Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:34:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 325
Total: 327

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Story so far...  (Read 6050 times)

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
The Story so far...
« on: February 12, 2007, 12:31:46 pm »
Well this has been going on but more updates are in the works.

I had a anal pap smear done and they found "something". So a piece was taken out to see if it was cancerous but so far no call yet. I pray it's nothing. (The after efect HURTS like HELL!)

While doing browsing on the internet, I find the Aaron Diamond AIDS research Center not far from my school. They are conducting a study with newly diagnosed and they give free blood tests.

My CD4 count dropped from 744 in Dec to 495. However the percetage went up slightly from 21% to 22% (Good or bad? Anyone let me know)

I didn;t get my VL yet but let's see what happens. A few people told me my T cell went down probably from stress and that it flucuates in everyone.

I will keep you guys posted and any new news!

Thanks!

Offline Central79

Re: The Story so far...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:37:16 pm »
Hey

Sorry your bum hurts. I hope you come back all clear - I'm certainly not looking forward to anal cancer screening becoming the standard of care in the UK!

I wouldn't worry about your drop in CD4. I had something similar on my last blood tests. It's basically because only a small fraction of your white blood cells are in your blood (and picked up in the blood test) at any one time. They move in and out of the blood depending on lots of things, and studies show they vary, normally, by up to 40%.

Your percentage is good. It's basically the proportion of your white blood cells that are CD4. If CD4 cells move in/out of the blood they do it with all the other WBCs. So if the % stays the same, it means that that has happened, rather than HIV clobbering a whole lot of them. If CD4 % decreases, it's down to HIV activity.

Hope you get better soon.

Matt x.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 01:07:21 am »
Well this has been going on but more updates are in the works.

I had a anal pap smear done and they found "something". So a piece was taken out to see if it was cancerous but so far no call yet. I pray it's nothing. (The after efect HURTS like HELL!)

Hi, we applaud you for your courage in getting an anal pap smear done. It's something alot of people avoid for fear or other reasons ...We also pray it's "nothing" honey, or nothing serious. Whatever the case may be you should know that Doctor Goldstone http://www.thebody.com/bios/sgoldstone.html has an oustanding reputation as a leading authority on all things anal-medical so keep that in your mental "file".

In the Living With HIV forum there's a somewhat long thread but it might be of interest to you. It's called "Damn HPV" http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=6391.0

Alex
allopathicholistic
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 09:09:11 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:07:21 am »
Hey NewYork,

I wouldn't panic from one test although I do also feel stress can greatly contribute to a drop.  My largest drop from 627 to 409 occured during a stress peak of 2 months.

Your percent went up by a point so that's good.   No major change.

I'm glad you brought up this topic.   I see two other people gave you links to some information about anal pap smears.  Honestly, I wasn't aware of these myself until I came across this thread yesterday
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=6391.0

The thread I gave you is indirectly related with information about anal pap smears.   

Your counts sound good thus far, but I wouldn't base anything on one set.   You should have a few to determine where you are and what is your doctor saying?   

Hope I was of some help.

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.