Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:56:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 289
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Best Friend tested positive - advice on how to help him?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline 123kml

Best Friend tested positive - advice on how to help him?
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:55:11 am »
My best friend tested positive this week and I am worried for him. He lives across the country and kind of is a shy guy. Before his decision to get tested, during and after the test I was in contact with him and he sobbed for a long time after the positive result. Over the past few days I have checked in with him breifly and he seems very, very sad. I noticed too that he is no longer on-line like he used to be and he is avoiding calls, and generally seems very depressed. I know it's only been a few days. But I am worried for him.

I work with people with AIDS in my daily job. This job isn't really helping me help my friend. How can I support my friend?  I know he needs to go to a doctor for HIV labs and sounds like he needs meds soon (he had an infection before the HIV test ) but he is not at that point with himself. I know he needs time but as a friend I feel responsible for informing him, supporting him and reaching out...but given the nature of where I am coming from I don't want to be "pushy" and push him away. Any advice?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:03:56 am by 123kml »

Offline komnaes

Re: Best Friend tested positive - advice on how to help him?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:27:40 am »
It doesn't sound like you can do much my friend. Many of us at the initial stage of diagnosis needed the time to deal with the shock and in my case I did go into hiding a bit for a few weeks. Actually I haven't met anyone who were not "depressed" during the first couples of weeks. While you don't wanna appear "pushy", perhaps you can just send him a daily SMS to make sure that you're there and ready to talk when he feels like. In that case he still has the space but is assured that you're ready when he's.

Unless you feel that there is an immediate concern of intervention, you do need to relax a bit too. When he's started to communicate then you can start working with him on finding local support groups, etc.

Wish you and your friend the best, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:24:52 pm »
It's good for him to know that you're still there for him. Since he may not feel like talking on the phone right now, an e mail just saying that wouldn't hurt. And an old fashioned simple card via snail mail wouldn't hurt either. Just something that says that you're thinking about him and how much his friendship means to you.

There's a fine line to be maintained between expressing interest and concern (good) and hovering (not good).  And make sure that your conversation with him is not always about his diagnosis and HIV.
You can also ask him if there is anything you can do to be helpful. An occasional question can be a good way of getting him to talk. And remember, this is still very, very new for him and he needs time to get adjusted to having HIV in his life.

You maybe feeling anxious too. With regard to that, keep in mind that as long as he has a doctor who's monitoring his health your friend is not going to suddenly fall through a black hole.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline 123kml

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice. It's helpful to hear and I am taking what you both say very much to heart. Thanks again.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:45:05 am »
What a friend you are.

I agree with Andy's suggestion to send an e-mail. May I suggest in that e-mail you include the site address for AIDSmeds unless he's already aware of it. In those first few weeks and months, I wish I'd known of the site. 

He'll come around. That first punch to the gut is a doozy. Takes a wobbly while to get back up.
Em

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.