Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:02:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 146
Total: 146

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When to Tell???????  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Desertguy

When to Tell???????
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »
I have started seeing a lady that is not HIV+, we have seen each other a few times & I like her.  So when do you tell that you have HIV???
I have told her I am doing an AIDS walk in Palm Springs & she doesn't seem to have a negative reaction to that.
I have dated a few woman that are + so no question on that.

"Puzzled in the Desert"

Offline wow1969

Re: When to Tell???????
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:46:49 pm »
this is a hard decision ... i would think you should tell her before you are intimate and when you realize that you want to continue seeing her ... i don't think you have to announce on the first date but it needs to be out in the open before either of you are emotionally vested

it could go something like this ... "i really like you and i want to continue seeing you. for us to move forward, there is something i need to tell you" ...

of course you have to tell her before you are intimate .... you can't control her reactions but you can control yours

it's just my opinion, ultimately, you have to make this decision

good luck and congrats on finding someone to spend time with :-)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:14:26 pm »
It definately is a hard decision. For me a good guage is by the 3rd of 4th date, by then things start to ratchet up emotionally, and typically you might have a decent handle on how the person is. But definately disclose BEFORE intimacy.

Keep us updated, we're pulling for you!

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:25:04 pm »
I have started seeing a lady that is not HIV+, we have seen each other a few times & I like her.  So when do you tell that you have HIV???
I have told her I am doing an AIDS walk in Palm Springs & she doesn't seem to have a negative reaction to that.
I have dated a few woman that are + so no question on that.

"Puzzled in the Desert"

I really do not have any experience with the issue because I have only dated positive women. 

When you say you like her do you mean you want a relationship with this woman or are you looking for a good time in the room with her?   Have to ask, you know the word "like" has many meanings when coming out of our mouth in reference to women.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline elf

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 02:40:29 am »
You may be lucky, women are more accepting of HIV+ people than males.  :(

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:51 am »
You may be lucky, women are more accepting of HIV+ people than males.  :(

My wife was diagnosed when she was 18.  She said she disclosed to all her boyfriends and they didn't have a problem with it.  I laughed when she told me the first thing out of their mouths was, "Are you going to be OK?"
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:57:44 pm »
Tell her before you have sex.   Anything more precise than that is up to you and how you feel about her. 

As many of us know, rejection does happen.   So, take it easy and make sure you've got good support.   If you have feelings for her, then try to learn how she feels about the concept of dating a poz guy.    If you think it's worth it, let her know.  But, whatever you do, don't let it go too long before you disclose.  It's a big issue.   There are a lot of people who feel it is a violation of trust not to disclose something like this once a relationship gets serious.
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline hivez

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:28:20 pm »
not to highjack the thread, but thanks for the advice. iIm in a similar situation and was going to post  the same question :)

Offline CallMeSid

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:57:17 pm »
I agree with the other respondents who endorsed telling her before you have sex.

I would encourage you to think about maybe telling her even before a hot and heavy make-out session.  Although you know and I know that she can't contract HIV from you via prolonged "French" kissing, SHE may not know that and that lack of knowledge may contribute to an unexpected (possibly unpleasant?) reaction on her part should you tell her about your status sometime after making out but before having sex.

While elf may be correct that ON AVERAGE women are more accepting of HIV+ people, that does not necessarily mean that THIS WOMAN will be accepting of a HIV+ sexual partner.  In the gay male community, I think it's common to at least assume it's possible that a new beau might be HIV+.  My impression is that in most segments of the heterosexual community, women who meet a new man don't usually ponder the possibility that he may be HIV+.

Some people find it helpful to sort of work HIV into the conversation, in a general sense, well prior the point of disclosure to sort of get a read on the other person's feelings/thoughts/comfort level on the topic.  You sharing the fact that you're doing an AIDS Walk is one way.  I know some people casually share a story about a friend who's HIV+ as a way of testing the waters before, eventually, disclosing their own status.  If, during the getting-to-know-you phase you and your new lady friend talk about past relationships, you might casually mention that one of your former girlfriends was HIV+.

Hope that helps.  Keep us posted.  Good luck!

~Sid
07/2006 HIV-negative
06/2007 HIV-positive
07/2007 CD4: 795 (40%), VL: <50
09/2007 CD4: 629 (43%), VL: 895  (~2 weeks after measles/mumps/rubella booster)
12/2007 CD4: 854 (45%), VL: <50
03/2008 CD4: 880 (45%), VL: 151
12/2008 CD4: 943 (46%), VL: 116
05/2009 CD4: 865 (44%)  VL: 107

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.