Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:47:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 670
Total: 670

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: query on testing method  (Read 14318 times)

Offline roltu

query on testing method
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:30:08 am »
I am not getting any authentic source or any information regarding ECLIA methodologies for HIV antibody testing.My question is...

1.What is an HIV antibody test by ECLIA method?
2.How reliable is the test?
3.Is ECLIA same as ELISA?
4.If it is not then what is the difference between ECLIA and ELISA for HIV testing?

n for ur info ECLIA stands for Electrochemiluminescence immunoassay (ECLIA). It has offered me by one of the  largest laboratory http://Ranbaxy in india. 

waiting for ur kind answer sir.........................

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: query on testing method
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:29:10 am »
Roltu, yes it is a perfectly reliable test.

You haven't mentioned what your risk was for HIV transmission. As long as you test negative at 13 weeks after the most recent risky incident you will have a conclusive and reliable result.
Andy Velez

Offline roltu

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:05 pm »
first of all thanx a lot sir for the info..

Actually I m roaming through this forum from many days after an incident happend to me before joining the forum, especially ur posts n ann's post made me so comfortable I can't describe in word,you people are too good.

well my story is, I m a 22 yr old guy from India who has first time made a mistake in his life by going to a sex worker for pleasure. Though I had used a condom which I took there of my own n as far I can recall it was not broken, n I didn't even ejaculate inside her vagina.I was inside her  for not more than 10 minutes. I know u people will say that this is no risk situation n it doesn't warrant testing. But my extreme paranoid mind can't rest in peace as this is my first ever sexual encounter in life. so from the night of the encounter I m just going through a severe trauma.So I had decided to go for testing.

the incident occurred  on 4th march,2010, after that I went through the series of test mentioned below.

1. after 18 days I have done p24 antigen test
   result->Negative
2. after 26 days I have done dna pcr and antibody test by eclia method
   result->both came back negative
3. at day 41 I have done hiv antibody test and western blot
   result->both came back negative

symptoms so far

1. dry cough from the next day which is coming and going.
2.a single tounge ulcer in 3rd week  and muscle aches specially in leg and hand,both stay for 1 week then gone
3. after that bumpy pimples like rash in chest which are scattered and placed in single, I can count them
4.tiredness is always there may be due to extreme anxiety n panic

Its 7 weeks going on rash still not going,till now no fever no lymph node,I have sore throat or not I don't know as I never feel any problem in eating.

whenever I try to not worry about the incident n hiv n want to convince my self I don't have that then again this symptoms driving my mind crazy n make me feel very worried.

Andy can I trust on my day 41 antibody test? n the negative pcr n p24 antigen ??

whenever I try to convi

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:44:04 pm »
It's no surprise that all of your results have been negative. And you are certain to continue to test negative. As you already know logically that you did not have a risk. But logic is different from emotions.

Becoming active sexually can be exciting and also very anxiety-provoking as  you are finding out. Just make sure to always use a condom for vaginal or anal intercourse and you will be well protected as far as HIV is concerned.

Your symptoms are something you should discuss with your doctor if they persist. Unfortunately right now you are busily misinterpreting everything that happens to your body as another sign of an HIV you don't have.

You can continue to test to 13 weeks for your peace of mind although I have no doubt you continue to get negative results.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline roltu

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »
Thanx a lot andy again, Ya I knw logically its not possible bt yet I can't convience myself. though I tested negative at six weeks but yet the 13 weeks things n this symptoms not leaving me. ya I will test at 13 weeks for the peace of mind. well can u tell me as 6 week =42 days so is there any virtual difference in testing result in 41 and 42 days coz I have done it at day 41??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »
No difference.
Andy Velez

Offline roltu

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 01:08:09 pm »
thanx , so I can trust on my 6 week negative test right? as it is highly unlikely to change.I will post here after my 13 weeks test. n thanx a lot for ur valuable words.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:34 pm »
Yes, you can trust that result. And collecting another of the same at 13 weeks is a certainty. 
Andy Velez

Offline roltu

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 04:53:41 am »
Hi andy,ann,teak and other experts plz help me.I am dying of anxiety........

I have done the following antibody test at 7 weeks

Test Description:-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vidas-bioMerieux-France (Hiv 1& 2 antibody Elisa)

Reference Range:-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactive if  OD>0.41 OD
Non-Reactive if OD<0.40 OD

My Result:-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Results came back 0.074 OD,that is <0.40 OD, which they stated Non-reactive.

