reading that many healthcare workers never report needle sticks.  A doctor who answers questions on thebody.com got HIV from a needle stick.  My sister-in-law just did a course of PEP cause she got stuck with needle from woman HIV poz with very high viral load.  She goes for her 3 month test next month. 

I'm pretty sure about when I was infected.  I wish I had known more about PEP back then.  I don't think most even know what it is.  I didn't.  I constantly wonder whether I could have prevented my HIV if I had gotten PEP right away. 

I wish you all the best.  I do believe you should think very long and hard about who you tell.  On one hand, I think if we all talked about it would make the virus less of a stigma.  However, I know we live in the real world. 

About your girlfriend--  receptive partners are at much higher risk.  Vaginal sex is less risky than anal.  I hope you are now using protection.  Chances are she'll be negative, but you never know.  If you have a very high viral load, it is more likely. 

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »
hi lobster.

though the picture may be looking a little rough right now, welcome. you found a good place for info & support.

firstly, have you routinely been screened for hiv in the past? was your recent diagnosis made on a single test result or confirmed by western blot? it's really important that the wb be done, as the other testing can give false poz results. also, did you get other std testing to rule out other potential causes of your penis irritation?

regarding your job, you're right...without having properly & timely reporting and treating for the needle sticks in the past, your employer would likely deny any responsibility in the event that you really are poz. an aside, disclosure is a personal thing, so there's no need to worry about your employer knowing anything.

anyway, definitely make sure that all of the necessary testing was in fact done to qualify your "poz" status. and as ted said, make sure your sex is protected sex. good luck & keep us posted.

max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline Lobster1

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »
I think it was the elisa / and western blot they used.  The spot on my penis was said to of been caused from it getting irrated.  possible from sex b/c gf and i never used protection.  And as of sex now, it's been over month.  She is concerned, and says just doens't have on her mind.  I understand, but hurts inside that i never know if she will be sexual with me again.  I'll tell you guys the day just does not shine as bright as it used to.  If i didn't have her dont' know what i would do.  But do miss how close we were, and now it appears gone.  I've broke down several times over the past month, and no it's not the end of those moods.   Pretty much in the past i always felt i had everything, and now nothing matters any longer.  Thanks for the info. guys.  take care.

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:36:44 pm »
hey again lobster.

ok, so if it was both the elisa/wb combo that you tested poz on, then your diagnosis is likely the real deal. but, you need to know for certain that they were both run. i'd recommend a phone call to your provider to confirm this, rather than going on speculation. it's a critically important detail and could significantly change the equation if the wb hasn't been done yet. it sounds like you're rightfully concerned about your gf's status given the unprotected sex. but again, in order to justify concern for her potential exposure status, you've got to be 100% sure of your own.

if in the worst case, you are poz, don't give up on life or yourself....everything in life still does matter. you can get through this. just take life one day at a time & prioritize. make your call and let us know the outcome.

hang in there man... either way, it's all going to be okay.

ps: do you know exactly what the next testing that you'll be getting on 1/14 is for?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:44:06 pm by max123 »
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:45 pm »
There are lots of couples, both straight and gay, where one is poz and the other one not. Take things one day at a time. Check your numbers, make sure you have a doctor that has knowledge and experience treating HIV.

LINK:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/11/30/hiv.aids.couples.relationships/index.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.