Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:04:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 688
Total: 688

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Having skin problems with HIV. Not on meds, cells around 600.  (Read 12869 times)

Offline lifer

Having skin problems with HIV. Not on meds, cells around 600.
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:42:16 am »
hi guys.

just wanted your expertise regarding this matter. im not on meds my health is pretty stable tcells around 600 and yet im experiencing a lot of skin problems especially around the jaw area and right where i shave. i have always been an acne prone person but now with hiv it seems that it just became worse and worse and it also seems like its taking a really long time for the red marks to fade which is really annoying. im seeing a derm in two weeks but just wanted to know if anyone of you have been or is going through this and maybe knows what to do with this problem. maybe its also because of all the greasy food ive been eating lately but like i said it has never been this bad.

i hope some of you can give me any advice on this problem.

thanks in advance. xoxo.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: Having skin problems with HIV. Not on meds, cells around 600.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 09:53:05 am »
Hi lifer,

I was asking myself such questions, and maybe this link might interest you:

Acne Is Not a Stigma of HIV Infection

A Review of 36 Patients:
http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=DRM2005211002114

Older studies might come to a different conclusion

Example:
http://www.csu.med.cuhk.edu.hk/hkaids/research/b05.htm

Others reading:

What Causes Acne?

The exact cause of acne is unknown, but doctors believe it results from several related factors. One important factor is rising hormone levels.

Factors That Can Contribute to Acne or Make It Worse
Stress, particularly severe or prolonged emotional tension, may aggravate the disorder.

In addition, certain drugs, including androgens, lithium, and barbiturates, are known to cause acne. Greasy cosmetics may alter the cells of the follicles and make them stick together. Friction caused by leaning on or rubbing the skin or the pressure from bike helmets, backpacks, or tight collars can contribute to or worsen acne. Also, environmental irritants (such as pollution and high humidity), squeezing or picking at blemishes, and hard scrubbing of the skin can make acne worse.

Source: http://www.mdchoice.com/Pt/consumer/acne.asp

Note (non scientific points):

I went though these reading and others few days ago when I got 1-2 pimples after shaving.
But they are gone now (around 10 days).
I believe they was just a consequence of shaving. As poz, I have pay attention to them. I wouldn't have before.
I can imagine that HIV might make them a bit longer to recover (but I don't know), but the most important is that they are gone.
I also have read many time that taking vitamins is helping preventing acne.
Finally, I believe that with your CD4 (enough to fix such small issue), and as in more your pimple are located in the location where is going the blade, it make sense to think that they will go sooner or later and not hiv related.

Finally, I got a friend having problems with acne. Since he drink more water, he goes better. It also seems that olive oil (to shave !) is helpful:
http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/3745/1/Daves-Shave-Tips.html

Electric rasors seems also a better choice.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 01:20:31 pm »
I would just add that the soap you use can also be irritating to you skin.

For all my life I used a basic soap, Ivory in my youth and then Pure and Natural. After sero conversion I eventually develop what i would only describe as incurable jock Itch and all these small pimples, whiteheads, on my arms. No amount of moisturizer or lamisil helped stop these issues.

I finally switch to Dove's unscented for sensitive skin, and what a difference! The lamisil is now working! and my arms are now 90% better. And I don't use any moisturizer anymore.

I don't know if it will help you all the way, but you might want to give it a try to see if it helps at all.

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 01:44:47 pm »
I agree with you risred1.

I also have noticed with anti-wrinkle cream. But if you put them at night and have a fan, its fine.
Seems that the pimple comes only in the absence of aeration (especially if the humidity level in the air is high), so the cream stay longer humid and cause this problem. But its not related to having or not HIV on my own experience.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 04:12:26 pm »
Seborrheic dermatitis is the most comment skin issue for HIVers.  If you don't know what it is, look it up.  It effects 85% of us, so you'll most likely deal with it at some point whether you like it or not.  In almost any setting/gathering of HIVers I notice it all around the room.  Unless it's very pronounced many HIVers seem to not even know that they have it, or prefer to not think about it... not sure which it is.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:11:08 pm »
philly267 is right on the money. I have been having occasional bouts of breakouts within the year and it puzzled me for months. I only managed to treat it very successfully (overnight results) recently using a hydrocortisone cream, DermAid by Ego Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd http://www.egopharm.com/Products.asp?RangeID=21.

There are some pretty depressing stuff/studies on Seborrheic dermatitis and the indicative consequences of lifespans on PWHA. I need to find out more before I can take additional steps to stay more healthy.

From what I have read, certain yeast infections and B vitamin deficiency are major causes. Nutrients play a major part in the treatment of Seborrhheic Dermatitis through controlling infections, preventing recurrence and supporting skin health. Natural Garlic and Oregano are known for their powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and are therefore used in the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis. Inefficient carbohydrates and fatty-acid metabolism are thought to be one of the causative factors. These problems are addressed in the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis with Vitamin B Complex 100. Presently, I also take 1000mg of Bioflavonoids from GNC daily. Anti-oxidants may be important in the treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis. Selenium, Vitamin E and Vitamin A are antioxidants for healthy skin and hair. Essential fatty acids found in Flaxseed help the healing of skin lesions. I just started on 200mg of COQ10 daily to augment my already long list of supplementation. It's pretty early to tell if it will work.

I will keep you guys updated.
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline cityboy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:43:19 pm »
Philly is correct.  This is probably seborrheic dermatitis.  It is most common in areas where there is hair or close to hair, like in your beard, over your eyebrows around your hairline.  It usually  breaks out under one eye repeatedly.  There are some pimples that you get and they fill with a clear fluid and if drained fill up several times and can leave a scar if you are too agressive with them.    I deal with this daily  and after 3 derms got a regimen down from 2 that works well.  There is a Clarifying Face Wash from Canada called "Rosula" which I use daily.  It is for seborrheic dermatitis, acne vulagaris and roscea.  Amazing product! It is the best I have ever used for this.  I would also recommend Clenia.  This is a sulfur based emoliient which is a drying agent.  Very good.  In an emergency, if you have a bad breakout and have some place important to go, there is a very strong product called Protopic, read the warnings on it carefully before using.  I would recommend to use only as a last resort.  But it kicks the shit out of it.

Offline isitthatbad

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:55:56 pm »
Hi lifer i too have become prone to constant skin irritation i get red spots on my chest around my nipples on my stomach and on my arms and shoulders i said to my GP its since ive acquired HIV he says its not as my bloods are good meaning i have a strong immune system. I spoke with my dietician and she said she would look into zince supplements but i will speak with my clinical nurse and my consultant

Offline Morton Salt

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 06:03:44 pm »
I HAVE THE SOLUTION.

I suffered for years with little white blisters that popped up about 2 days after i shaved. Redness, sore, the whole works.

Buy yourself some TEND SKIN.  apply it after you shave, problem solved.

Let us know how it works. 

~Morton Salt
'
"IM THE KING OF THE SALTS"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.