Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:00:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 379
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Recently Raped  (Read 4337 times)

Offline UNSURE1234

• Standard
Recently Raped
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »
Hi I need a few answers. I am female in a smaller urban area. I was recently anally raped. I was knocked unconscious so I have no way of knowing the horrible person or if a condom was used though i assume not. The rape crisis center said I had significant internal tearing. I was started on PEP at 58 hours. I have been taking it exactly as prescribed. I am a mess but I wanted just a few answers if anyone can help me please.

1.) Is fifty eight hours too late.. the doc said up to 72 hours but other places I saw 48. I didn't want to take it but he highly recommended it so I have been taking it exactly as he told me to.

2.) also he said to test at six weeks after the rape and then three months and then six months after the actual rape but on here it says after I finish PEP to start testing not before . I am so confused I just want some answers.

Thank you all  :-[

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Recently Raped
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:13:40 pm »
I am very sorry to hear that you have been subjected to such a terrible experience. I hope you are getting some supportive counseling to deal with the emotional aftereffect of what happened.

You've done exactly the right thing by going on to PEP. As long as it was begun within 48-72 hours after the risk is what is important. PEP has a good track record of preventing transmission when begun within that time frame.

As far as when you can test, you have to count from the time when the 28 day regimen has been completed. So you can test initially at 6 weeks after the completion of PEP. If as we hope you test negative at that point, then it is likely you will continue to test negative at 3 months after the completion of PEP.

It is not necessary to test any further assuming you get a negative at 3 months. I would suggest you discuss with your doctor about getting tested for other STDs, as they are much easier to transmit than HIV.

Good luck to you in getting through this. Make sure you get that professional support. This is not an experience to go through dealing with it alone. 
Andy Velez

Offline UNSURE1234

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
Andy,

Thank you so much. My local rape crisis center has been a godsend and I have been tested and treated for all other STIs that I may have contracted so that is a weight off my shoulders. I have already enrolled in counseling. I dont want to let some beast ruin my life ...but I am still dealing with this and I am just taking it day by day. Needless to say after finding this site I didn't feel I got enough information on what PEP was and how it works from the doctor that treated me. I feel a little better know that I understand it thanks to this amazing site. I was just scared about the time frame but I am ok now. Thank you again for your kind words Andy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:54:05 pm »
It sounds like you are doing everything that you ought to in terms of dealing with this awful experience. Hopefully you will come out of this ok as far as HIV is concerned.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Best of luck.
Andy Velez

Offline UNSURE1234

• Standard
RAPE POST PEP TESTING
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:20:58 pm »
RAPE POST PEP TESTING 

I was recently raped and I have a question about testing. I was placed on pep at 58 hours and completed it. I was told to test 4-6 weeks after finishing pep and then at three months post pep. I went for my first post pep test at 45 days after finishing pep and 10 weeks after the rape and the doctor tested me with an oral swab and not a blood test. It was negative. I was told this was a good indication of my status. My question to an expert out there would be should I ask for a blood test at my three month test ? My doctor stated that the oral swab test was highly accurate and at three months post pep was conclusive. He said he would give me a blood test but it is expensive and he didn't think it was necessary if i continued to test negative with the swab test. I just want to make sure this is the case. After reading through the message boards I just don't know what to think and want to have all the information possible. Does anyone have any advice? 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:40 pm »
I have merged your threads into one , please do not start another thread and if you have trouble finding your thread go to your profile and select show own post and it will take you to your there .

Your doctor is correct , the oraquick test is reliable and you can count on that your 3 month conclusive test is accurate when the time comes to take it . Best of luck to you . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:01:13 am »
If it gives you peace of mind, please ask for a blood test at three months. Oral tests are great, and if they err, they tend to err on the side of sensitivity (false positives) rather than specificity (false negatives.)

However, I understand that this means a great deal to you, and though it might take a few days to get your results, having that extra certainty might be of real use to you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 02:33:18 am »
sorry 2 hear , , thats terrible news

Hey AustralianMale!

I think it's grand that you can show support for someone in their time of need, but we really do insist that all folks stay on their  own thread and not give advice (or yes, even support) to others in this forum. Otherwise you can NOT imagine the cleanup work we would have to do here. This place would be a circus (and not the good kind of circus) if we didn't have these rules, which I know seem Draconian but are here for clarity.

Our hearts go out to anyone who is the victim of sexual assault, and we really want to give them the best possible space (and the best possible information.)

I removed your message so that you would still have one remaining free post. I did this because I am allowed to, and I have a soft spot in my heart for people with empathy.

I really appreciate your understanding.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:37:54 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.