Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:47:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773194
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 268
Total: 271

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Made it home  (Read 19336 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Made it home
« on: August 03, 2015, 09:54:24 pm »
Hubby,Wee One, and I made it home about 9pm. Had to stop and pick up meds, milk, and ketchup - staples of life :-).

Despite the scorching heat, we had such a wonderful time catching up with old friends and meeting new ones. Special thanks goes out to all those who simply loved all over Mini - you know who you are.

Safe travels for those still making the trek home. Drop a line here and let us know you made it. Looking forward to AMG 2016 in Philly (hint, hint)  ;)
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Lou-ah-vull

Re: Made it home
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 10:29:06 pm »
There is about ten of us left and leaving tomorrow.  We sure enjoyed seeing all three of you again and I so appreciate your organizing our "meet and greet" steamboat cruise.  Thanks again for being such a special part of our annual gathering.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline initforlife

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 07:43:44 am »
Glad you made it home safe!  Mini is a sweet girl . I wished I could have spent more time with y'all  maybe next time.. it was a pleasure meeting y'all!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:44:25 pm »
I arrived home about an hour ago.  Thanks to all for another uplifting and enjoyable gathering.  The weather was hot and humid but the crowd more than made up for the uncomfortable weather.  It is always bittersweet to say "goodbye" as I did with the remaining group last night....but I know we will meet again.  Next year...somewhere (hopefully a bit cooler....)

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 11:34:18 am »
It was so great seeing you all again and to see what a beautiful young lady Mini has grown into.

As always these gathering end all too soon.

To all you wonderful guys, I miss you all and I had a wonderful time chatting and catching up.

Betty it was such a pleasure spending time with you, especially our night at the Irish Bar...what a fun night that was.... ;D

Aroha to you all
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »
Glad everyone seems to have made it home safe and sound.  I had a great time in Memphis and it seems we all did.  We always have a terrific group of people and this was no exception.  No attitude, there rarely is and everyone got along particularly well.

Memphis had much to offer.  First off thanks Gary for your great talk at our memorial, you always give us all so much to consider year round.

The first full day many of us went to the National Civil Rights museum which was so well done and educated us even further regarding the awful period of slavery beginning in the early 1600's in this nation and in the western world.  We also toured the Lorraine motel and saw the spot from which Martin Luther King was assassinated. 

The next day many of us took a nice boat ride down the enchanting Mississippi and learned of the history of the mighty river that divides the United States and the huge role the city of Memphis played in it.  A nice breeze in a warm town felt good as well.

A trip to the Pyramid brought lots of laughs and going up to the top, Memphis' equivalent of the Windows on the world was nice as well.

Finally five of us drove (thanks Henry) out to Graceland.  I grew up with Elvis' songs and movies and it brought back memories indeed.  Well worthwhile.

Beale st., its music, electricity and food was lots of fun as well.  I don't eat a lot of ribs year round but Memphis does them good and the brisket and all foods were tasty, finger lickin' good you might say.

Someone asked if I would go back and I would but coming up on age 60 one never knows where the journey of life will take you.  We have enjoyed and fallen in love with every city we have been to but as of yet have not returned.  I think that has much more to do with the number of great towns and other choices still on the board that we have not seen yet.

So it is true that I and others may never pass that way again but no matter, a great time was had by all it is safe to say.

So long Memphis, Tenn. and thanks again to each and everyone who attended for making this a great trip once again.  No disappointments here.

Hugs, and next year in Jerusalem as the saying goes.  Well, not quite there for us but somewhere.  Stay safe, healthy and happy and may all good things come your way good folks.

Hugs and love,

Jody :) :) :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:44 pm »

I had a wonderful time in Memphis , my first AMG that I have not been

drunk half the time  :o

Meeting Mini was wondeful , she reminds  me of myself when I was that age .
       I also met several new friends and a few I've know from the forums for years , all super nice .

You all feel like family  to me  :)     I had a nice ride home , slight detour , a bridge was missing 10 miles from Poplar Bluff !    The nice lady at the gas station told me about a " secret " way around  :. Made it home in 3-1/2 hours  :)

GOD bless you all ,   The joy lasts all year , till we meet again .

Love to all , Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »
I arrived home last night, tired, but very happy to have enjoyed these days with this special family of ours.

Mini has blossomed. It was great to see her again.

Betty, it was wonderful to get to meet you and to spend time with you.

BIG HUGS to everyone.

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 12:30:21 am »
yup  made it  home  as well  great  time..fun  folks as usual   always amazed  at  how  quickly  young ones  grow.....Miriam is a full  grown  teen...smart  and talented...  great  food  fun  touristing  and even the  pool  was  good time..
unusual  this year  flights  were all  easy  and  early   got there  early  got  home  early as well.... Bette  was a real  trouper...fun and game  to  try  things...pleasure to actually meet

start  thinking about  next  year...need to get Dallas on the  list  this time

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Jody

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:30:52 pm »
Mini has indeed grown into a lovely young lady.  Her upbringing by her great parents is I am sure a major part of that.  And Mini is a talented young artist, her drawing on the paper cloth at the restaurant on Beale st. was very good.

