Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:27:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 295
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 266
Total: 267

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Are these symptoms?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline JTguy

Are these symptoms?
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:28:07 pm »
A little more than a month ago, I was a little foolish and had unprotected anal sex with two men who are a couple. I was the receptive partner, and they came inside me. I have been with them a few times before, but it had been a while since we 'met up'. They were negative then and I guess I assumed they still were, and they said they still were. I know you should never trust people you don't know too well, but anyway here is why I am worried:

About 2-3 weeks later I began to notice a rash on my inner right thigh near my groin. After looking up HIV rashes and all sorts of other conditions I was convinced it was jock itch as it looked mostly like jock itch. I have acne problems at times, and get them on my back as well as upper arms and sometimes it even shows up on my legs. I use Retin-A for my acne sometimes, and after first noticing that I had a pimple near my groin, I applied it there. Retin-A is pretty strong and is probably not a good idea to use it in such a sensitive area. After the pimple disappeared, it left the area slightly agitated. The skin in the area became dry and itched a little. I sweat sometimes at night, so I am wondering if the moisture combined with the dry and slightly agitated skin perhaps resulted in jock itch, as a few days later the rash appeared in that area.

I looked up info about jock itch and the rash appeared to look the same, although it was only on one side of my groin (where I put the Retin-A). One thing that bothers me though is that the rash never really itched.. It itched before the rash appeared and itched only a little after I started using Jock Itch creme. It's been about 2 weeks and the rash pretty much gone, though you can see where it was. Everyday it seems to be going away more and more.

Now, for the past 3 or 4 days I just haven't felt right. My throat started to tickle a little, and I feel clammy and sweaty sometimes, but aspirin has been helping. My throat isn't sore per say, but it feels like I have a slightly painful lump when I swallow occasionally. In other words, I've had worse sore throats/colds in my lifetime. My glands are not swollen (neck or groin), I don't have muscle aches or anything. I just feel not like myself.

My brother passed away this past January from congestive heart failure as a result of a virus. It's rare but happens. Ever since then I have become very cautious any time I feel like I am getting sick. I was tested in April and was negative (got tested for peace of mind).

I will be getting tested very soon again because of my foolish activities with these two guys. But in the meantime I am very worried because of that supposed 'jock itch' (which never itched terribly like most websites say jock itch does) and my recent ill feelings.

Would a rash appear so soon if indeed it was an HIV rash? Would the rash be in the area I described? I read online that mainly the HIV rash affects the chest, face, arms etc, but sometimes may affect the groin area.

I know the best thing I can do is just see a doctor or get tested but in the meantime, are the 'symptoms' that I am describing similar to what a recent infection with HIV would be? I don't have swollen glands, no thrush in the mouth, and the 'jock itch/rash' has appeared to be going away (slowly but surely). No headaches, no muscle aches. I do have loose stools, but it may be because I have been drinking a lot of fluids and not eating much since I have been worried. Anxiety affects one's appetite. Also I have recently stopped smoking marijuana which also affects one's appetite, so hopefully the loose stools/diarrhea is because of that.

I am very worried, and would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Are these symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »
OK,

As far as we're concerned the salient facts here are that you had unprotected receptive anal sex. This is most certainly a risk for HIV infection and you need to be tested 13 weeks from the date of the sexual encounters.

We don't discuss symptoms because many of the symptoms associated with acute HIV infection are indistinguishable from those caused by other infections. Additionally many people experience no symptoms at all during the acute phase of infection.

So the only reliable method of determining your HIV status is to test 13 weeks from the date of the presumed exposure.

That said, the rash often associated with HIV seroconversion illness is not itchy and is generalised (ie spread across the body) rather than being concentrated in a particular area.

Most people who do seroconvert (ie test positive for HIV) will do so 4-6 weeks after exposure. So, if you like, you can arrange a test at the 6 week mark. If that test result is negative then the probability of you testing negative at 13 weeks is quite good. Remember, that a 6 week negative result must be followed up with another test at 13 weeks.

When you do get tested for HIV you should talk to your doctor about being tested for other STIs such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia, syphilis and hepatitis B. These conditions are more prevalent and more infectious than HIV.

So to summarise; you were at risk and you need to get tested 13 weeks from the date of the unprotected sexual encounters. I'm sure I don't need to give you the speech about the importance of using condoms whenever you have anal or vaginal sex.

Keep us posted.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.