Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dating and Relationships - Is it possible for women who are POZ?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline MissC1976

Dating and Relationships - Is it possible for women who are POZ?
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:54:11 pm »
Hello Ladies,

I have been POZ with both HIV and gentle herpes since 2000. My ex failed to tell me his ex-wife was infected. He left me at the end of 2003. Since then I have been single.

I have learned a lot during that time. The main issue or concern that woman have is when to disclose our health issues. To be honest this is what happened to me:

After my break up - I went down hill into a deep depression. In 2006 I finally got back on my feet and became ready to date. I started off slow. Get to know a guy, feel them out and find out what they felt about me before telling. Granted, I am a bold and upfront person. More so than most.

After telling them my health issues:

Over 90% of the men said no. 5% either physically or verbally abused me - accusing me of trying to infected them on purpose. The last 5% have been the men I have been in relationships with. Both POZ and negitive.

I waited until after the first kiss to disclose. I have told it on the first date. I have told it during phone conversations. The main thing I have learned over the years is this:

It is your choice on when to tell and who. I know I will be rejected, hurt, and turned away a lot, but I will never give up because I know there are men out there who have experienced this through close friends and family or who have educated themselves to understand.

What we must do as women is stick together. There are not too many of us, and the numbers are growing. Education, support, and communtion will help us all become stronger. I now live by my quote:

"Your world is what you make of it. Never what it is given to you."

I may have been given my health issue, but I won't let that get me down. Even in dating and relationships.

If you like, please post your answers or comments.

Thanks

MissC1976   ;D

Offline jay195

Re: Dating and Relationships - Is it possible for women who are POZ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 04:04:42 pm »
Hi ! I've said it before and I'll say it again, men are a waste of space ! most of them anyway. I've given up trying to find a half decent one. I suppose I've just been unlucky so I've learned to live with it.People are still ignorant when it comes to h.i.v.I was until I became infected and then I did my homework on it. People must take you for the person you are and if they can't then they are not worth knowing . Good luck xx

Offline karry

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:59:03 pm »
Hey MissC,
  I admire your courage about disclosing to men. Not many are capable of that and that actually shows you are a strong person.
  After my diagnosis too I thought I will never date....but I did... and I have had a taste too of dating neg and pos. It was easy to disclose to my ex (he was neg) because we were friends prior to that...he accepted me and things went well for a while until he decided he had to move on with someone else. Currently I am on my second experience post-diagnosis this time with a pos partner...and believe me I still face the ups-and downs of relationships....
  So what I am trying to say is that I do believe its possible to date and have a relationship as a pos woman...of course it could prove more challenging but it is possible..
 K.
Take it a day at a time....and be positive about it too!

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:28:05 pm »
Hi Miss C-

I like your attitude! I think it is possible, the problem is finding someone who isn't just out for the booty or thinks that you are damaged good therefore ,abuseable, if that is a word. ???

I met the guy I am with, back in 99, on one of the poz websites. We were off and on for a few years and moved into together in 04,   I had in my head that I would never want to be with a negative man because I didn't want to have to worry about infecting him.  I think it is all in what you feel comfortable with.  I had disclosed to a male friend at work, that was married with kids.  I thought of him like the brother I never had, after I told him, he got all lovey dovey with me. EEEWWWW!

To be honest, I am kind of with Jay, if this relationship doesn't last, I am going to fly solo. My plan is after my kids have graduated. I am going to sell my house, buy an RV, hopefully by then I will have a gay BFF, that likes to travel and hike, and we can travel cross country at our leisure. Hey, a girl can dream  ;)

I know it can be very disheartening, especially if you go the internet route.I seem to remember getting a lot of "package" or "sausage" pictures, there is nothing worse than knowing what a guy named his small head before you know anything about the actual guy, but there is someone out there for you. 

Good Luck!

Snow

Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline johnk57

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »
hi there are support groups where you can meet positive men, be honest up front good luck

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 09:36:38 am »
John,

Please read the Welcome Threads that appear at the top of many of the individual forums. Men are not permitted to post in the Women's forum and that is stated in this forums Welcome.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Suga

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »
I am 30 years old. I have been looking for a good man for a long time, befor and after my HIV. I feel the man who infected me took my life away. I was 23 at my diagnosis. Disclosure is not a problem for me it is who to tell and when. I have been abandoned, told on, lost my job, and beaten. Now I feel I do not deserve love. I wish I could share my life with someone.

Hopeless Suga

Offline jay195

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 07:21:22 pm »
what exactly is gentle herpes ?

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 07:38:31 pm »
Jay- I think MissC meant "genital herpes"

Suga- You definately deserve love, what you don't deserve is to be beaten or abandoned.  I know it isn't easy but you will find someone someday.  Talking to a therapist might help you to see that you are a good person that just happens to have a disease.  They can also help you deal with any future situations or confrontations you might have.

Good Luck and Stay Strong!

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline Sweet_C

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:29:33 pm »
Before we were diagnosed, my husband worked with a HIV + woman who got engaged to a HIV negative partner a couple of years after she tested positive.  I think when people fall in love, they are more willing to find ways to make things work.  I don't know whether she disclosed her status right away.  It seems that most people disclose right away. 

I think I would feel more comfortable just being friends with a guy first with no expectations of a relationship.  That way I could feel him out and get a gauge on what kind of person he is.  I'd really be afraid of disclosing to random guys because of the violence and for fear they'd reveal my status to someone I know.
Tested positive on September 11, 2008

Offline mdgjustlikeme

• M.D.G. JUST LIKE ME LIVING WITH HIV
    • www.hivwomenjustlikeme.com
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 09:46:17 am »
Hello Ladies,

I have been POZ with both HIV and gentle herpes since 2000. My ex failed to tell me his ex-wife was infected. He left me at the end of 2003. Since then I have been single.

I have learned a lot during that time. The main issue or concern that woman have is when to disclose our health issues. To be honest this is what happened to me:

After my break up - I went down hill into a deep depression. In 2006 I finally got back on my feet and became ready to date. I started off slow. Get to know a guy, feel them out and find out what they felt about me before telling. Granted, I am a bold and upfront person. More so than most.

After telling them my health issues:

Over 90% of the men said no. 5% either physically or verbally abused me - accusing me of trying to infected them on purpose. The last 5% have been the men I have been in relationships with. Both POZ and negitive.

I waited until after the first kiss to disclose. I have told it on the first date. I have told it during phone conversations. The main thing I have learned over the years is this:

It is your choice on when to tell and who. I know I will be rejected, hurt, and turned away a lot, but I will never give up because I know there are men out there who have experienced this through close friends and family or who have educated themselves to understand.

What we must do as women is stick together. There are not too many of us, and the numbers are growing. Education, support, and communtion will help us all become stronger. I now live by my quote:

"Your world is what you make of it. Never what it is given to you."

I may have been given my health issue, but I won't let that get me down. Even in dating and relationships.

If you like, please post your answers or comments.

Thanks

MissC1976   ;D

i just wanted to let you know there are men out there that are not hiv postive that you some day might meet, i have lived with hiv for 12 years i have been in a relationship with a wonderful man that is not hiv postive  good luck
M.D.G. JUST LIKE ME LIVING WITH HIV

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.