It was great to meet Mark from Connecticut for the first time, he is a kind and gentle soul.

We also met Betty for the first time and she has a tough time walking a getting around but never complains and is a real trooper and a great lady.

I hope everyone has great memories of AMG '15 and may all have a great year ahead.  Hope to see even more folks next year, some old faces who could not attend and maybe a new face or two.

Jody :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 10:26:06 am »
I had the most fantastic time, I am so grateful I was able to take part.  But it's like it only lasted a second, then was over.  Everyone I met were incredible. 

Mini has grown!  She's a beautiful, respectful and sweet young lady. It was nice meeting her parents as well.

I appreciate the kind words, but it was all you guys that made it possible for me to get around, and made me feel a real part of.  It was wonderful meeting all of you, I could say something special about each one of you but I have to go to work.  So nice to meet people I've interacted with for years on this forum. 

Jan, it was an honor meeting you also and yes, the Irish Pub evening was a blast.  Of course I wish you and Jen safe travels.

Oh, and thanks Jeff for letting me share your room. I think we made good roommates!

Again, thanks everyone for making everything possible.  I could go on saying thanks forever, I had such a good time.  I love all you guys and if any of you ever come to Southern Michigan or Northern Indiana, whoever comes has a place to stay.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 09:09:59 pm »
Ok, now you all have gotten me all choked up. Meanies!  :-*

33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 09:29:04 pm »
What a blessing it was for us all to get together! Another AMG memory to cherish. I think Jody has done a great job describing our trip but I'll also paraphrase my POZ article from years ago by saying we had 5 nights together, but suddenly I needed another 5. I hope I didn't sling snot on anyone that last morning when I got a little choked up!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »
Cr8ton, I also needed more time with everyone.  It was so wonderful meeting you and Santi. It went way fast and I miss everyone terribly.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Mini

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46:20 pm »
It was really fun to do everything with everybody. I liked going to the zoo with Santi and Creighton. I enjoyed meeting Ms. Jen, Ms. Betty, and anybody else that I met there. Our hotel wasn't the greatest and it never had any muffins, but neither did the restaurant. The pool smelled like the elephant cages. Your hotel was much better, at least the lobby was because that's all I ever saw.

The boat ride was pretty interesting. Couldn't really feel it moving much. My favorite part was going to the end and yelling, "Don't let go, Jack!". That's the only part of the movie I know about.

From now on, I will definitely be aware of what ketchup I eat. Any taste tester volunteers? 

Glad everyone made it home safe. Hope everyone comes to next year's meeting. I'm hoping for Philadelphia in the fall so it won't be so hot. Mom said David lives there so maybe we can have the meet and greet at his house. :-)

Miss Mini

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 04:28:19 pm »
I've been very busy since returning from Memphis -- neglecting to post in here......

Mini -- it was wonderful to see you again.  You certainly have grown into a terrific young lady since I last met you in Boston!!  I will never forget Mom's face when she tasted your "ketchup"!

As always -- seeing Jan was a pleasure.  Her smiling face is always uplifting.

Betty, it was fantastic to finally meet you.  I hope things are going well with you, in regards to our little chat at the airport!!  Hugs......

Miss P -- meeting you was great fun.  It's so nice to finally have a real-world perspective on you, it is sure to give me a different take on your postings.  And Wumpy was sooo wrong -- your feet weren't cloven!!   ;)

Another wonderful AMG dinner and great conversation with Gary -- we are truly meat - atarians......

Seeing everyone else, Tim, Henry, John, Santi, Creighton, Jennifer, Mark, Mark, Jody, Nick, Carl, Init and anyone my old brain is forgetting right now...... these annual visits just fill me with gratitude that lasts all year.

Hugs to you all!!
Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 08:17:27 am »
Mike it was wonderful meeting you also! Thanks for the chat, and yes, I'm doing better.  Hugs back atcha!

Betty

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 10:32:04 am »
I was broker than broke this year.  Had very little money to go out and "do" anything, and by most people's thinking probably should have bagged the whole idea.

But I am so glad that I didn't

Just getting to sit down and share a meal or a few drinks with these folks - it was totally worth it and then some.

But note to self:  Don't ever drive completely across Tennessee again. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 10:31:18 pm »
Thumperlicious, you know I love you dearly, but I crossed 3 STATES to get to AMG - with a moody teenager, a depressed husband, no cruise control, in a heat wave, with hot flashes, no hair dryer, and NO MUFFINS!

Yep...worth every second.  :-*
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline CD4_800

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2015, 08:26:21 pm »
What is AMG?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 08:59:33 pm »
What is AMG?

AMG stands for Aids Meds Gathering . The original name for this site was aids meds so we keep the name . You can read about AMG under forums gatherings in off topic . We pick a city and meet there once a year … this last year was Memphis and it was well attended and we had a really nice time . We eat drink and eat and drink and see the sights .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline CD4_800

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 09:29:05 pm »
Oh okay thanks ....I was reading the different threads but I couldn't really find exactly what it was and google was no help since AMG is also a Mercedes lol

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.