Now the frightening part it is  supposed to come back 0 OD right?Do 0 OD never comes in this test?0.074 OD which is negative though but is that mean I have still hiv specific antibody present  in my body?I am in great confusion,Plz need urgent help who have knowledge about this test plz help me.Do that mean anything or its just their own range of declaring things.....plz help

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:19:15 am »
Hi andy,ann,teak and other experts plz help me.I am dying of anxiety........

I have done the following antibody test at 7 weeks

Test Description:-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vidas-bioMerieux-France (Hiv 1& 2 antibody Elisa)

Reference Range:-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactive if  OD>0.41 OD
Non-Reactive if OD<0.40 OD

My Result:-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Results came back 0.074 OD,that is <0.40 OD, which they stated Non-reactive.

Now the frightening part it is  supposed to come back 0 OD right?Do 0 OD never comes in this test?0.074 OD which is negative though but is that mean I have still hiv specific antibody present  in my body?I am in great confusion,Plz need urgent help who have knowledge about this test plz help me.Do that mean anything or its just their own range of declaring things.....plz help

0.074 is within the range for a negative result. Your 7 week test result is negative and reliably negative as you were not at risk.

If you test again at 13 weeks, the result will also be negative.

At this point I would suggest that you read our Welcome Thread and review the posting guidelines.

You will not be permitted make endless posts regarding a non-risk situation.

MtD

Offline roltu

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:03:52 am »
plz give an appropriate answer sir,

is that no one ever get a 0.0 OD result in that mention test?? is that OD count nothing to do with hiv antibody??do all get some kind of OD count whoever do this kind of test??  plz plz clarify  sir...

the thing which is freaking me out that at this 8 week m suffering form a bad cold,nasal congestion,coughing and a low grade fever 98.5 .yesterday it went to 99 for a moment then its come down to 98.5-98.6 and stuck there.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:35 am »
1. Those are not HIV-specific symptoms. Discuss them with your doctor if they persist.

2. You never actually had a risk for HIV. So testing is not necessary. If you continue testing it is strictly for your peace of mind and a negative result is a certainty.

3. If you continue returning here requesting more attention over a non-risk incident. you will very quickly find yourself getting a 28 day Time Out from the site.

4. I urge you to consider talking with a counselor or other mental health professional about your unwarranted fears about HIV. we can't help you with that need in this setting.

Andy Velez

Offline roltu

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 02:05:27 am »
hi

m worried yet again, after u people said that I had not at a risk to begin with, I tried a lot to forget about the incident , bt my non ending symptoms forced me to went for an hiv antibody test at 9th week, I went to a big n most prestigious hospital here in India, so I first talked with a counsellor,she first told me that I m worrying needlessly n I don't need any test,bt after insisting her for a hiv test she ordered an hiv antibody test n a cd4/cd8 count test. after 2 days of 9th week I got my antibody result back n the result came back Non-Reactive, bt they told me that I have to wait for 10 days to get the cd4/cd8 result,I was then quite relaxed as my 9th week antibody test came negative n not ever concerned with the cd4/cd8 test,bt 2 days back when I got my cd4/cd8 result my mind gone crazy like hell,

the result m describing below as per stated in my result

test     my result       normal range

cd4      458               400-1650
cd8      531               220  1000 someting
cd3      1100             720-3000 someting
cd4%   39.5%           20-59%
cd8%   45%              forgot the lowest range,highest was 48% most probably
cd4/cd8 0.9              0.9-1.6

The test was taken at 10:30 am morning, my cd4 is low,cd8 is rising, wot the hell is all that meaning, m I infected or m I still seroconverting at 9 th week, ar my all antibody test false negative,6th,7th,8th,9th???even my dna pcr n p24 antigen,,

the cd4 count is low that means are my immune system is suppressed though even I don't smoke,drink,  don't take drug n m not a cancer patient,this means my body is not creating antibody even after 9 week..I m crying all the day, m suffering from extreme fatigue n light headed,sometimes I get temp of 99 degree f, bt it only stay for 1-2 hours.

