Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 12:58:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37681
  • Latest: huangDi
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773466
  • Total Topics: 66368
  • Online Today: 249
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 237
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New positive  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Pirata

New positive
« on: May 06, 2019, 07:35:22 pm »
Hello everyone, I have been reading the forum for about 3 weeks and it has been a great help for me. I am going to start by letting you know that I was diagnosed as HIV positive on February 5th. It was a big surprise for me, because I was not having that much sex in my life. I was in a path of changing many things on my life  and sex was one of them. The diagnosis was very hard also because I am 50 years old and during my life I have seen people and a very close friend died of AIDS, so I had those pictures on my mind. When the doctor saw me, he said it was a manageable disease, but still I had those references on my mind.  I did my labs and my VL was 121,000 copies/mL and CD4 of 100. The doctor prescribes me Byktarvy  and after a month I had my second test results VL 155 and CD4 140, he also prescribed an antibiotic to avoid opportunistic infections. I had my appointment with him almost a week after my blood tests, and he told me at that point I probably was already undetectable and that was going to allow my CD4 count to get better. Even my CD4 count was low, I never got extremely sick, just a cold right after my diagnosis.
It has been a process, I was afraid about the impact that this virus was going to have in my daily life. I consider myself very active, go to gym 5 days a week, work a full time job, walk my dogs twice a day and go for long walks with them during the weekend. The good news is that nothing of that has changed, I still have the energy to do that. I haven’t had any side effects, and just today I was thinking that I have started to feel better about myself. I didn’t blame any body for what happened, I took the responsibility for my choices and for the very first moment, I decided to focus on my health.
As I said at the beginning, reading your posts has helped me a lot, so thanks everybody and I will keep you posted on my new results Odín June. Hugs

Offline harleymc

Re: New positive
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 12:16:08 am »
Hello
 welcome to the world of wonder medications.

I'm 57 and unfortunately arthritis is taking it's toll on my activity levels but I can still cycle.

Keeping active, and your dogs will keep you in a great space mentally, so keep doing the things you enjoy.

Hugs back to you    :P

Offline Phantom2019

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 03:22:19 am »
Tq 4 the sharing
I was diagnosed hiv+ on 31.3.19..
Now almost 2 week taking arv...unfortunately I hv some side effects ..my cd4 68....tomorow gonna see doctor discuss bout the rash maybe bcoz the antibiotic...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 12:20:28 pm »
Hiya Pirata,

Welcome and, glad to hear that reading the forum has helped.

Sounds like the Biktarvy is working well for you, as one would expect and you have not allowed your HIV status to change your daily life. :) Keep rocking on and, we are here for you if you need us.

Best, Jim

P.S

walk my dogs twice a day

I love dogs, have a border-collie myself. What kind of dogs do you have? 
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Pirata

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:05:58 pm »
Hey Jim, I really try to continue living my life as I was before, sometimes is not easy, specially when you start thinking about the wrong choices you have made, but I try no to focus on the past, this is my present and my future depends on it, so I need to do my best now. I have a mix (black lab and German shepherd) and another one  mix (pit and Dawson) they are really great!

Offline Pirata

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:09:48 pm »
Thanks phantom and Harley. Panthom, hope you are doing better man, I hope it’s going to get better through the time.
Harley that’s nice that you keep being active we old people have to work harder on that but we can do this

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.