Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 123
Total: 125

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World of Warcraft....  (Read 3729 times)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
World of Warcraft....
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:31:29 pm »
Since we have a pretty eclectic group on these forums, I decided to ask if anyone can give me any pointers on The World of Warcraft, you know the computer game. William Shatner (aka Captain Kirk) and Mr. T has done commercials for the game..

I just bought it as a Xmas gift to myself and am having the damndest time trying to figure it out. I am a Mage (no surprise there) but I do not know how to get a better weapon than what I have. I finally figured out how to equip certain armor but am not sure what to do with the extra things I have picked up since doing a few quests. I like the game and has spent hours playing it but I know there should be more that I can do. And yes, I have the manual but it is not really helping, neither is the site.... ???

(known as CapriGoddess for the Alliance for those who play) :-*
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: World of Warcraft....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:16:24 pm »
I have no eartly idea what the heck you are talking about.  BUT my dear sweet brother who is being brought here from the airport by my wonderful parents is a gamer and chances are he knows EXACTLY what's up and how to help you.  I will pass on your question to him and post his answer.
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline poz1970

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:17:11 pm »
hey,

I was playing it particularly extensively for a few years.. only stopped a few months ago, when the monthly fees started to affect my eating habits.

as a mage, you can only wear cloth armor... (are you a gnome mage? :-) (note: pink pony tails are cute on a gnome :-)

You have two trinket slots, a neck slot, an offhand slot, and a ranged weapon slot (for a wand)... mostly everything is to boost your stats, as a mage, you'll want to invest heavily on armor which increases your intelligence stamina and to a lesser extent, your spirit (increases your health/mana regen)

I used to LOVE the game too, lvl 70 priest lvl 70 hunter.. was in a full raiding guild, and had my epic flying mount etc :-)) then went through a period where i was on sedatives alot, and well, that sorta screwed up casting spells at important times , when I quit, i sold my 9000gold to a guildy for $350USD (which bought me lots of food! (and a pair of jeans ;-))

It is a very very addictive game once you get into it, often referred to as "WoWcrack".. there is a HIV positive guild on a server which I can't remember off of the top of my head, which was called "Spreading the Taint" (horde guild), but they got told to change the name (one of their members has a blog, www.geekslut.org)

I wish you the best of luck with the game, its sooooo much fun, i sorta wish I could afford to play it still.... filled a major void in my life, and being in a raiding guild, it was fantastic to be needed, and to play a part in a team (40 man raids (when the level cap was still 60) were incredible :-)))))

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :-)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:33:22 pm »
Thanks Poz. I will be depending on you a lot. My Godson was playing it for awhile but now he has moved on to Halo. I got curious about it really from those damn commercials. I'm pretty good with food and stuff since acquiring a room mate so I should be able to pull it off for a bit. At the moment, I am on my 30 day trial so I am trying to build a lot on the free time. Just trying to learn the basics is killing me. Damn people keep asking me to join their freaking group and I keep denying them. What help can I be if I don't know what the hell I am doing? ;D

Since you have offered your assistance, I do have some questions. Ok, when I first started, I was killing wolves and picking things up off of their corpses. What good are the fangs, claws and ruined pelts? Can I take them anywhere like in the Trade District? I am only a Lv 3 Mage, what must I do to build my levels? Do more quests? Your help is truly appreciated.

And about it being addictive, well, I am addicted to weed. I got to do something to keep my brain active... ;) It was why I had a PS2 but I gave that to my son. :-\ And Mom, any help you can offer will be appreciated as well...
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Grinch