plz help me,plz m dying with fear.............my eyes are all tearful........m the only child of my parents n m just 22.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 02:14:36 am »
hi

m worried yet again, after u people said that I had not at a risk to begin with, I tried a lot to forget about the incident , bt my non ending symptoms forced me to went for an hiv antibody test at 9th week, I went to a big n most prestigious hospital here in India, so I first talked with a counsellor,she first told me that I m worrying needlessly n I don't need any test,bt after insisting her for a hiv test she ordered an hiv antibody test n a cd4/cd8 count test. after 2 days of 9th week I got my antibody result back n the result came back Non-Reactive, bt they told me that I have to wait for 10 days to get the cd4/cd8 result,I was then quite relaxed as my 9th week antibody test came negative n not ever concerned with the cd4/cd8 test,bt 2 days back when I got my cd4/cd8 result my mind gone crazy like hell,

the result m describing below as per stated in my result

test     my result       normal range

cd4      458               400-1650
cd8      531               220  1000 someting
cd3      1100             720-3000 someting
cd4%   39.5%           20-59%
cd8%   45%              forgot the lowest range,highest was 48% most probably
cd4/cd8 0.9              0.9-1.6

The test was taken at 10:30 am morning, my cd4 is low,cd8 is rising, wot the hell is all that meaning, m I infected or m I still seroconverting at 9 th week, ar my all antibody test false negative,6th,7th,8th,9th???even my dna pcr n p24 antigen,,

the cd4 count is low that means are my immune system is suppressed though even I don't smoke,drink,  don't take drug n m not a cancer patient,this means my body is not creating antibody even after 9 week..I m crying all the day, m suffering from extreme fatigue n light headed,sometimes I get temp of 99 degree f, bt it only stay for 1-2 hours.

plz help me,plz m dying with fear.............my eyes are all tearful........m the only child of my parents n m just 22.

You do not have HIV. You were not at risk and your negative HIV antibody test confirms that.

The blood test results you have posted above are all quite normal and what we would expect to see in someone who is HIV negative.

I think your time and money would be better spent speaking with a counsellor than pursuing more tests you simply do not need.

As you have been told previously, you will not be permitted to use this forum to post obsessively about non-risk situations. Please read our Welcome Thread and review the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline roltu

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 02:23:00 am »
thanx a lot matty,

bt plz request u to answer elaborately my below few questions,I will not ask again..plzzzzzzz

1. bt is not cd4 count is quite low respect to average, bt cd4 percentage is good as i heard that hiv neg person has cd4% of around 40% mine is 39.5%, bt isn't the cd8% is little high??

2. which should I believe the cd4% or cd4 count which is appropriate??

3. does the count vary from day to day or lab to lab??

4.do low cd4 means suppressed immune system n take much time to create antibodies to hiv than regular??

plz do clarify n enlighten me, I will not ask again..............

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 02:25:44 am »
thanx a lot matty,

bt plz request u to answer elaborately my below few questions,I will not ask again..plzzzzzzz

1. bt is not cd4 count is quite low respect to average, bt cd4 percentage is good as i heard that hiv neg person has cd4% of around 40% mine is 39.5%, bt isn't the cd8% is little high??

2. which should I believe the cd4% or cd4 count which is appropriate??

3. does the count vary from day to day or lab to lab??

4.do low cd4 means suppressed immune system n take much time to create antibodies to hiv than regular??

plz do clarify n enlighten me, I will not ask again..............

I have answered your questions already. All you need to know is this:

1. You were not at risk of HIV infection in the first place.
2. You do not have HIV.
3. Your negative HIV antibody test result confirms this.
4. The other blood test results are consistent with you being HIV negative, that is they are within normal clinical ranges.

Oh, yeah there's one other thing. I've referred this thread to our Moderators for review as you are in breach of the posting guidelines I linked you to in my earlier post.

MtD

Offline roltu

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 02:32:46 am »
why can't u understand my simple question?? I just need the clarification about the cd4/cd8 thus I can educate myself about this kind of test n easily interpret future result of mine or others who need help, I believe in ur words n other experts that I had no risk n I really respect u people a lot, bt need ur kind help so plz do clarify about the test,n I shall never ask or irritate u people.............

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 02:56:52 am »
why can't u understand my simple question?? I just need the clarification about the cd4/cd8 thus I can educate myself about this kind of test n easily interpret future result of mine or others who need help, I believe in ur words n other experts that I had no risk n I really respect u people a lot, bt need ur kind help so plz do clarify about the test,n I shall never ask or irritate u people.............

