Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:38:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 669
Total: 669

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Antibiotics prophylaxis?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Loa111

Antibiotics prophylaxis?
« on: October 21, 2019, 05:38:17 am »
For those of us who are either on currently or have been on prophylaxis antibiotics...

I wonder is there extra strain on the body when we are taking them for long periods of time?.. close to 18 months for me, and probably at least another 6+ months before I can get off them.

Also wondering would this daily antibiotic use cause long term resistance to antibiotics in us?

I know they're to prevent PCP when our CD4s are below 200... wondering do they stop other infections too?

I'm counting the days until I can get off the liquid aquotovone I'm still on. 10ml daily via a spoon, yuck! It's yellow too so if you spill a drop, it makes a terrible mess of clothes etc.

I'm sure I will feel even better when I get off them.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Antibiotics prophylaxis?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 07:18:43 am »
Hiya,

Bacteria becoming resistance more commonly is due to stopping antibiotics too soon allowing the remaining bacteria to become resistant also overprescribing and the usage in animals/food supply seems to play some role.

Although as for PCP prevention so far things have been going well, stain on the body maybe but only temporary so overall it seems to outway the mortality risk from PCP

Don't worry you will not be on the antibiotics forever. ;)

"Before the widespread use of PCP prophylaxis and antiretroviral therapy (ART), PCP occurred in 70% to 80% of patients with AIDS the course of treated PCP was associated with a 20% to 40% mortality rate in individuals with profound immunosuppression. Approximately 90% of PCP cases occurred in patients with CD4 T lymphocyte (CD4) cell counts <200 cells/mm3. Other factors associated with a higher risk of PCP in the pre-ART era included CD4 cell percentage <14%, previous episodes of PCP, oral thrush, recurrent bacterial pneumonia, unintentional weight loss, and higher plasma HIV RNA levels

The incidence of PCP has declined substantially with widespread use of PCP prophylaxis and ART; recent incidence among patients with AIDS in Western Europe and the United States is <1 case per 100 person-years. Most cases of PCP now occur in patients who are unaware of their HIV infection or are not receiving ongoing care for HIV, and in those with advanced immunosuppression (i.e., CD4 counts <100 cells/mm3).19

https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/4/adult-and-adolescent-opportunistic-infection/321/pneumocystis-pneumonia

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/about/how-resistance-happens.html
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:29:01 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:54 am »
For those of us who are either on currently or have been on prophylaxis antibiotics...

I wonder is there extra strain on the body when we are taking them for long periods of time?.. close to 18 months for me, and probably at least another 6+ months before I can get off them.
I had PCP pneumonia twice and nearly died twice. I took Bactrim for 10 years before my cd4s stayed over 250. I had to eventually take the antibiotic on a reduced schedule (M-W-F) because I was starting to have a mild allergic reaction. (2 decades later I took bactrim this summer for an infection and sadly had a severe allergic reaction and had to change to cipro for 2 months)

Trust me, having been in the hospital on my 36th and 38th birthdays with PCP, hardly able to breathe, with the doctors telling me that I probably wouldn't see the morning of my birthdays, no matter what issues you're having with the meds, it's a LOT better than dying, or nearly dying, from aids-related pneumonia.

Hang in there, things will get better - sometimes it just takes some time. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:52:07 pm »
Take your potion in the nude.

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 04:38:38 pm »
 Loa111,

I was on antibiotics for almost two years and I had exactly the same concerns which I used to discuss with my doctor each time I see him. I was so worried that my body will become weak after stopping it. No only, but also getting used to it since the usage of prolonged time.

Each time, the doctor stressed on the fact that once you stop the antibiotic you will be fine because your body ( CD4 ) count will be ready to defence any potential bacterial harm to your system ( Normally PCP and Urine ).

I would really advise you not to worry about it, just take it on time and make sure you take it correctly as prescribed.

Light all the way,
Prince

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:21 pm »
Thank you everyone.
Yes taking my stuff daily and hopefully another 6 months will see me CD4 strong enough to get off it...fingers crossed.

Had a quick appt at the clinic today for my Flu Shot and second pneumonia vaccine shot. Hopefully I'll feel ok this evening as I did feel a bit funny after the shots today.
Happy to have my flu shot now. :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.