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:35:30 pm »
Been playing since closed beta.  Guild officer, raiding guild blah blah blah.  The game helped get me through Chemo.
I'm assuming you're <20 based on your description.  Your weapons will drop of Mobs (Monsters etc).  As a mage you shouldn't be hitting things with a stick or stabbing things. you should be at range blasting things.
 Pick Fire, frost, or arcane and put your talent points in one tree.  I recommend frost for soloing and leveling then fire for making things go boom at level 70.  Learn tailoring and enchanting to get some gear.
Every two levels go learn new spells, after level 10 you get  talent point every level.  Go learn first aid and cooking.  If you're not too advanced or attached to your toon, consider going Horde, a lot more grown up guilds as a general rule.  We run 25 person raids a couple nights a week and insist on +21 for membership.  Quite a few women in the guild with yearly BBQ's.
Have fun and feel free to PM with questions.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 10:56:57 pm »
OK you posted before my reply. 
You can sell stuff to any vendor, your cursor will turn into a little bag  when you mouse over them.
Level by killing things close to your level and completing quests.  You'll need to group with others to get the better gear from instances but that doesn't happen until level 15 or so.  When you loot corpses if an item's writing is grey its junk just sell it,  if it's white it's useful to someone, if it's green it's magic, blue it's rare and purple is Epic.
Green and blue items can be sold for more money on the Auction house. Epics won't drop til much later. 

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 10:59:19 pm »
Been playing since closed beta.  Guild officer, raiding guild blah blah blah.  The game helped get me through Chemo.
I'm assuming you're <20 based on your description.  Your weapons will drop of Mobs (Monsters etc).  As a mage you shouldn't be hitting things with a stick or stabbing things. you should be at range blasting things.
 Pick Fire, frost, or arcane and put your talent points in one tree.  I recommend frost for soloing and leveling then fire for making things go boom at level 70.  Learn tailoring and enchanting to get some gear.
Every two levels go learn new spells, after level 10 you get  talent point every level.  Go learn first aid and cooking.  If you're not too advanced or attached to your toon, consider going Horde, a lot more grown up guilds as a general rule.  We run 25 person raids a couple nights a week and insist on +21 for membership.  Quite a few women in the guild with yearly BBQ's.
Have fun and feel free to PM with questions.

What do you mean about the weapons? I don't know the first thing about how to even blast anything. I suck royally right now but only cause I don't know what to do. Once I get the basics my levels will get better. How do you pick fire or frost?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 11:00:01 pm »
My partner won't let me play World of Warcraft because he fears I will revert to complete and total geekhood. When we met I spent (he would say wasted) a lot of time reading comics, watching sci-fi and playing role-playing games, both on computer and with other people. I still watch and read sci-fi and buy a few comics, but I've cut way back. Truth is I don't have time to play my Xbox lately, much less an immersive game like Warcraft.

Good luck and have fun, Queen!

Offline Grinch

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 11:20:57 pm »
Ok, no problem, I spent weeks teaching my friend to play her mage, now she's all geared out and bad ass.
If you open your spell book you'll see different spells. click and drag your first spell..Ice bolt or some such... to your hot bar...little squares bottom left of your screen, if it's not there already.  If it's in the second square and you have a mob targeted..just click it... and you push your "2" button on your keyboard, you'll blast it with your ice bolt.  You can click the spell too but get into the habit of using hot keys.
Because you can't wear armour, only cloth, you don't want to walk up to a mob and hit it with your stick or little knife....just shoot it with your spells.  Later you'll group with a warrior or some other armour wearing class and let him get hit while you stand back and blast away. 

Since you're level 3 go to the mage trainer and learn your new spells.  Drag them to your hot bar too.  Frost bolt slows the mob so you can learn to "kite".  Shoot it, run back a couple steps, shoot again  rinse and repeat til its dead. Let me know when you hit level 10 and I'll help you pick your "spec" (Specialty).  We'll set you up with frost to start.

Welcome to Warcrack and be prepared to enter new levels of geekdom.  If you get really stuck I'll make a character on your server and walk you through a few things to get you rolling.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 12:38:59 pm »
I think you better make a character and come join me sweetie. I forget the server I am on, next time I play I will pay more attention. All I remember is that it starts with a T. I'm going to have to write this stuff down.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 06:17:19 pm »
My brother is over and I asked him about the game.  He said he's heard of it, but he's never played it.  Guess he's not as smart as I thought he was ;D

mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 07:11:40 pm »
Ok, I have been getting some help with my Mage. I did change servers though. I now go by Angeliique and am on the Exodar server for those willing to help me or want to run together. I am on a different times but notices it is usually best to be on in the evening. Now that I know a little bit, it has proven to be more fun. I was on Friday night til 7am. I can see how it is addicting but I think the commercials are cute...Anyone see the new one with Vern Troyer(Mini Me from Austin Powers)?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.