I do understand your "simple question" and I have answered the damned thing.

Your test results (including the CD4:CD8 ratio) are within the normal clinical range.

MtD

Offline roltu

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 03:09:01 am »
thanx again matty,

bt I can't understand why is it in the lower side of the range?? is that mean my next text at 12 week is going to be postive? , or can a low cd4 suppress the immune system n prevent to create antibodies?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 03:24:22 am »
   Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline roltu

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 07:15:18 am »
hi andy,

I can't get any informative answer regarding my last question abt cd4 test, can u plz elaborate something about this matter, plz sir m really waiting for a kind answer..I m currently feeling very week, n so nervous that my 12 week test is going to come positive............waiting for ur kind reply sir

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 07:37:49 am »
Fortunately feelings are not facts. A negative test result is a fact. You have reliably tested negative for HIV.

If you have concerns about your health that is something to discuss with your doctor.

It is not our job to respond repeatedly to your concerns about details of your CD count. If you continue to return with concerns about your status when we know you're negative, you are going to get a Time Out from the site. Consider yourself warned.

Andy Velez

Offline roltu

worried all over gain
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 01:56:19 pm »
Hi , this is roltu. I m worried all over again after an incident with a CSW  2 weeks ago, last year you people (specially Andy,Ann) helped me with my anxiety after had an protected incident with a CSW. bt today m again facing the head breaking anxiety after a non exposure incident, 2 weeks ago I had lip kissed a CSW, it was just 2-3 times lip to lip (closed mouth) kissing, and also got scratched on my arm while she roaming with her hand in my body. Now m worried regarding HIV as I got some rashes 1 week later after the occasion  in my right rib and few in back.(during the lip kiss i had some cut on my lip bt not bleeding) . Please help me , m freaking frighten with the rashes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:05:04 pm by roltu »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 02:06:33 pm »
First of all, I have merged your threads here. Please follow our rule and keep all entries in this same thread.

Once again you are worrying with absolutely no basis in HIV science. The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Period. That's it.

We're not going to do another round of worries and what ifs over this kissing incident. Kissing is not a risk for HIV. It's not who are you with sexually but what you do that matters. As long as you always use condoms for intercourse you will be well protected.

You've been given all the information that you need to protect yourself. If you return again with this kind of non-risk stuff you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site. Consider yourself warned.

Andy Velez

Offline roltu

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:47 am »
Hi Andy/Ann,

Hope you people are doing well. I have a query actually that is after having protected sex I have test for hiv antibody and dna pcr out of panic at the 7.1 week mark and it came out negative. As I knew I was at zero risk so I was ok with the result. But exactly 2 weeks after drawing my blood for the last test I got typical symptoms like, tingling sensation in lower teeth along with canker sore, loose bowel syndrome and leg pain and some cold sensation sometimes paryicularly when i m in air conditioned room. Now m worrying by looking at the time frame and the symptoms about the blood drawn incident. Is it possible to get hiv from blood draw? I m in severe panic after this . I need a scientific explanation whether it is possible to get infected during blood draw in any clinic. please help

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:18 am »
Roltul,

NO, you are NOT going to become infected from the blood draw. You're letting your imagination run wild. Stop it.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline roltu

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:47 am »
Thanks Ann, for ur quick response, then how come drug user got that from needle use? and one thing do you think that my symptoms which I have mentioned is the typical that is consistent with ars, please do tell

Offline roltu

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:28 pm »
Hi Ann,

I want a last reassurance, Do I really need testing over this testing episode? Is there anyway anyhow chance of getting infected through blood draw in clinic even if it is reused, some one told me that a vacutainer used in lab have no ability to inject anything in vein as its sole purpose is to withdraw blood, so as long there is no injection there is no possibility of getting infected is this true?. I am asking this because its been 36 days n m going through a sore throat with mild cough along with diarrhea, However the canker sore is gone after using of listerine, though I have no fever, rash . please tell me something reassuring, as I am very much terrified with this symptom. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2011, 01:20:31 pm »
Discuss your "symptoms" with your doctor if they persist.

As in the past you once again have not had a risk for HIV. If you return again about the same thing I can guarantee you will get a Time Out.

HIV is not your problem. It's your unfounded concerns that are the problem. We can't help you with that here. Get some professional help if you can't let go of these totally unfounded fears.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.